Modern Gretsch Guitars

Gretsch with three pickups.

I like the possibilities, and at $495 it was a good deal.

Frampton and his lost/found 1954 LP 3 pu..

Aside from my Strats, the only other guitar I have with 3 pups is my g5622t.

The combination of tones that 3 Hilo-Trons offer is broad and generous.

I do love those cats eye sound holes, too.

– piratesrule

You did well. Congrats. I have thought about doing this to my Corvette.

I will play with the pickup selection, some original FilterTrons from the late 50s through the early 60s would be nice.

There is also a Yes guitar to peruse..

I like three pickups. Can you get the out-of-phase quacking tone with only two?

While I haven't tried a three-pickup 5622, I probably am not driven to do so simply because I already have a three-pickup Strat. (And a four-pickup DiPinto Galaxie 4.) So, I already can get that quacking tone.

– Ric12string

I was surprised how much my modern 6120DC has a Strat-like quack. I find it to be a pleasing clean tone with both bridge and bridge+neck positions. With AC30 distortion the tone is incredible in any position. I remember reading a post in this forum by Ade(?) which explains the tone is a by-product of positioning the bridge pickup to make room for the wretched mutes. Never felt I had the chops to be a Strat player so I stick closer to a Tele and the DC which provide a great variety of tones and playing feel.

Thanks Proteus! Yeah. That's an Eminence C10GHD. I'm toying with the idea of tracking one of those down to try with a Quilter. k

My g5622t has admittedly whet my curiosity for other 3 pickup guitars out there. The Frampton Phenix has been mentioned already. Epiphone's tribute model has been a temptation for me, but I have a LP pro that I'm very happy with.

.. I could fall for an Epi Riviera P93 though.

Another guitarist who enjoyed 3 pups (aside from his Strats) was Frank Zappa.

Being heavily into R&B and players like Johnny 'Guitar' Watson, Zappa loved the tones and versatility of his Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster. It was his go-to for the first 5 years with The Mothers. Everything he played on their first 3 albums was on that guitar.

When they began playing larger venues he kept having uncontrollable feedback issues, and didn't want to just plug the sound holes.
Evidently before he retired it for solid body guitars, the Switchmaster underwent some significant modifications.

Yavapai, I've also got a Rickenbacker 350V63 in Fireglo, but there is an Accent Vibrato on mine. When I select the middle and neck pickups, I get a real nice "quack", similar to a Strat.

My very first guitar from 1965. Had it a few months and then traded it for a Strat. Great sounds from the DeArmonds!

– piratesrule

Thanks for posting Frampton.

Takes me back to when I was 14 years old and snuck into JFK stadium to see him, Yes, and Gary Wright!

Register Sign in to join the conversation