Modern Gretsch Guitars

Gretsch wish list

I’m very early with this but I hope the winter namm will bring us new Gretsch guitars and limited edition colors. I’m looking for my first Gretsch and the 6120t-59 has all the right specs and it plays like a dream for me but I really don’t like the orange color (Nor the dark brown color from this year). I hope they will release a lake placid blue 6120 with nickel hardware like they did with the Falcon last year. (The candy apple red version a couple years ago was very nice too but I didnt have the money at that time) If they do I will run to the store immediately and give them all my money to pre order itPs. If I can make one more wish: give it a nitro finish

thanks santa!

Ruben from the Netherlands

I’m hoping for an R9 neck profile on an SSLVO-type guitar!

I want one of the New GDP Jets.

I'd like to see some color offerings in the Dynasonic Duo Jets (other than black or caddy green).

I heard there might be something coming next year regarding a Billy Duffy jr of some sort,a cross between a Falcon and a Jet ,kinda thing.

This was from Billy himself in a interview .

Me,I'm still waiting for the return of the Dyna Clubs!

Remember the red sparkle scripty Dyna Jet that was for sale last week? If they did a run of those in gold/orange sparkle, I would definitely bite. This color, but with Dynas, script logo and well chambered.

I’m the idiot that wishes for a hollow or semi hollow 6/12 doubleneck. I’m sure that would move twos of units so my breath remains unheld.

I'm wishing for accurate reissues of Waverly open-back tuners and Grover Imperials.

I'm wishing for accurate reissues of Waverly open-back tuners and Grover Imperials.

– Afire

And while we're at it: accurate bridge bases and Space Controls.

I want one of the New GDP Jets.

– Suprdave

Yeah, in the color that won!

I've always liked the look of those sparkly Gretsch guitars, but how durable is that drum wrap stuff on a guitar body and does it eventually peel off?

A Falcon Junior (16" trestle braced body) Hotrod would be nice...

Filter'Trons (TV Jones Classic and Classic Plus); Same wiring harness as the Setzer Hotrod; Engraved MOP humpblock inlays on an ebony board; vertical logo on the headstock; locking machine heads with Grover Imperial stair buttons on them, and available in metallic finishes like candy apple red, electric blue etc with gold or silver sparkle binding.

I've always liked the look of those sparkly Gretsch guitars, but how durable is that drum wrap stuff on a guitar body and does it eventually peel off?

– stratman

Extremely durable. The 65 year old black ones look almost like new. The sparkle ones occasionally shrink a little. As for modern ones, I don't know, but I'm guessing the materials aren't any less durable than what they used in the '50s.

This seems like the right place for this. What do you think this would cost??

It would have the Setzer hot rod body, with Trestle bracing, the neck specs from a Billy Duffy Falcon, the headstock from a current Falcon, the control layout from The Steve Wariner signature, a T Armond in the neck and a T90 in the bridge, the B6 V cut Bigsby. The Wariner tone pot would be a series parallel instead of a coil splitter. Not sure on the color and silver sparkle binding and headstock logo. That's my wish list.

My Gretsch list is very short this year : Dyna Duo Jet..... Oh and a Filter Duo Jet..... Oh and a 6120 - 59.....Oh and a Synchromatic..... And one of those Tone Twister doozimahicky gadgets!

This seems like the right place for this. What do you think this would cost??

It would have the Setzer hot rod body, with Trestle bracing, the neck specs from a Billy Duffy Falcon, the headstock from a current Falcon, the control layout from The Steve Wariner signature, a T Armond in the neck and a T90 in the bridge, the B6 V cut Bigsby. The Wariner tone pot would be a series parallel instead of a coil splitter. Not sure on the color and silver sparkle binding and headstock logo. That's my wish list.

– LarryR

LarryR, I broke out my trusty, and most trusted, 1974 Texas Instruments Calculator (the one with the tiny red LED's and the tiny magnifying glasses over each highly pixelated and nearly unreadable numbers). I researched the internet extensively, deep into the Dark Webs, and I did a line by line calcumalation of your guitar specs. I had to do it three times, for verification purposes and I was shocked that it would be so affordable at a Bazillion Dollars!

LarryR, I broke out my trusty, and most trusted, 1974 Texas Instruments Calculator (the one with the tiny red LED's and the tiny magnifying glasses over each highly pixelated and nearly unreadable numbers). I researched the internet extensively, deep into the Dark Webs, and I did a line by line calcumalation of your guitar specs. I had to do it three times, for verification purposes and I was shocked that it would be so affordable at a Bazillion Dollars!

– Wade H

Lol......ahh,pocket change. Good to know. If I start saving now I believe I can afford it 4 lifetimes from now. But by then a bazillion would probably get me the latest plywood offering of the day.

Me,I'm still waiting for the return of the Dyna Clubs!

– JCHiggy

they seem to pop up on reverb and ebay quite a bit...why not just buy a second hand one?

Oh that's what i intend to do sir!

I only buy used nowadays ,but it's always fun to see them new.

I've actually been watching one but the timing is all wrong at the mo, and i don't want to do something dopey,although that hasn't stopped me before!

Oh that's what i intend to do sir!

I only buy used nowadays ,but it's always fun to see them new.

I've actually been watching one but the timing is all wrong at the mo, and i don't want to do something dopey,although that hasn't stopped me before!

– JCHiggy

– stratman

Strictly the opinion of my brother and I, but the drum wrap topped jets don't seem to sound as nice as the lacquer painted tops. The sound is choked.

This theory is from experience of two drum wrap 1955 jets versus a painted 1956 one which is the best jet I've ever heard, so not a massive sampling. Plus there are people like Cliff Gallup that would have had a drum wrap topped jet and obviously it did him no harm. And we are talking vintage.

As Afire stated, peel off is very rare and durability (for vintage at least) is pretty good. Sometimes silver jets have yellowed, but generally the only time a wrap top has issues is when someone has intentionally messed with it.

Rather than asking for a particular guitar, I would prefer to ask for something that could be included in just about any electric guitar: a built-in tuner like you see on acoustic electric guitars, unless there is some reason that I am unaware of that would make this a bad idea.

I'd like to see a hollowbody with two single coils in the affordable range, but I'm not holding my breath.

Besides "humbuckers only" I have another pet peeve with the Electro's and the Streamliner single cut hollowbodies : the bridge pickups don't sit at the bridge - if they move any further towards the fingerboard, they're middle pickups. If the bridge pickup was positioned where they used to be (more towards the bridge), I'd probably have long gotten a Streamliner single cut and put two different pickups on it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation