Modern Gretsch Guitars

Gretsch Custom Shop

I don't know the Wildwood people, but I do know it isn't a slam against them to contact Joe or Stephen yourself to address a problem. One or both of them would be dealing with your issue eventually anyway, and they aren't going to let a fret installation detail befoul your experience with a Custom Shop guitar. Neither of them are wired that way. And they are great gentlemen to deal with.

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Thanks Paul. Do you know the best way to contact either of them? I’m going to try to work it out through Wildwood first, but if that fails, then I’d like to contact Joe or Stephan.

Windsordave, couldn’t agree with you more. I had never heard of this technique and now having experienced first hand, I can’t imagine why anyone would build a new guitar with these frets. They should be left in the past. There are no benefits and nothing but issues from a playability and maintenance standpoint.

– Craig B

The last time this discussion arose, a few guys pointed out that today where installing the frets first is done, they do cut off the fret including the tang at the edge of the fingerboard and the binding installed up against it. This installation technique won't put any stress on the binding which is good, but by not having the fret top extend across the binding, the playable area is reduced by now having the strings run further inboard, putting them all closer together. To me, that's a poor concept. Some bindings, the ones with multiple layers can have a decent thickness (width) so this installation technique is compromising the total fingerboard width.

My luthier has two prices for refretting: guitars with binding - cutting off the tang and fret overhangs binding and guitars without binding which is the cheaper price.

Here's a pic of the refret of my Super Chet. You can see how much further to the outer edge of the binding the fret extends

Register Sign in to join the conversation