Modern Gretsch Guitars

Gretsch replacement for ES-335

I had thought that Panthers were no longer part of the Gretsch lineup BUT I was wrong. They are still there (black or white versions). The trick (as with so many Gretsch models) is to find one in a store that you can try. Wildwood is not showing any nor is Rocky.....

Yeah, I never wanted a 335... I have a 335 that I'm unhappy with - I want a Gretsch with some of the features of a 335 - thinner body, better upper fret access. I think the floating bridge is part of what I dig about the feel of the 6120, so... Panther makes a lot of sense.

– BobL

I would also recommend checking out a 5422 like Thomas said earlier in this thread. They sound and play great.

You know, if you came to a Round-Up you would have all sorts of Gretschy goodness to try. You could attend the one at Camp Lodestar in Wilseyville, California from September 14-16. You would probably want to fly into one of the nearby airports in the Bay area or Sacramento.

– Don Birchett

Well... for starters I have gigs that weekend, but... I think flying somewhere to try guitars is taking this too far. :)

I would also recommend checking out a 5422 like Thomas said earlier in this thread. They sound and play great.

– BuddyHollywood

Yeah... I'm not really looking for non 6xxx guitars.

Yeah... I'm not really looking for non 6xxx guitars.

– BobL

There is no Pro-line equivalent to the 5422. It's in my top 5 best sounding Gretsch guitars for sure.

Well... for starters I have gigs that weekend, but... I think flying somewhere to try guitars is taking this too far. :)

– BobL

I'd agree with you if that was the only reason to go to Round-ups.

Well all I can say is no matter what anyone says a 6120 and 335 are two completely different guitars. I own a TV Jones T-Armond equipped 6120 and it's a great guitar for what it does and I love it. The reality is that is does not do what a Gibson ES-335 can do and I love the Gibson 335 for what it does too! I have both guitars because they both have they're place in music and it's all good. But one replacing the other that's pretty hard sell. If you love the 6120 or the 335 that's great but one replacing the other...I don't know they are different sounds and different uses.

UD (Uncle Don)

I have sadly never got on with 335 style guitars even though I have tried and owned a few, but a DC Gretsch is another matter, I owned a 74 Viking as my first Gretsch and it was very heavy, had a centre block, then a 68 6120DC but it was 'made in a hurry' and it was ok but the binding was disintegrating.

By chance I saw a 72 6120DC which was good, but I missed that and managed to pick up an ex-demo 6120DC from 2003 made by Terada under licence and bought that. It is my mostly live guitar with a swing band as it looks good, sounds good and doesn't feed back.

I have seen people mention the players edition 6120 but I don't like that B7 styleBigsby it puts too much pressure on the bridge, I prefer the 6120 DC with the B6C Bigsby.

Mine has TV's which were a standard fitment for the year, so for my 50 cents worth, I would go with this one. Reliable and sounds great.

Well all I can say is no matter what anyone says a 6120 and 335 are two completely different guitars. I own a TV Jones T-Armond equipped 6120 and it's a great guitar for what it does and I love it. The reality is that is does not do what a Gibson ES-335 can do and I love the Gibson 335 for what it does too! I have both guitars because they both have they're place in music and it's all good. But one replacing the other that's pretty hard sell. If you love the 6120 or the 335 that's great but one replacing the other...I don't know they are different sounds and different uses.

UD (Uncle Don)

– UD

Yeah, not what I'm doing at all - keeping the 6120, getting a more 335 like Gretsch that is more like the 6120 than my 335.

For a 335 clone, you’ll want humbuckers and a centerblock. There are a few to choose from.

BobL,

I misunderstood what you were going for?

UD (Uncle Don)

BobL,

I misunderstood what you were going for?

UD (Uncle Don)

– UD

No worries! I have a 335, and I have a 6120 - I'm unhappy with the sound of the 335 compared to the 6120 in the rock band, but unhappy with the fret access and body size of the 6120 for the rock band (while loving it for the country band!), so looking for a Gretsch that is more down the line towards a 335, while sounding more like a Gretsch than the 335 sounds. Trying to split difference with some more 335 feel (fret access and body depth) in a Gretsch.

I know you said you're not even thinking about a 5422 but it sounds like it really is exactly what you're looking for. It's fully hollow with a soundpost. I would just upgrade the pickups if you need to. Here is a video where a guy installed TV Jones T'Armonds in his.

I know you said you're not even thinking about a 5422 but it sounds like it really is exactly what you're looking for. It's fully hollow with a soundpost. I would just upgrade the pickups if you need to. Here is a video where a guy installed TV Jones T'Armonds in his.

– BuddyHollywood

Yeah, it sounds great. I've consistently been impressed with those pickups. I'd really need to try one... not seeing anything nearby.

Register Sign in to join the conversation