Modern Gretsch Guitars

Gretsch 12 strings

I can't stress enough, how pleased I am with mine. I left the nut alone, although I've been toying with the Ric string order. I liked ke it how it is. I pretty much bring this guitar to gigs for two songs - Hard Day's Night and Free Falling. Worth the extra trip to the truck. I think the only minor criticism I have, is that the guitar is headstock heavy, so the left hand not only frets, but lifts a little bit.

I am so ready for that 5422 12 Blonde/Natural. Held off buying one hoping for one of these.

Karl

I have the 5422-12 and it is a great guitar.

When I bought it from Shanghai, I had them reverse the courses, Rickenbacker style. that only required that they cut a new bone nut. I have been tempted to undo that.

I also played the Italia at NorCal Roundup and was very impressed by it.

If Guild came out with a Newark Street Starfire 12 I would sorely be tempted.

– Don Birchett

Here's my 1966 Starfire XII. I wish the previous owner hadn't removed the pickguard.

Caliban, contact Paul Setzer and he will take care of you!

Only two things wrong with that Guild:

1) The tailpiece. I hate changing strings and when you have to hook them under the lip, its a bear!

2) It's not mine.

Any word on WHEN these 5422-12 in Natural/Blonde will be available? I am so ready for one.

Karl

If you are talking about the guitar which debuted at the NAMM Show last month, the guitar is a G6122-12, not a G5422-12.

I'm talking about the one pictured above -which is a 5422-12!

Karl

I have an Epi G1275 double-neck. Very heavy, but loads of fun to show off. It's still under $1000 stateside - not bad for 2 guitars in 1.

I bought an Italia Rimini and it is a great 12 string. I bought a cherry burst with case for around $600. Plays great. Several of my Gretsch friends have owned them and they are the ones who sold me on it. I like the Gretsch 12 strings very much too.

I do note that you are not inclined to spend the money on the G6122-12. But, I have to tell you that I was so impressed with the new blonde model of this guitar when I played it acoustically at the NAMM Show. I didn't have the opportunity to plug it in, but I believe that it has the HS Filter'tron pickups, so it should sound really good. The headstock on these electric 12-strings sure seems oversized compared to my Rickenbacker though!

– Ric12string

Hi there. I played that G6122-12 at NAMM as well. Like you, I didn't hear it amplified, but I'm very intrigued by it. It played like butter, and is certainly beautiful. Reminds me of Neasmith's 12, though there are several differences, obviously. It's on my wish list!

I bought an Italia Rimini and it is a great 12 string. I bought a cherry burst with case for around $600. Plays great. Several of my Gretsch friends have owned them and they are the ones who sold me on it. I like the Gretsch 12 strings very much too.

– Bigsbyslur

I played your Italia and it did indeed play very well. Did not plug it in but it played very well.

Any word when the 5422-12 Blonde will be available!

Karl

Back from the dead, this one.

I have a blond Ric 360-12 from the 90s (when for whatever misbegotten reason, they were equipped with black hardware), and a gorgeous Italia Rimini with mother-o-pearl top/dark redburst back, about 10 years old.

Build quality is equivalent (except the Italia has never spontaneously broken its tailpiece while living in its case); the Rimini's neck feels just as good but somehow more stable. It's easier for a normal-sized human to play, of course, since it has a wider neck than those nutty nutty Rickenbackers. (Very few players seem to like the narrow straits most Rics force us into, but I guess Rickenbacker couldn't keep up with any more demand so could care less what the market appears to want.) And the Rimini plays like the proverbial butter (though it's not as greasy).

Tone? The Rimini (mine has mini-hums) is richer sounding, smoother. Gets bright enough if needed, and never so warm at the other end as to be muddy. The Ric, with its backwards string courses, sounds more like a Ric. (Part of that is the texture of all the muted and misfired side-notes even weeee-little fingers produce trying to negotiate the impossible string spacing.)

The Rimini is all the electric 12-string I could ever want, a well-nigh perfect guitar. I'd sell the Ric - but I keep them in different tunings (and it's such an arsepain to tune 12s!), and besides...well, it's a Ric. If I prefer another 12-string (and usually I do), I still have to own it so I can say "yeah, I got the Ric. This is better." If I don't have the Ric, obviously another preference smells as sour as grapes.

But. I'd like a Gretsch 12, which is the reason for this resurrection post. They do sound richly and Gretschly unique even in the lousy online video demos I find - and an Eastwood knockoff is not acceptable.

Also, while I have other guitars, I play Gretsch. It wouldn't seem fittin' to be seen in public with anything but a big G, even for just those few songs on which only 12 strings are enough.

Naturally I'd like the natural 6122-12, as in I remember the Monkees and even without that cue, who wouldn't? - but it's 2,699.00 everywhere and while that's only $224.91666666666667 per string, some of those strings are pretty thin and should be cheaper. Just can't justify it. I'm thinking more like 50.00-75.00 per string.

So it's the Electromatical 5422-12 for me. NOT sunburst, that's right out of the running, I'm sorry.

And I'm willing to save money over (shouldn't it be under?) buying new - so anyone got one for sale (or trade? need an Aspen Green 5420?), let me know...

Two years ago, HoboKing on this forum who worked for Musician’s Friend posted saying (and showing a pic of) a natural Electromatic 5422-12 would be a special run. Never heard any more about it and I searched. I mentioned this on post 6 of this thread.

Funny to me that this thread should show up now. I say that because I just finished about a three-week bender playing nothing but my two 12’s, namely the 5422-12 and the Dano Hodad (3 pup)-12.

Up to then, I had been putting lotsa time on my Rick 660-6 of late and lemme tell ya, fretting techniques (or lack thereof, in my case) are NOT interchangeable betwixt the three. The first night with the Gretsch felt almost masochistic but through no fault of the guitar. I’d like to see how low I can get the action because wo, the uneven-ness of string pressure from one finger to the next on some cowboy chords was glaringly obvious.

My particular shortcomings aside, the gold-on-black Gretsch is a majestic instrument to behold and hear. I played them through both my Supro Saturn Reverb and my Roland JC-120.

Best term I can concoct to describe the sound of the Gretsch through the Supro is “home-y”. All the good stuff that makes a Gretsch sound like a Gretsch with the bonus addition of the other six strings. The Supro always lends a lot of warmth to whatever you play through it and I can’t wait to see how that combo sits in a recorded mix.

Predictably, a lot more of the traditional chimneyness was to be had from the JC-120 but without the very, very top-end “spikeyness” that I’ve heard with 12’s in some mixes. (Of course, with EQ’s and compression used in the studio, who knows what they sounded like in the room?)

Because of my age, the acid test is gonna be through my Voxes when they come back from the amp guy. SO looking forward to that.

But I do love everything about it, my playing ability notwithstanding. In capable hands, that gitfiddle is, I’m sure, quite a thing to witness. Heck, it’s even a blast to suck with one like I do.

I forgot you had one, Sam. Did I know you have one?

Now I want one worser.

Bob, I saw that one here in the thread, yessir, and that would be an attractive option - but the internet doesn't seem to know anything about it. All links just come back to this thread.

It'd be nice in white. Or Fairlane Blue. Candydapple red? Cad green. Lotus Ivory! But the cherces seem to be black and poopbrown. So OK.

I’ve even emailed HoboKing but got no response. Short of getting Joe Carducci on the case, I may have to settle. Poop brown could be considered Contry Gent brown, I s’pose. Maybe if enough of us step up, Rocky can order a special run. (However, he’s still trying to unload the left handed Balto G5422TG SSFSR red sparkle specials on eBay, so...)

he’s still trying to unload the left handed Balto G5422TG SSFSR red sparkle specials

Well, yeah, but we're not lefties! I guess I'd step up on a special run. Are you in?

My Gent started out dark brown, like so many. Then when the store I got it from didn't sell it right away, it sat near a window for about a year....

The result ain't bad, plus it's naturally flamey...

There are worse things.

I forgot you had one, Sam. Did I know you have one?

Now I want one worser.

– Proteus

You probably didn’t know, Tim. I’ve picked up enough gear in the past year that I’m too embarrassed to admit that I own because I don’t yet play well enough to be worthy of it.

I do need to update on the database because the gold-on-black complement of stage stuff is complete at 6, with four of them being from Gretsch.

he’s still trying to unload the left handed Balto G5422TG SSFSR red sparkle specials

Well, yeah, but we're not lefties! I guess I'd step up on a special run. Are you in?

– Proteus

I’m in. I’ve been GASsing for this for two years.

You probably didn’t know, Tim. I’ve picked up enough gear in the past year that I’m too embarrassed to admit that I own because I don’t yet play well enough to be worthy of it.

I do need to update on the database because the gold-on-black complement of stage stuff is complete at 6, with four of them being from Gretsch.

– tubwompus

Sammy, I’m happy for you. And as for your gear guilt goes, you don’t buy the gear you deserve. You get the gear that inspires you to play better.

Amen, Bob! I hope your world is beautiful, bud.

Register Sign in to join the conversation