Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Pricey but nice lefty Tennie

This popped up as a '59 but looks slightly later due to having HiLos - lefty vintage Gretsch looks authentic anyhow: Tennie in London UK

Not a '59, for all the obvious reasons. The seller asks for help on where to find the serial number…

I think I may have played that guitar briefly! A Tenny was at Southpaw back in '99, one of the last times I drove over there. It could have been this one. It was nice.

I sure wish it weren't so expensive.

Paul/FF909

The husk is a '62, and looks nice. The bridge is a '66 or later, but I'm usually willing to believe that it may have sat around for a while with something like a lefty. But that's a long time in the midst of the '60s guitar boom. Maybe just a replaced bridge. If in the US, more like a $2000-$2500 guitar. Being in the UK, apparently it should be more expensive. Being a lefty...I'm not sure. More expensive (limited supply)? Less expensive (limited demand)?

I wouldn't say limited demand, I know a couple of lefties who have failed to find vintage lefty Gretsch guitars for years.

The husk is a '62, and looks nice. The bridge is a '66 or later, but I'm usually willing to believe that it may have sat around for a while with something like a lefty. But that's a long time in the midst of the '60s guitar boom. Maybe just a replaced bridge. If in the US, more like a $2000-$2500 guitar. Being in the UK, apparently it should be more expensive. Being a lefty...I'm not sure. More expensive (limited supply)? Less expensive (limited demand)?

– Afire

I don't understand why you'd refer to this guitar as a 'husk' Afire, unless you're trying to imply that it has been cobbled together from a bare body and various parts from other guitars. Do you know something of this guitar's history indicating this is what happened?

Hey, Afire,

kc_eddie_b and I have monitored the prices of vintage left-handed Gretsches, and we're seeing a pretty consistent 60% premium for left-handed examples of comparable righties. This one's somewhat above that line. Including this one, three left-handed Tennesseans have appeared on the market in the past few months. The other two: one in the UK went for about this price on eBay, and one has been hanging out on reverb.com for a while, very optimistically priced at $5,295.

Much as I'd like a Tenny, I would have to advance to a higher income bracket to consider this affordable.

Doppler, I may be contributing to your friends' difficulties.

It's not helpful that some sellers on eBay think any piece of crap is gold. Check out the idiotic price on this hacked, worn-down Annie. I bought a lefty Annie husk (body, neck) in much better "project" condition for $400 a couple of years ago.

And there's this Constellation (!) up in Canada. No idea if the price is realistic, but I do have this theory that the seller could improve his prospects were he to communicate with would-be bidders who ask questions and request more usefully-framed photos.

Paul/FF909

I say husk just referring to the neck and body, which is clearly '62. Being a lefty, I'm not sure that it's as easy to date the rest of it. I don't know whether they made them to order one at a time, or perhaps made a few "husks" at a time and waited for an order before final assembly. The bridge made me consider the latter possibility. Though I don't really know. Not implying shenanigans other than a possibly replaced bridge.

And demand for lefties is certainly limited, but I'll take FF's and Ed's word about prices they've tracked, so apparently supply is even more limited.

The plain pickguard would certainly not have been stock on a righty. Is it possible it has been replaced (as well as the bridge), or is that a variation seen on vintage lefties?

Plain pickguards are pretty standard on Gretsch lefty models. So are mixed-features. I think Afire is correct that they made "a couple" husks, and then waited for an order, and by that time model years may have progressed making the available parts later then the husks themselves. Not in every case, but in many. Check out the lefty 6120 on page 120 of the 6120 book.

Register Sign in to join the conversation