Modern Gretsch Guitars

Gretsch Dynasonics or T-Armonds for authentic 50s sound?

Well people seem to bash on the modern Gretsch Dynasonics. I had some briefly but couldn't mount them in the guitar I was thinking of them for because I chickened out on cutting holes in it. Otherwise I thought they sounded great. Clearer and cleaner than the old ones.

Compared them to 50s dynasonics I have (around 9k +) they were definitely brighter and more precise sounding. I thought it was cool thing. I haven't tried T-Armonds but the difference described sounds very familiar.

I played my 53 Electro 2 for 3 sets last night for New Years and while it sounds great for most solos it's still a little thick sounding on chords. While I wouldn't want to yank the pickups out of it as it's a grand old lady that's had a rough go of it. I would probably find the modern Gretsch dynasonics more versatile.

Fundamentally they are fine pickup and contain the same basic elements as the originals. They just sound crisper and cleaner.

One thing I find annoying is that I can't find specs for them anywhere, even on the Gretsch site, they have made-up numbers for power and clarity and everywhere else they just have stupid blurbs about fidelity blah blah.

Trust to your own ears and don't get too caught up in other peoples prejudices. I'm sure all the options are good in there way, It is a matter of taste and opinion.

I'm apt to agree taxophilite. I often think that it's not about good Vs bad quality, the pickup debated here just have different voices. Easy to be influenced by comments from players who maybe have tastes and playing styles that are their own and not yours.

I'm apt to agree taxophilite. I often think that it's not about good Vs bad quality, the pickup debated here just have different voices. Easy to be influenced by comments from players who maybe have tastes and playing styles that are their own and not yours.

I love the sound of the Gretsch Dynasonics in my 2011 Duo Jet. All of the tweaking I've done has been to better balance the pickups with each other and to help balance the guitar as a whole. The inherent sound of the pickups has always been good.

As far as which Dynasonic will help you achieve an authentic 1950s tone I think they all will. They are all modeled after the original DeArmonds so they are all more alike than different.

the bashing on gretsch present day dynasonics comes from the sum of all parts not being on par.Do it right and I wont complain.There is nothing to complain about w tvjones T-armonds, the only variable is getting them set up correctly on your instrument and even then you have options for response like no other pickup. #fightme #tvjonestones :)

You know I want to like them but I struggle and have tried everything I can think of. I'm tired of listing my complaints about T Armonds but at the same time, I'm not giving up. Sometimes they work for me

And I do think judgement about stock Dynas, Seymour Duncan Dynas and TV Jones t Armonds is indeed subjective. What one guy describes as 'warm, fat and punchy in the mid range' is 'flat, thick and muddy' to other ears and tastes.

True Vince, but the modern Gretsch Dynas are just kind of cheaply made, the plating flakes off the covers and the bobbins fall out, etc... Not what you expect in guitars in that price range.

Hm, the bobbin on my T armond popped out when I screwed it into the English mount. Poor instructions and designed in such a way as to show no point at which the screws should be at the correct tightness. Piddling around with bits of rubber to achieve some kind of random position seems amateurish. Not impressed

True Vince, but the modern Gretsch Dynas are just kind of cheaply made, the plating flakes off the covers and the bobbins fall out, etc... Not what you expect in guitars in that price range.

– WB

this, is on point!!

I don't really like how the T-Armonds bridge pickup is wound hotter. This generally makes a pickup sound thicker and more mid focused which I personally do not want to achieve in a bridge pickup. I found the same thing with the TV Jones filtertrons that came with my 64 club. It had the classic plus in the bridge position which as it was wound a lot hotter just seemed to sound more like a normal humbucker and less like a filtertron. I get what the rationale and the intent was but it's not something I would go for. Otherwise they seemed to be very well made pickups and they seem to have a lot of champions here.

As to TVJs bridge pickups being wound hotter, I LOVE it. I like BALANCE between the 2 pickups, without having to resort to drastic measures such as raising the bridge up high and dropping the neck down low. When I put the T90s in my Cab, I couldn't believe how PERFECTLY balanced they are... very very few pickup set I have purchased over 30-odd years has been that well balanced.

A T-Armond bridge pickup isn't really wound hotter than a vintage one. The neck pickup is wound a little less hot, making the pair balance.

On the website it says 11.8k. Bridge I have 3 50s vintage DeArmonds which all seem to be in the neighbourhood of 9k.

As you say their neck pickups are around 7.8k which I would probably like.

I haven't actually compared them I was just going by the specifications. I might even like them.

the bashing on gretsch present day dynasonics comes from the sum of all parts not being on par.Do it right and I wont complain.There is nothing to complain about w tvjones T-armonds, the only variable is getting them set up correctly on your instrument and even then you have options for response like no other pickup. #fightme #tvjonestones :)

– TheNocturneBrain

This apply's to the Gretsch-buckers as well, JMO.

Aren't the covers on recent Gretsch Dyna's a cast pot metal, too, versus a stamped metal cover? Might not make any difference sonically, but then again ... ?

A T-Armond bridge pickup isn't really wound hotter than a vintage one. The neck pickup is wound a little less hot, making the pair balance.

– WB

Either/or, works for me.

On the website it says 11.8k. Bridge I have 3 50s vintage DeArmonds which all seem to be in the neighbourhood of 9k.

As you say their neck pickups are around 7.8k which I would probably like.

I haven't actually compared them I was just going by the specifications. I might even like them.

– Toxophilite

The early 60's ones on my Starfire are both around 12K

Register Sign in to join the conversation