Gretsch Garage Sale

Gretsch 6120 RHH - dead mint

How about year of manufacture

Sorry, forgot that part. 2011 I believe, but i bought new in April 2013. I can share serial # privately and have many more pictures as well, just couldn't figure out how to attach more than one here.

Cheers,

John

You can just share the first 2 digits of the serial after the JT,

JTXX

XX=Year Manufactured

There's no reason to be private about a serial #

We post them publically all the time and/or picture of same

Ditto on Reverb etc But first two letters and next 4 numbers are just origin and date

So ultimately disclosable Beautiful guitar

Cool. I know some folks on Fender and Gibson sites are super concerned about serial #s. But i'm guessing it's much less likely that something like a 6120 can get knocked off :). Nov of 2010, it looks like. JT1011 and so on...

There's no reason to be private about a serial #

We post them publically all the time and/or picture of same

Ditto on Reverb etc But first two letters and next 4 numbers are just origin and date

So ultimately disclosable Beautiful guitar

– WhittleZ

So the reason not to give complete serial numbers is that unscrupulous people would use that number when, falsely, reporting it stolen.

So the reason not to give complete serial numbers is that unscrupulous people would use that number when, falsely, reporting it stolen.

– Crowbone

I grok that

But just ime, and I have VERY extensive experience with Leads online, and thief and fraud practices - it's not much of a concern

And posting a picture of your serial # PUTS A TIME/date stamp ON YOUR OWNERSHIP OF IT

I recommend people also videotape their collection including serial #'s abd supply a copy to your insurance company

If I post my serial # - even better a picture

I am offering PROOF that I was in possession of it on that date/time

Any SUBSEQUENT theft report is going to be pretty easily vitiated by that proof

Sure, theft reports could reference backwards prior to that date, but that's a tough offer of proof

also, if you bought your guitar from a dealer, you (and they) have a record of when you obtained that serial # guitar

The same Is true (at least for me) when I buy a guitar on Reverb used, since Iinsist on a picture of the serial # etc so you again have a record of when you acquired that serial #

I've been involved in scores of cases involving music instrument theft and fraud

I just see this as a mostly baseless worry

But hey, nobody ever went broke covering their okole, so I understand the reticence

This is an instructive discussion. And I like the idea of creating proof of ownership of my gear. I live in perpetual fear of someone stealing it all while i'm down at the pub!

That said, one of you lads should take this 6120 off my hands so i no longer have to worry about anyone stealing it

This is an instructive discussion. And I like the idea of creating proof of ownership of my gear. I live in perpetual fear of someone stealing it all while i'm down at the pub!

That said, one of you lads should take this 6120 off my hands so i no longer have to worry about anyone stealing it

– JohnnyT

THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT

1) Make sure your guitar collection is insured and insured for REPLACEMENT cost, not used value. This almost always requires a seperate rider with your insurance company. It most likely, given any size/value beyond a minimum, will NOT BE COVERED by your homeowner's policy, at least nowhere near enough to make you "whole" realizing that certain vintage or special guitars can never be "replaced".

2) make a video in addition to photographs. The former is more compelling. Include serial #'s. Cops like an organized victim. You will likely get better service. If you, God forbid, need to make a police and insurance report, you can refresh your frazzled, imperfect memory. It's very hard for most victims to be accurate in recollection upon the emotional upheaval of being victimized. Burglary literally feels like "rape" to many. It will leave you feeling violated, vulnerable, confused, etc. The tape will help focus you.

3) it will help a no hassle payout from your insurance company because there will be no dispute what you had.

4) Serial #'s can be entered into LEADS online. This is a fantastic computer database, most pawn shops use. It means if your serial #'s are in the system, a cop or insurance agent, properly enters them, at any point in the future, if that serial # is entered at a pawn shop, it will trigger a HIT and the enterer will be notified.

5) you are thus WAY more likely to get your stuff back.

6) the venal scumbag thief (sorry, but I loathe thievery, will be much more likely to get caught. This will help OTHERS, because if he is incarcerated, he cant steal, at least not from anybody but his cellmates. You help the guitar community

7) also, if the cops are squared away and have enough evidence, they can get a search warrant for his house . Chances are they will recover more stolen property, including any of yours he didn't pawn (maybe he likes Gretsches! Even scumbags can like Gretsches although they usually prefer Gibson ). Also, a much higher likelihood others will get their stuff back. In addition to finding others' stolen property at his residence, using LEADS online, everything he has pawned can be cross referenced with theft reports and BOOM - more stolen items are recovered.

PLEASE, help yourself and help others in the community. record your serial #'s. Videotape your collection. Insure it.

That's great advice, above.

One more tip. Never delete your initial for-sale post from a thread, thereby leaving a bunch of orphaned replies that no longer make any sense whatsoever.

Register Sign in to join the conversation