Modern Gretsch Guitars

Help please! Whats this G5120?

So... this listing mentions some cosmetic changes that a previous owner has made and not all for the better. I was thinking that some other items not mentioned in the description have been changed e.g. pickups? tailpiece? Sperzel tuners? longhorn logo in place of electromatic logo?

Serial No. makes it a Korean build from 2011, if I am right.

Can any of you fine experts say what the "upgrades" if any are on this and what was on it as stock?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/...

Korean..Yes, Upgrades. Upgraded Bigsby, Upgraded Pickups are either TV Jones or Gretsch Filtertrons, Bridge is a "Compton", F Holes Accented in white, Headstock face is changed, Sparzel tuners, Treble cut switch added, I would also figure the wireing is also upgraded , It has everything changed and upgraded to a close match of a 6120 without the price tag!! Even the "Lucky Lady" a la Brian Setzer.

Thanks Keith. I now see that type of "Lucky Lady" sticker on Setzers guitars. Hadn't paid too much attention to that detail before. Looks kind of like filtertrons to me but not that clear from the pics. So the treble cut switch is what we sometimes call the "mud switch"? I have one on my "Malcolm Young 6131". The wiring would have to have been redone to take that then? I had not noticed the "compton" bridge. Is that considered a good upgrade on a guitar like this over say a roller bridge? Do you think the headstock used to say ELECTROMATIC down the centre? Does anyone think that the white binding that has been added could be easily removed and/or re-done better with out damaging original finish underneath?

After looking again, Note the Jack plate added and the F Holes have been reworked to be more like a 6120 (electromatics have the points squared off) The binding would probably be painted on,

and the Compton bridges are "to each his own", I have 3 Gretches and have Comptons on all 3.

The Compton is better than a roller bridge, as it has no moving parts to rattle and dampen the sustain, and it matches the radius of the fret board.

The Compton, however, is not as good as a Tru-Arc which does the same but it also rocks so as to avoid dragging the strings across the bridge while using the Bigsby. TruArc also has a compensated version for good intonation. Worth every penny.

They both come in a variety of materials.

Thanks very much for the helpful info guys.

After looking again, Note the Jack plate added and the F Holes have been reworked to be more like a 6120 (electromatics have the points squared off) The binding would probably be painted on,

– keithzorn

Look closely! There's a gap between the jack plate and the body. It's not flush.

It also has jewel knobs if you zoom in for a close look.

If you can get it £500, it'll be like paying for all the up grades - (Sperzels, Compton, Filters, Knobs, wiring loom? & V Cut Bigsby) with the guitar thrown in. But it is in Cash Convertors, your choice. Best of luck.

If you can get it £500, it'll be like paying for all the up grades - (Sperzels, Compton, Filters, Knobs, wiring loom? & V Cut Bigsby) with the guitar thrown in. But it is in Cash Convertors, your choice. Best of luck.

– Mr Tubs

I did not realise that cc was cash converters...thanks. Listing disappeared this morning. Looks like they may not have been aware of what they had. I guess someone walked into the shop and snagged a bargain.

Well well......This 5120 as 6120 has been re-listed after it disappeared before its end date last week. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/...

I nearly bought it, but in the meantime I did buy a 2016 G5420 which is just beautiful and sounds great. Got it 2nd hand at £500 and it still had the cellophane on the pick guard and truss rod cover.

Does anyone know where that Lady Luck Setzer sticker in black only can be got?

Congrats! From what I have heard, the G5420 is an even better guitar than my beloved 5120. Gretsch seems to continuously improve their Electromatics.

Register Sign in to join the conversation