Modern Gretsch Guitars

Gretsch 12 strings

Hi. I'm contemplating a 12 string electric and it's hard to know where to start. I played a 6122-12 about 10 yrs ago, but I don't want to pay that much. Does anyone have any experience of the Electromatic 12 string (5422-12) or have any other suggestions worth looking at (Burns,Dano, Schecter even?) Thanks

There was a 5422-12 at the NorCal RoundUp in 2012, and I was very impressed with it. It played and sounded wonderful. Peter Asher's music director, Jeff Alan Ross, played it for a set of Beatles, Byrds, and British Invasion tunes we did, and it was every bit that ringing, chimey, jangly sound you want to hear on those things. If you find a good deal on one, I wouldn't hesitate.

Another one worth investigating is the Italia Rimini. They make them with either P-90's or mini-humbuckers in several colors and they sell for around $750 new.

I like the Gretsch 5422-12 better than the Itallia, but only by a little. The Itallia is very nice. I've heard tell of a special run of 5422 12s for Musicians Friend in 2015 that is in blonde. Link

I do note that you are not inclined to spend the money on the G6122-12. But, I have to tell you that I was so impressed with the new blonde model of this guitar when I played it acoustically at the NAMM Show. I didn't have the opportunity to plug it in, but I believe that it has the HS Filter'tron pickups, so it should sound really good. The headstock on these electric 12-strings sure seems oversized compared to my Rickenbacker though!

I won a 5422-12 at the 2012 Nashville Roundup. I had always lusted for a Ric 12 string, but the 5422 has more than satisfied me. One thing I like much better than the Ric is the width of the fretboard - very thin on the Ric. The 5422 was easy to set up and had no nut issues right out of the box. There were a couple of loose screws on the Blacktop filter surrounds, bit that's the extent of it. I get great sounds out of it and now bring it to just about every gig. I seem to not miss the string order on the Ric, but if I do, I'll cut a new nut.

Anyone heard any more about these special run of these for Musician's Friend? (not that I'm in any position to buy one)

I do note that you are not inclined to spend the money on the G6122-12. But, I have to tell you that I was so impressed with the new blonde model of this guitar when I played it acoustically at the NAMM Show. I didn't have the opportunity to plug it in, but I believe that it has the HS Filter'tron pickups, so it should sound really good. The headstock on these electric 12-strings sure seems oversized compared to my Rickenbacker though!

– Ric12string

Is this different from the one Mike (Crippled Lion) had brought to the last Balto Roundup?

Is this different from the one Mike (Crippled Lion) had brought to the last Balto Roundup?

– Bob Howard

Visually, they seem to be the same guitar. But, I think that Mike's was a pre-FMIC model, if I am not mistaken. This new 12-string model is one that Gretsch has developed over the last couple of years. The pickups in Mike's may be pre-FMIC ceramics whereas the new ones have HS Filter'trons in them.

But, they do seem to be the same or close in appearance.

I have a 5422-12. I love it. It plays great, it sounds great. It's a player's guitar. I got an excellent deal. If there's a weakness it might be volume and tone pots, they don't feel quite as heavy duty as the USA CTS pots I'm used to, but they get the job done. And my finger picking... but I guess I can't hold that against Gretsch. I can't see any reason not to play an Electromatic. I've got the burst color and it's even prettier in person than in pictures.

Since you asked about alternatives, I like my shorthorn Dano 12 string a lot. Great fretboard, 12 saddle bridge, simple controls and very affordable.

My Blonde 6122-12 is 1 of the 22 FSR commissioned by Music123 in 2006. I think that puts her post-FMIC with the Filtertrons.

Jon Attwood: I have a sunburst Electromatic 12-string for sale. I'd like to keep her in the GDP family if possible. PM me for details if you're interested.

Since you asked about alternatives, I like my shorthorn Dano 12 string a lot. Great fretboard, 12 saddle bridge, simple controls and very affordable.

– Caliban335

I just had my hands on one of those about three days ago at my local Mom & Pop... but the neck felt wildly flexible. Are there different variants, or is that it and I got a badly set-up one?

The one I played had a $795 price tag on it.

I just had my hands on one of those about three days ago at my local Mom & Pop... but the neck felt wildly flexible. Are there different variants, or is that it and I got a badly set-up one?

The one I played had a $795 price tag on it.

– Kevin Frye

The only Dano 12 I've played was one of the earlier MIK incarnations. Had a real nice neck and didn't seem overly flexy to me but I didn't spend a lot of time on it. $795 seems a little steep....the new 6 string double cuts go for under $400.00 through MF. I'm guessing a new 12 string Dano would probably be under $600.00 street from places like MF or Sweetwater. Hanson Guitars now has a 12 string under their "Ravenswood" brand that has three Dyna looking pu's and a slotted headstock tuner configuiration similar to a Ric that goes for under $1,000.00 that looks really interesting.

Hi. Thanks for all the comments - really helpful. I would love the 6122-12 but my head tells me it's too much for what I (currently) see as a guitar I may not get huge use out of - but that will hopefully change! The thing I forgot to mention is that I'm in the UK which, for a 6122-12 means £2300 ($3500) new. Can't find any used here. The other issue is finding a store to try one out. Even the 5422 is hard to find. I managed a comparison between a used Rick and a new Dano which of course was no contest, but the quality of the Dano was nothing like the original reissues from the 90s. I think I need to hunt down the 5422 and give that a try.

Have you tried the Eastwood Classic 12 Here

There's also the Dean Boca 12 string .

And the new Dean Colt 12 string with Piezo pickup although these won't be out until June.

This one will take them all...when it's done!

They're not real common, but the Hamer Eclipse XII is really nice, and relatively inexpensive when you can find one. The stock bridge pickup is too hot, though - replace it with a Duncan Antiquity. Neck pickup is fine.

The only Dano 12 I've played was one of the earlier MIK incarnations. Had a real nice neck and didn't seem overly flexy to me but I didn't spend a lot of time on it. $795 seems a little steep....the new 6 string double cuts go for under $400.00 through MF. I'm guessing a new 12 string Dano would probably be under $600.00 street from places like MF or Sweetwater. Hanson Guitars now has a 12 string under their "Ravenswood" brand that has three Dyna looking pu's and a slotted headstock tuner configuiration similar to a Ric that goes for under $1,000.00 that looks really interesting.

– Gretschadelphia

My Dano 12 string has a "Made in China" sticker on the back. The serial # is 032408, but I can't find any reliable way to decode it. I'm fairly certain it was built no earlier than 2011. I purchased it from another GDP member for a lot lass than $795. The neck is great; no flexing. To be candid, it's been more stable than the neck on the Ric 660-12 I used to own.

I have one of those limited run blonde 6122-12s which I purchased a couple of years ago. However, right before I found it, I had recently purchased the 5122-12 in sunburst, but blonde was not an option. So, for a brief period, I had both guitars. The 5422-12's neck was just a bit wider than the 6122-12. I think it's a great sounding guitar for the money.

Now, I'm quite intrigued by the blonde 5122-12 shown in this thread because it has the open f-holes! I didn't even realize those were being made.

Now, I'm quite intrigued by the blonde 5122-12 shown in this thread because it has the open f-holes! I didn't even realize those were being made. -- Beatlebacker

The new blonde is actually a G6122-12 rather than a G5122-12 (or G5422DC12, to be more accurate). It is a full Pro line guitar. You would love it. However, it has the closed f-holes and the 2" body depth.

Now, I'm quite intrigued by the blonde 5122-12 shown in this thread because it has the open f-holes! I didn't even realize those were being made. -- Beatlebacker

The new blonde is actually a G6122-12 rather than a G5122-12 (or G5422DC12, to be more accurate). It is a full Pro line guitar. You would love it. However, it has the closed f-holes and the 2" body depth.

– Ric12string

I know that they are offering the 6122-12 in blonde as a new option. But there's also a photo of a 5422-12 in blonde shown in this very thread as part of a special run for one of the online music retailers. It has the blacktop filtertrons and open f-holes.

Bob Howard posted it about it earlier in the thread, and listed a link to another thread about it. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I already have one of the 2006 ish 6122-12s in blonde. It's called a Country Classic as it was right before the Chet name returned.

Link

I have the 5422-12 and it is a great guitar.

When I bought it from Shanghai, I had them reverse the courses, Rickenbacker style. that only required that they cut a new bone nut. I have been tempted to undo that.

I also played the Italia at NorCal Roundup and was very impressed by it.

If Guild came out with a Newark Street Starfire 12 I would sorely be tempted.

Parabar referred to the one at Roundup in 2012 and Jeff Alan Ross playing it. Here is the proof.

Register Sign in to join the conversation