Modern Gretsch Guitars

Gretsch 12 strings

I’ve picked up enough gear in the past year that I’m too embarrassed to admit that I own because I don’t yet play well enough to be worthy of it.

Yeah, well. You should see all my VINTAGE SLINGERLAND KITS, bucko.

WOOHOO!!!! Now you're talkin'!

The shells of the gold-on-black kit that's being made for me as we speak are being made on the machinery that made your Slingy kits. (That aforementioned machinery once belonged to our beloved Mr. Fred, incidentally. Kinda all ties together, don't it?)

Amen, Bob! I hope your world is beautiful, bud.

– tubwompus

It is, Sammy, full of music and I’m putting that shuffle you showed me to good use. In fact, the very next year in Nashville, I played that bag of triplets while jamming with Ed King in the barn and he complimented me greatly for it...so, thanks for that.

(I don't really have any drum kits. But I spose the shells once did come from Jasper.)

I finally got a Twelve string this year. It has absolutely re-energised all aspects of creativity and been such a positive force. We are all familiar (perhaps over-familiar) with the sound of a twelve, but in the real world it's becoming a more obscure, esoteric thing- when played in public it's greeted with notable enthusiasm, just in and of itself.

I chose the only left hand model I could find at a manageable price- the Revelation 12. Jazzmaster based, it has nice alnico pole pickups, the rhythm circuit replaced by a five position tone choke which filters the sound progressively thinner with every click. The 1-3/4 inch nut with zero fret is a notable appointment.

If interested, hear it on these two Halloween Special horror songs-

https://soundcloud.com/thre...

Gretsch-wise, there really ought to be a Hilotron/SuperHilotron model. All those strings really benefit from a lighter pickup to keep the dreaded 'thud' under manners.

It is, Sammy, full of music and I’m putting that shuffle you showed me to good use. In fact, the very next year in Nashville, I played that bag of triplets while jamming with Ed King in the barn and he complimented me greatly for it...so, thanks for that.

– Bob Howard

Dude, that is absolutely fantastic!

(I don't really have any drum kits. But I spose the shells once did come from Jasper.)

– Proteus

Up until around 1969, thems was made in-house in Chi-town, brutha.

(Ok, no more thread drift outta me.)

I finally got a Twelve string this year. It has absolutely re-energised all aspects of creativity and been such a positive force. We are all familiar (perhaps over-familiar) with the sound of a twelve, but in the real world it's becoming a more obscure, esoteric thing- when played in public it's greeted with notable enthusiasm, just in and of itself.

I chose the only left hand model I could find at a manageable price- the Revelation 12. Jazzmaster based, it has nice alnico pole pickups, the rhythm circuit replaced by a five position tone choke which filters the sound progressively thinner with every click. The 1-3/4 inch nut with zero fret is a notable appointment.

If interested, hear it on these two Halloween Special horror songs-

Gretsch-wise, there really ought to be a Hilotron/SuperHilotron model. All those strings really benefit from a lighter pickup to keep the dreaded 'thud' under manners.

– ade

Sounds great! Gives the songs a nice jangle. Good music, too. I might look into these guitars.

BOB.

No. More. Guitars.

You know, Taylor makes a nice versatile T5z 12string... all nice mahogany (or shiny Koa top)... can be had in translucent blue.... neck just a smidge wider than my Ric.... huh?

What was that you said, honey..? Dreaming? Yes that's it dear- I'm just dreaming... Worst nightmare? What worst... oh.... that.

Guess I may as well move over to Bob's side of the page, now.

Sighhh.

I'm a massive Revelation fan, have a white Teardrop VTX64 and purple Jazzmaster RVJT, and desperately looking for a RVT red strat. They do benefit from a fret file and level but after a few minutes with a luthier they are great VFM, I prefer them to Epiphones and Squiers. Check out their Vox Phantom copy 12 string, I have 2 electric 12s already (Danelectro DC59 and Gretsch 6122) and can't justify another one.

Tim, you'll love the 5422-12. Five years later (holy sh#t time flies), I am still satisfied with mine. I only use it for 2 songs per gig, bit it's huge for them. I'll be looking to add more 12 string tunes to the setlist.

Strummerson, whatever became of your 12 string project?

Register Sign in to join the conversation