Modern Gretsch Guitars

Gretsch Masterpiece

Re: tone switch cap values.... Oldest values were .05 and 0.1 mfd.... Talk about MUD!

At some point during the Baldwin years, it went to .022 and .047 or .05 I believe, less mud overall, but still not really usable for anything more than Jazz IMO.

And modern FMIC era values are .0033 and .012 mfd. FMIC finally found real, usable values for modern guitars.

If I'm out of the ballpark here, I'm sure that Billy will let us all know.

Cool!

Are you not going to take that sticker off the L5 guard?

That's the first thing i would've took off as soon as i got it home!

You won't believe it, but after I took this picture, I removed the custom Gibson sticker; I inserted it in the red booklet, also because it was damaging !!!!

Spooky!

Lovely guitar that L5 is sir.

.. Not unrelated; A little help on finding my own would be greatly appreciated.

I mentioned being on the lookout for a pre-owned 6122-59, and I'd be grateful for any experienced insight from other owners.
I'm seeking a newer model (FMIC era) but as you can imagine; not a lot of used ones come on the market. So it's not like I can pick from any 'best years' (assuming there is one).

Are there any significant differences from a 2003 make to a 2018? Or have the builds on these been consistently top notch throughout that timeline, 'til today?

Thanks in advance!

I can't help you, I only tried mine from 2013. I can confidently say that my model is really a beautiful guitar, all the details are well-kept and it sounds very very good

I have a 2005 model where it was called the Nashville Classic. It changed names to Country Gentleman in 2007 around which time I think the waffle bracing might have been changed to trestle bracing. I remember some discussion about it and iirc most people couldn’t tell the difference. I don’t know what bracing is currently used. The pickups have always been the same.

– Paolo_Spadaro

Been meaning to ask what that rectangle is in the middle of the pickguard?

is the sticker of the gibson custom shop. I removed it and kept it in the red booklet a few days ago

It has been somewhat confusing to view online photos of this model because the hue does seem to shift. depending on the lighting and exposure.

Most of the listings for 'walnut' stained models really do appear more reddish than brown. I've been double-checking to be sure they're photos of the actual model for sale.

I've got a lead on a very clean 2009 model, with the walnut finish. Even after tweaking the pics he sent in photoshop it's hard to get a clear read on the flaming.

.. I am liking what I see for the price. My picking finger is gettin' itchy.

I've never seen a 6122-1959 that was truly walnut. They've all been the rich deep maroon. All have had some degree of flame, at least on the top, but it varies.

I've never seen a 6122-1959 that was truly walnut. They've all been the rich deep maroon. All have had some degree of flame, at least on the top, but it varies.

– Proteus

.. so not monkey-shit '62 walnut then.

that does seem to be an acquired taste.

Well, I politely call it poop-brown.

I don't know whether it's so much an acquired taste as simply an imprinted stimulus. See doublecut in brown, think Country Gent.

A doublecut thinline in dark brown from any other brand looks somehow wrong, and even a singlecut Gretsch in brown looks...at least unnecessary, if not unfortunate. (The 6122-1958 kinda gets a pass, but it's still an enormous patch of fecund loam.)

A doublecut 6122 in brown, though, affirms the ordure of the universe. (At least for guys of a certain age, with a certain set of experiences.)

The 6122-1959, though, is none of that. They should call it Deep Wine. Burgundy Wine. Something winey.

Not being a huge fan of gold hardware on a guitar, I'm especially sensitive to the body color and how it works (or not) with the gold.
When I see a green or red guitar with gold hardware it reminds me of a Christmas ornament. That's not exactly the image I want conjured when looking at an electric guitar.

Not long ago, someone was selling a G6122-59 on Reverb with all nickel hardware (except for the copper tru-arc bridge). I wish I had the money then. It was a unique beauty.

All that said, there is something very appropriate to the look of a Country Classic with all gold hardware. Aside from the aforementioned imprinted stimulus, there is an elegance and visual harmony in how the gold complements the dark walnut. Regardless of how one takes to the classic poop brown, clearly Gretsch knows what they're doing.

The finish color on the newer 6122-59 reminds me more of the wine color on my '72 SC than the true brown/walnut on my '65 Gent. Now that was brown, not the wine red of this reissue iteration. Not saying it isn't pretty but for me, given all the attention to original detailing of this particular model, I would have thought getting the color right would've been a priority.

When I bought my 6122-59 online, I was fully expecting it to be the dark walnut as advertised. It was a breathtaking and welcome surprise to find it was actually Burgundy Royale. Felt like I'd just gotten more guitar for my money, something deluxer than was fittin' for me. Like I'd shopped for a Coupe de Ville and gotten a Fleetwood (if that comparison means anything now).

I'm rarely enthusiastic about gold hardware, but it somehow seems to work on more Gretschs than other brands. It's pretty dandy on the -59, utterly integral to the gold 6120-GA, and stupidly over-the-top-gaudily entertaining even on the 5420-CAR in Candy Apple Red. I know it's not gonna wear well, but I enjoy it while it lasts.

The finish color on the newer 6122-59 reminds me more of the wine color on my '72 SC than the true brown/walnut on my '65 Gent. Now that was brown, not the wine red of this reissue iteration. Not saying it isn't pretty but for me, given all the attention to original detailing of this particular model, I would have thought getting the color right would've been a priority.

– Windsordave

The latest -59 VS's are now the good old Gent brown, lacquer, and have the smaller vintage frets.

Well then, here's the glory that was.

What a depressing development. I'm depressed. Thanks for the depressing news. Geez.

Me and my 6122-59, photo retouched with some filters

Well then, here's the glory that was.

What a depressing development. I'm depressed. Thanks for the depressing news. Geez.

– Proteus

Sorry about that Tim, but this will cheer you up.

The binding is now the "aged" type too.

Now there it looks clearly wine red, not brown at all. A lot of pics of Chet back in the day with his '59 Gent, had that guitar looking black, not brown/walnut at all. Obviously it was the lighting as that guitar was a dark brown but for years I thought it was black.

Register Sign in to join the conversation