Modern Gretsch Guitars

Gretsch Bigsby vs Bigsby Bigsby

This has probably been discussed here before, but I haven’t found it. Anyway, is there some sort of reason why Gretsch put the V cut Bigsby with Gretsch logo on some guitars, and the regular Bigsby on others? And sometimes the same model of guitar will have either, depending on when it was built! Was/is it just an arbitrary design decision? They are the same size and function exactly the same, right?

Gretsch seems to use the B6 or B3 V Cut models on modern models without center blocks. They use the Bigsby models on historical models when they did not originally come with V Cuts. There is no V Cut for the Pro center block models.

Gretsch seems to use the B6 or B3 V Cut models on modern models without center blocks. They use the Bigsby models on historical models when they did not originally come with V Cuts. There is no V Cut for the Pro center block models.

– Don Birchett

My '68 Chet Atkins Tennessean has a v-cut Bigsby, first year of the Baldwin era. I got it in '74; just curious when Gretsch started the v-cut?

V-cut Bigsbies came with a batch of Country Gentlemanses in the middle of 1959. George Harrison's '57 Duo Jet had a V-cut B3 when he got it in '61, but it's not original to the Jet.

So originally... Gretsch moved to the V-style Bigsby on the B6 and B3 in late 1959 for the 1960 model year guitars (as lx mentions above). It was simply a freshening of the aesthetic for a new decade in a market that was still trying to deliver "new and improved" value to their product every year.

In the modern era (since 1989)... Gretsch/FMIC has been challenged to great a large number of guitar models (and even more sub-models) to the market. They have to have ways of differentiating those models from each other, and applying different Bigsby styles is one way to do that, along with pickups, fretboard inlays, finish options, and dimensional specs.

So on the vintage stuff, there was a point in time when the standard B6 and B3 changed to the V-style. But today... you might get either depending on the model and the model year.

My old 64 Tenny had the V cut, as did my 60’s Nashville and Country Gent... as does my 2012 G6120. The new Lake Placid Blue Falcon I’m looking at has it too, but the Silver Falcon doesn’t. But the Black Falcon has either? And White Falcon has either? But the Country Club has the V cut. And the 6120 throughout its models and years had either. Just curious.

I put a V cut on my 5420. I use my Bigsby in most songs I play and I like how they look and how much travel they have. Throw in a Reverend spring and it’s like butter

Everybody keeps talking about that Reverend Soft Spring... I bought one, but haven't tried it yet (because I haven't changed my strings yet).... it's really THAT much nicer?

I have an Epiphone semi-hollow with an Epiphone Bigsby on it, "Epiphone" name on the Bigsby.

...------

Everybody keeps talking about that Reverend Soft Spring... I bought one, but haven't tried it yet (because I haven't changed my strings yet).... it's really THAT much nicer?

– ruger9

Yep.

Don't need to wait till you change strings...just yank up on the handle and switch 'em. De-tune a bit if need be.

I've been able to find one old spring that had a similar feel when my repair guy let me root through his drawer of old Bigsby springs...but that was before the soft spring came out. The Reverend is a little easier to come by.

– ruger9

For me and my playing style yes absolutely. There is nothing wrong with the original spring, it does the job. The Rev spring does it better, for my purposes

– ruger9

I bought one and liked the feel of the original better. Since then I replaced the Bigsby with a G tailpiece anyway so what do I know?

I bought one and liked the feel of the original better. Since then I replaced the Bigsby with a G tailpiece anyway so what do I know?

– BuddyHollywood

You WHAT??!!! That’s unspeakable, that’s unAmerican... that’s abominable!!! Oh, the humanity...,

Register Sign in to join the conversation