Modern Gretsch Guitars

Gretsch with three pickups.

Three pickup guitars are OK with me, especially if they're P90s.

I made my own from a 05 Electromatic pro jet Tv Jones classic classic plus with a vintage super pickup.

Nathan

It's hard to argue about P90s. But the Epi P93 that I sat down with recently weighed more than my Miata, Other than that, pretty versatile.

They have their place but there's a lot of wires and a lot of magnets. I picked up an old 58 Les Paul Jr. that's in for a set up that has a P90 in the bridge, the thing is if you work the tone control and volume you can make it sound like it has a neck pickup.

I made my own from a 05 Electromatic pro jet Tv Jones classic classic plus with a vintage super pickup.

Nathan

– nnieman

Totally unfair! You can't use your dogs blanket for a guitar rag!

Definitely their own thing, methinx.

‘Nother vote for 3-PUP Rickenbackages. (The little fifth knobs have all been replaced with push-pulls set up to remove the mid PUP from the circuit if warranted.)

Who could forget the The Wenzel?

Chris was never the same after he took that piece of Spruce/maple lam out.

Not sure I could be friends with someone who didn’t like Mark Knophler or Pink Floyd? I’ll have to have another cup of coffee and contemplate that.....

– Curt Wilson

The original inspiration for my love affair with using felt knob pads on my Gretsch guitars. Chris did it first, though I think he initially took the idea from the felt pads on the Country Gent mute system.

– Curt Wilson

I remember that! So cool. Thanks for the memories.

This one is kinda sad,what are some people smokin'..

The neck pickup and neck-middle pickup sounds are the main reasons I built a parts Strat after I sold mine to help fund my Duo Jet. I realized it was absolutely essential if I want to bring the funk. Adding a TV Jones Power'Tron as the bridge pickup was an afterthought and one of the most successful mods I have ever done. It is the PERFECT bridge pickup for a Strat.

Personally, I like having the middle pickup to get Strat-ish sounds without having to use a Strat, as I've never gotten comfortable with the vibrato arm position or the volume knob location. So I've modded a few of my guitars over the years to have a middle pickup. This one used to be Setzer's, and the tones are great.

In the past few years I started winding my own pickups and have managed to design something which gets enough of a hint of Strat quack out of two pickups, so I've generally moved to that vs three pickups, but still, so cool!

Fred's old Club!

– JCHiggy

Now that is a three pup I can lust for!

Personally, I like having the middle pickup to get Strat-ish sounds without having to use a Strat, as I've never gotten comfortable with the vibrato arm position or the volume knob location. So I've modded a few of my guitars over the years to have a middle pickup. This one used to be Setzer's, and the tones are great.

In the past few years I started winding my own pickups and have managed to design something which gets enough of a hint of Strat quack out of two pickups, so I've generally moved to that vs three pickups, but still, so cool!

– Mel Waldorf

This’s too!

Other than Strats and Strat types like my Fame 760/12,the only 3 pickup geet i ever owned was my Rickenbacker 352V59 Mapleglo.

3 pickups, 4 pickups, who's counting at this point? Sorry, I don't own any triple pickup Gretsch guitars.

Saw this four pup Kent today. (behind the Clipper).

Register Sign in to join the conversation