Gretsch Garage Sale

FS 6129T/ Off the market.

She has flat wounds on now but I'll include a set of regular strings.

My PM doesn't always work. Email me at

jeberg at ptd dot net.

When did you get this one, Grumpy?

I got it from NJBob at one of the roundups a few years ago. I can't remember if it was the auction house or the Jersey roundup. It's a great guitar. I need a big hollow body so I'm selling this to make room. I have a tiny house and too many guitars. If it doesn't sell I don't mind. I'll make room.

Ahh, ok.

I didn't recall seeing it in your stable.

It was the Auction House, maybe Crowbone's last one.

I got it new (NOS) from Rocky a couple years before and sold to Grumps when I got a Dyna sparkle jet (which is sold, too).

Grumps jet is great and I'd buy it back except I already have a Filtertron double jet.

Do you have a link to the Curt project with this guitar or was that lost?

Just curious Uncle Grump, what "big hollowbody" are you looking at? Vintage or new/nearly new?

Do you have a link to the Curt project with this guitar or was that lost?

– Don Birchett

The repair was a minor one and I don't think that there was much discussion. The wrap started to lift just on the edge and I got it fixed before it became a problem. I may have some pictures of it. I'll get a chance to look later today.

Just curious Uncle Grump, what "big hollowbody" are you looking at? Vintage or new/nearly new?

– Windsordave

Good question. First it has to fit my budget which is undetermined at this point. But I'm not set on used, new or vintage. It just has to feel right and sound right. I have a 5120 and a New Yorker. I love them both but I need something more, something different. As my playing improves I'm noticing the subtle differences in my guitars more than I used to.

The repair was a minor one and I don't think that there was much discussion. The wrap started to lift just on the edge and I got it fixed before it became a problem. I may have some pictures of it. I'll get a chance to look later today.

– UncleGrumpy

Aaah. I thought it was a major one that was covered here like a major refinishing or a headstock crack or something serious. My mistake.

Good question. First it has to fit my budget which is undetermined at this point. But I'm not set on used, new or vintage. It just has to feel right and sound right. I have a 5120 and a New Yorker. I love them both but I need something more, something different. As my playing improves I'm noticing the subtle differences in my guitars more than I used to.

– UncleGrumpy

Are you thinking Gretsch or something else?

– UncleGrumpy

Consider the 3110. It's big and hollow and the DA2000s are magic. They show up on eBay often.

Mine is modded for personal taste (master volume, B6, Setzer-made pick guard) but the basic creature is superb. It's in the database.

I've put a ToneRight on it for a few weeks and it really opened up acoustically.

Your welcome to try mine if we can figure out a place and time.

Lack of immediate interest gave me time to fall in love all over again. I'll find some other way to fund my next Gretsch. You can never have too many.

Register Sign in to join the conversation