Modern Gretsch Guitars

Get A Load Of The Burl Penguin

The Burl acoustic:

Looks great. The gold hardware goes well with that finish.

eww...no offense, but I think it's awful...!

eww...no offense, but I think it's awful...!

– WB

None taken.

I'm a sucker for burl, and would take that over a regular penguin any day.

There are some cool guitars on that site.

beautiful beautifuly guitar... but ruined w gold hardware.

I like it a lot and think that the light top/dark back & sides looks great, kinda like that spruce top Jet Curt fixed recently. Also, if you hit the link with the (raw wood?) Falcon headstocks, it'll take you on a recent Gretsch factory tour!

The Burl acoustic:

– r0de0

Reading the thread title, I was expecting to find a Burl Ives model given the Penguin treatment. This is not that.

Reading the thread title, I was expecting to find a Burl Ives model given the Penguin treatment. This is not that.

– Afire

Strangely, that was exactly where my mind went, also....

Guess my age is showing.

Not my favorite, but nice. I like it.

No thanks.... just not my thing.

None taken.

I'm a sucker for burl, and would take that over a regular penguin any day.

– crowbone

I too am a sucker for burl... but this is pretty weak no? It's like burl-lite... and needs to be more figured in my opinion. It looks more like a dirty guitar to me. Bring on some real burl guys!

Real burl... (and blue ta boot)!

I too am a sucker for burl... but this is pretty weak no? It's like burl-lite... and needs to be more figured in my opinion. It looks more like a dirty guitar to me. Bring on some real burl guys!

– kc_eddie_b

You asked.... I actually had it bookmarked! Authentic, real, genuine Burl, circa 1949.

Strangely, that was exactly where my mind went, also....

Guess my age is showing.

– Kevin Frye

It's not your age, it's your familiarity with Gretsch history. And your mendacity.

It's not your age, it's your familiarity with Gretsch history. And your mendacity.

– Afire

Mendacity. Is that anywhere near Mendacino?

(Yes, I know that's a misspelling.)

No, No, No.... it's all wrong... If they're going to go to the trouble to make a Burl Penguin FSR, then they should at least make sure that Terada has their act together...

Now THIS is what a Burl Penguin should look like....

And instead of a penguin on the pickguard, it should have THIS--

Ikebe did a run of koa Jets last year and they looked amazing. If I'd had the money I would have bought one - they were quite reasonably priced.

It's cool.. different, John. I'm just more of a fan of solid colors and sparkle finishes on Jets and Penguins.

Register Sign in to join the conversation