Modern Gretsch Guitars

Grabbed a 6228 from the Adorama sale!

I'm a sucker for good deals. It looks like the sale price is about what they go for used. I get the sense that the pickups Shaw made for these are a little less traditional, but I've generally been fond of the pickups Shaw has made for Fender. If it's somewhere in between a PAF and Filtertron in tone, I'd probably be quite happy.

Ooh. Never saw the Anderton's vid on them:

Way to go, Golem! I watched the video, and I was impressed with these Gretsch guitars. I was equally unimpressed with guys in videos knowledge of the Gretsch company. Anyway, congrats on the new guitar, I'm sure it will bring you a lot of enjoyment. Give us a review, after you've had it a couple of weeks, and get to know it. I'm interested in how you like the Broad'Tron BT65 Humbucker pickups. In the video they sounded kind of Gibsony and kind of Gretschey.

I just bought my first Pro Line Gretsch (Labor Day), and it is a Player's Edition G6131T Firebird Jet, with High Sensitivity Filter'Tron pickups. I definitely love my Player's Edition Jet, and I'm betting that you will love yours too.

Way to go, Golem! I watched the video, and I was impressed with these Gretsch guitars. I was equally unimpressed with guys in videos knowledge of the Gretsch company. Anyway, congrats on the new guitar, I'm sure it will bring you a lot of enjoyment. Give us a review, after you've had it a couple of weeks, and get to know it. I'm interested in how you like the Broad'Tron BT65 Humbucker pickups. In the video they sounded kind of Gibsony and kind of Gretschey.

I just bought my first Pro Line Gretsch (Labor Day), and it is a Player's Edition G6131T Firebird Jet, with High Sensitivity Filter'Tron pickups. I definitely love my Player's Edition Jet, and I'm betting that you will love yours too.

– Wade H

Yeah, the Anderton's dudes know a lot about a lot, but very little about Gretsch. Gretsch might be an odd niche thing for a lot of people. Which is probably part of the reason I like Gretsch.

AMAZING! Dream guitar!

Congrats! The block inlays and scripty logo are really cool!

– Wade H

When I've had time since buying I've been listening to demos of this guitar. I don't if people mind me spamming every demo I've found, but I'd say the more I listen to good demos the more they seem similar to Lollartrons when people demo them in singelcuts like Les Pauls. Granted, you'd have to expect some tonal difference from the 6228 since it's highly chambered.

Compared to Lollartrons:

Tim Lerch is a great player, but you have to realize his tone is often a darker Jazz tone:

This Chris Cornell Sig demos sound more "Gretsch-y" but you also have to keep in mind this is Greg Koch were talking about:

So far I think one should get that a big part of the tone one gets from both broadtrons and Lollartrons is how you play and what amp you're going through. But I'd then compare this to Portertrons:

Anyhow... I'm done with sharing all the demos I found with comparisons to Lollars and Porters pickups. Most of my experience with trons comes from TV Jones or pickups TV Jones is known to have designed for Gretsch. I think one should expect a different flavor from other builders. There's also a video out there of Lollar explaining that his take is based on a very single example of a Filtertron that came through his shop that he loved. So perhaps one could think of 'tron as authentic but to a very specific example he found and liked.

Congrats! those are so nice. Great way to get an affordable Scripty Jet.

Congrats! those are so nice. Great way to get an affordable Scripty Jet.

– Suprdave

Thanks! I think it's the type of guitar I want but you never know for sure until it shows up. I had tried a Power jet in stores and decided it wasn't exactly what I wanted and I've owned a 6114R which had better ergonomics than the power jet and decent pickups (if you get the height right) but just wasn't exactly what I wanted either.

Videos aren't showing?

Videos aren't showing?

– Parabar

They show for me, but I can't speak for anyone else.

My new favorite demo. Just need to buy that Two Rock, Suhr Badger, and learn how to play a lot better:

Congrats! Those be nice guitars.

that sounds a whole lot Gretsch-ier that the rather standard PAF or overwound humbuckers i was expecting. and if you did my favorite mod and put on a bar bridge--which drops onto ABR-1-sized posts--it would be even more so.

that sounds a whole lot Gretsch-ier that the rather standard PAF or overwound humbuckers i was expecting. and if you did my favorite mod and put on a bar bridge--which drops onto ABR-1-sized posts--it would be even more so.

– macphisto

I agree about the Gretsch-ier than I was expecting part. To me they're at least in the same ballpark as a Lollartron. I think if you're a die hard fan of TV Jones Filters, they might not be your thing. If you like a wide variety of guitars and pickups, this might just be another option to have at your disposal.

But, I'm not a traditonalist and a lot of my favorite Gretsch players play with more gain. It also sounds like this Jet takes care of three of the issues I have with Lp-esque singlecut designs: upper fret access, weight, and pickups sounding too dark.

It should be here tomorrow.

it definitely seems to sit in a spot between two somewhat related designs--standard 'buckers and FilterTrons--in much the same way as the DeArmond 2000 pickups in the 00s Electromatics fit neatly between Dynasonics and P-90s.

these pickups seem like they might benefit from being set a bit farther from the strings than one normally would with a PAF to bring out the Gretschness a bit. if they're way up close they might be a bit overwhelming. of course, you may want that. which is fine...if it works for you, it works for me.

It arrived. Super busy with work so haven't played it much. Looks fantastic. Better than typical upper fret access. Decent weight, but I'd guess somewhere in the 8lb range offhand. Not as light as the 6114R I used to own which I think was in the 6lb range.

It was nearly in Eb out of the box so that's what I tuned to. I've never played a filtertron in that tuning, but I can tell you it doesn't sound like any other humbucker I've played in that tuning through that amp.

Register Sign in to join the conversation