Modern Gretsch Guitars

Gretsch New Yorker G9555 Pickup Specs

Hello, I am inquiring about the Gretsch New Yorker G9555. It’s the one with the floating pickup that looks like a DeArmond rhythm chief. To my understanding it is made by Gretsch (so it’s not the guild rhythm chief reissue) but has a rubber magnet. Does anyone have any other specs or know anything about the way the pickup is constructed? The reason I ask is I played one of those G9555 and really liked the sound of the pickup. I build guitars myself (the one I build is kind of like a Gretsch jet with bolt on neck) so I wanted to build a guitar with a pair of pickups similar to that floating pickup in the G9555 new Yorker. I’m assuming that pickup in the G9555 is similar to a DeArmond or guild rhythm chief. Is there a pickup that is similar to the rhythm chief? I was assuming a DeArmond gold foil; it seems similar and made by the same company (DeArmond). As I read through the internet I understand there are 2 types of gold foils; USA DeArmond and Japanese Teisco and the 2 look similar but are in fact different. So I am assuming I would want the DeArmond one? I know Novak makes a DeArmond Gold Foil, does anyone else? Does anyone know of another pickup that is close to the G9555? Thanks

Fender owned Guild until fairly recently and handles the distribution of Gretsch. The pickup in the Gretsch New Yorker is exactly the same as in the Guild A-150 Savoy. I have the Guild A-150 Savoy and used to have the Gretsch G9555. The Guild is miles ahead in terms of quality, sound and construction. The pickups are exactly the same, by the same manufacturer and meter out the same (around 15K) resistance. You can buy the stand alone, reissue DeArmond Rhythm Chief pickup and mounting hardware from the Guild website:

https://shop.guildguitars.c...

https://shop.guildguitars.c...

https://guildguitars.com/g/...

The reissue is constructed the same as the original and comes very close to it in sound.

Check out our own Mel Waldorf's 1954 Gretsch 6031 Constellation with vintage DeArmond/Rowe Rhythm Chief 1000 at neck and modern DeArmond RC1000 at bridge:

That is one cool guitar. Are the rhythm chiefs really wound that heavy 15k, have you measured the resistance and do you know what gauge of wire? Do you know if the DeArmond Gold Foils are similar to the rhythm chief? That gretsch shown above is what I am looking to accomplish but would like a simplified mounting. Thats why I'm lookign into the DeArmond Gold Foils. Thanks for the info above.

As far as the resistance, I am just going by the Guild website. I will check the resistance on the Guild tonight when I get home from work.

Measured the pickup resistance on the Guild A150 Savoy at the jack and it reads 15.25 Kohm.

Thanks for verifying that. I found another thread and a guy with a lot of experience with rhythm chiefs and gold foils says they are similar. So that answers just about every question I had. Thanks again

Hello, I am inquiring about the Gretsch New Yorker G9555. It’s the one with the floating pickup that looks like a DeArmond rhythm chief. To my understanding it is made by Gretsch (so it’s not the guild rhythm chief reissue) but has a rubber magnet. Does anyone have any other specs or know anything about the way the pickup is constructed? The reason I ask is I played one of those G9555 and really liked the sound of the pickup. I build guitars myself (the one I build is kind of like a Gretsch jet with bolt on neck) so I wanted to build a guitar with a pair of pickups similar to that floating pickup in the G9555 new Yorker. I’m assuming that pickup in the G9555 is similar to a DeArmond or guild rhythm chief. Is there a pickup that is similar to the rhythm chief? I was assuming a DeArmond gold foil; it seems similar and made by the same company (DeArmond). As I read through the internet I understand there are 2 types of gold foils; USA DeArmond and Japanese Teisco and the 2 look similar but are in fact different. So I am assuming I would want the DeArmond one? I know Novak makes a DeArmond Gold Foil, does anyone else? Does anyone know of another pickup that is close to the G9555? Thanks

– Tennessean85

Are we talking new, new yorker, or old, new yorker? I have one of the new ones. Is there any way I can help?

Register Sign in to join the conversation