Modern Gretsch Guitars

Help identifying my new/old Electromatic model

New member! I just bought a purported G5435T Pro Jet on Reverb. I love it, but I think it's mis-identfied. It looks about right, black single cut with Bigsby. (Picture attached.) But it has only two control knobs (one volume, one tone) like a recently advertised Jet Club, and it weighs about 10 lbs when it's supposed to be chambered. It seems kind of un-new, with hairline cracks along the neck binding.

Can anyone help me with the correct model number, or approximate year of manufacture? Thanks!

G5235-T Electromatic Pro Jet... Made from 2005 to 2011. The Pro Jet was revamped to its current version in 2012.

The serial number on the back of the headstock will give you the exact year.. first 4 digits after the "CYG" prefix will decode the month and year of manufacture as "yymm". For example, if the first 4 digits are "0906", then the guitar was built in June 2009.

See more here:

http://gretschpages.com/gui...

The comment right above mine is your answer. They're great guitars. Some people don't like the stock mini-humbuckers, but I think they're pretty good and definitely sound like a Gretsch. Right now I own three guitars, and it's probably my favorite of the three.

As I understand it, they started out unchambered and were chambered in varying degrees as time went on. The older ones are really heavy and the newer ones were considerably lighter.

G5235-T Electromatic Pro Jet... Made from 2005 to 2011. The Pro Jet was revamped to its current version in 2012.

The serial number on the back of the headstock will give you the exact year.. first 4 digits after the "CYG" prefix will decode the month and year of manufacture as "yymm". For example, if the first 4 digits are "0906", then the guitar was built in June 2009.

See more here:

http://gretschpages.com/gui...

– Tartan Phantom

Very helpful! There are a number of examples posted, all configured like mine (some red ones). The serial number indicates December, 2007. My guitar seems to have aged well, then. Thanks!

Yup, I got a heavy one from late 2007. Nice tone, though. Thanks so much!

As others have said, it's a G5235T---I've got an '08 125th Anniversary model---otherwise, the same guitar. It has the so-so minihumbuckers. They're great models, and easy to upgrade. They only have two controls---volume and tone---and a pickup switch. Mine's 10 pounds.

A question for the modders---can English mount pickups fit into this?

Hello, Chuck, welcome aboard! That's a nice guitar you've identified, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Nice guitar If modding is your thing: A B3 or G tailpiece fit nicely. P90s soapbar pickups or Dearmond 2000s or 2Ks are almost a drop in replacement

For a mod using Filtertron sized pickups you may look at this https://tvjones.com/pages/p...

I like mine, although I replaced the stock pickups with a soapbar P90 at the neck and a soapbar-size TV Jones Filtertron in the bridge position -- they just drop in although you need a piece of ply or something to act as a bridge for the inboard soapbar mounting screws. I also run the strings over the top of the Bigsby tension bar directly to the bridge for a much softer Bigsby feel.

I recently changed mine up from the b50 and TV Jones T-90's to a brief stint with a b3 and then a b7 and TV jones classics.

Personally I prefer the sound of the tension bar bigsby on this guitar. A b3 sounded ... not sure how to describe it but it sounded like I was hearing the strings on the frets instead of the body. It was similar to what I don't like about some strat sounds. The tension bar gave it a full sound with strong low end.

Register Sign in to join the conversation