Modern Gretsch Guitars

Hard tail to Bigsby on 6128 - what will it do to the sound and sust…

Hi, long time member but rare poster as I usually play a Guild Duane Eddy.

I've recently bought a 6128 hard tail because the price was right, I'm a Cliff Gallup fan, and, well, I wanted it.

I'm a Bigsby enthusiast and usually use vibrato in my playing, but I'm enjoying the sound from this instrument as it is: great versatility, capable of surf tones but also classic rock.

If I fit a B3C am I likely to lose sustain? what other changes might I expect?

Thanks in advance.

Toby

I don’t think you will have a change in tone. My Dyna equipped silver jet came with a Bigsby (best tone ever) but my two pro jets were hard tail and I added Bigsbys with no change in tone.

I have replaced "hard tails" with Bigsby on various guitars (including Gibson and a new D'Angelico) and have never found any changes in tone or (IMO) sustain. Some may question the sustain aspect since a Bigsby has more moving parts. I have never been able to detect any difference.

Hi, long time member but rare poster as I usually play a Guild Duane Eddy.

I've recently bought a 6128 hard tail because the price was right, I'm a Cliff Gallup fan, and, well, I wanted it.

I'm a Bigsby enthusiast and usually use vibrato in my playing, but I'm enjoying the sound from this instrument as it is: great versatility, capable of surf tones but also classic rock.

If I fit a B3C am I likely to lose sustain? what other changes might I expect?

Thanks in advance.

Toby

– parker_knoll

Is it a G tailpiece? I'll buy it from you if decide to go for the bigsby. I'm going the opposite way on my 6128.

yes it is. I will let you know but I may retain it for resale in the future.

If you're going from a G-tailpiece to a Bigsby setup, you won't lose sustain, I've found on bigger archtops you may actually gain some - the strings are anchored in something with more weight and mass than before.

Is it a G tailpiece? I'll buy it from you if decide to go for the bigsby. I'm going the opposite way on my 6128.

– Chmason85

Did you get my PM? I have 2 that I'd trade for your Bigsby.....at least I think they're what you're looking for.

I have added a Bigsby to most of my archtops. Never really noticed a difference in sustain but have noticed a difference in the feel. I don’t know why but it has always felt a bit tighter, has anyone else experienced this?

Did you get my PM? I have 2 that I'd trade for your Bigsby.....at least I think they're what you're looking for.

– hilosean

I dont think I got that, are they the smooth ones?

If setup properly, and used properly...a Bigsby will always increase sustain quite a bit.

Thanks all. Yes, I've always found Bigsbies are advantageous sonically on hollowbodies. I just didn't want to "break" whatever was good about the sound in this case.

– Chmason85

I'd prefer to go for a trade if you're offering that

Register Sign in to join the conversation