Modern Gretsch Guitars

Help me pick a strap for my Anny

Here's my Anny:

I have a tan Levy's strap on there now. I'm not nuts about it cosmetically. I tend to like Levy's brand straps for comfort and quality, but willing to consider others.

What would you do? Green strap? Keep the tan? Something else?

Tan. Green is nice but some contrast is needed

I ran into this one on the Levy's website. Thoughts?

I've been using Lock It Straps for quite a while now, fenderjapan. They have a locking mechanism built into the strap, surrounded by real leather, so it won't marr the finish. They lock onto any guitar very securely, and I've never had one come unlocked. They have lots of different colors and are available in, leather, polypro, cotton, and Retro Vintage materials.

I've come to prefer them to the Fender and Dunlap type of strap locks, because it doesn't require any modification to the guitars strap buttons. They can also be used on any guitar. I buy mine from online guitar stores, like Guitar Center or Musicians Friend. Check out their website :

Lock It

Lock It Straps. Here's a picture of one of their lines. They have lock mechanisms on both ends.

Have something made that suits your needs, I use Heistercamp Straps.

With my beloved Annie I have two straps, a fender tweed strap, nice because it fits on the screwed Gretsch strap knobs and is thin so I can let the strap fitted and put the guitar in the case... I liked the tweed /two tone combo. Now I have a padded leather strap with straplocks but it no longer goes in the case

Wade, you say you can use the lock it straps with the screwed Gretsch strap buttons ? I will take a look at them :)

I’ve started using straps from Walker&Williams.Not very expensive at all but well made. https://walkerandwilliams.com/

– Michael Williams

Agree. Good quality and their site is a toy store.

Wade, you say you can use the lock it straps with the screwed Gretsch strap buttons ? I will take a look at them :)

– petit professeur

petit professeur, being made from thick leather, the hole in the end of the strap is stiff at first, and is a bit difficult to get over the buttons (on any guitar) the first several times. But they break in nicely, and become progressively easier to attach. They definitely will fit over the Gretsch screw in buttons.

The actual lock, is spring loaded, and slid backwards by your thumb while attaching, it then moves forward, to lock onto the button, when released. I don't have a picture of one locked onto my Gretsch guitar, but here's one locked onto my Gibson Les Paul Classic. The diameter of the button on this guitar, is even wider than the diameter of the Gretsch screw in buttons.

I never have a strap the same color as the guitar - contrasts are important to me - most of the time. Generally I go with black even on a black guitar.

I have or had an off-colour Levy’s strap, it was a mishap green, it was supposed to be tan. It didn’t last very long, it deteriorated. It must have been from a bad cow.

Aye,black goes with everything!

Check out franklinstraps.com for some nice ones. The picture here doesn’t show all that well, but a black leather strap with green stitching may be the answer. I have one for my green Gent plus one with red stitching on my 6122-1959. They look good and are comfortable.

I’ve started using straps from Walker&Williams.Not very expensive at all but well made. https://walkerandwilliams.com/

– Michael Williams

Thanks for the tip. These look great at a great price.

Buy a long leather belt blank and put a hole in each end. Stain it whatever color you like.

Thanks for the tip. These look great at a great price.

– Bob Howard

Welcome Bob...gave one to my son for his Setzer 6120.Nicely padded,soft,strong but comfortably pliable.

I'm a fan of the Walker and Williams C-18 strap for $29. It makes the similarly styled and priced Fender strap seem like absolute garbage in comparison

I'm a fan of the Walker and Williams C-18 strap for $29. It makes the similarly styled and priced Fender strap seem like absolute garbage in comparison

– fistpicker

Yep....this the one I use on my 6120 also.

Billy Zoom's suggestion is definitely a good one. I have a number of non-adjustable straps that I made from strips of good leather.

If that's too DIY for you, I think a Guild "Vintage Leather Shoulder Pad" strap in natural leather would be a very good match for a Smoke Green Annie. I've seen 'em in person, and they are much nicer than current production Fender or Gretsch straps, but not as fancy or expensive as El Dorado straps, which are pretty much the gold standard.

Here's the link.

Register Sign in to join the conversation