Modern Gretsch Guitars

Help: F’ing f-holes

Does this hapoen to you? Doesn’t matter what LS shirt I wear, the darn f-hole pointy part catches it constantly. Solutions?

Blue jeans, T shirt, cowboy boots. Works every time.

Solution: Cat-eyes

Wow, never seen that. Rubber band around your cuff maybe..?

All the time and with every Gretsch -- except the cats-eye! Roll them cuffs up.

Never seen or had that, you must have some kind of steam locomotive-style strumming pattern .

I’m thinking rolling the sleeve back is the best answer. Sleeves are not very rock’n’roll anyway.

Roll them up to your elbow. Problem solved :)

Rotate the belt buckle and roll up the sleeves.

Solution: Stop wearing Seinfeld pirate shirts to your gigs.

This has never, ever happened to me. Not even once. I would love to see just how you are playing your guitar when this occurs.

And now you know the real reason for painted f-holes. Chet got tired of catching his shirts!

My solution- a 6122.

Problem solved.

I was going to say that never happened to me and I always wore suits and dress shirts...then I realized I was always playing a Tennessean.

Yes, that has happened to me too. Not very often though... Roll up your sleeve or wear a T shirt....

Yes it does every once in a while.

edit: Didn't really know what to expect in this thread with this title...

Amputating your arm would get rid of the need for a sleeve AND be better for the finish.

Solution: Stop wearing Seinfeld pirate shirts to your gigs.

This has never, ever happened to me. Not even once. I would love to see just how you are playing your guitar when this occurs.

– Ric12string

hahahaha first thing I thought of

I have had this happen but I rarely wear long sleeves, especially when playing.

Thanks for the suggestions! At least I’m not the ONLY one.

Lots of my heros wore long sleeves (and leather jackets!) while playing. But mainly, its cold. The long sleeves are staying.

To clarify, its not the strumming. Its that I usually pull the sleeve up slightly to make sure it doesnt get in the way of any palm muting or brush against the strings when I reach down for the bigsby. But I dont push it all the way up near my elbow since then it bunches up around where my arm rests on the bout and is kind of uncomfortable.

So I guess I need to compromise but I don’t have this problem with my ES-335 or my 5126 maybe because the f-holes isnt so pointy, as you can see in the pic.

Yes it does every once in a while.

edit: Didn't really know what to expect in this thread with this title...

– Mike2000

Me too. I thought it was a disgruntled customer

Register Sign in to join the conversation