Modern Gretsch Guitars

g9555 modifications

Hi guys, New here. Thanks for having me! I have a s/h g9555 New Yorker. It's a lot of fun to play but I really didn't like the pickup that it came with so bought a TV Jones Classic in a Dyna mount for the neck. Obviously, I had to rout the body to fit. Result was really good. Great vintage tone that still sounds like a full hollow body. I'm thinking of trying a bridge pickup too. Anyone know how a Dynasonic bridge would work against a TV classic neck? I'm planning to do some more changes visually to the guitar to make it look a bit more like its older namesake. I had a quick search but couldn't see a thread for g9555 mods. Anyone else done anything similar?

Thanks!

Also, I'll be looking for a vintage style pickguard since I moved the volume pot to the body. Any recommends?

Welcome to all things Gretsch! Paul Setzer does great guards.

What you've done is to make your New Yorker into a Corvette, the entry level vintage Gretsch electric. Good choice. The Filtertron neck/Dyna bridge is a classic combination; you can't go wrong. I've run across only one modern New Yorker but it was a much better guitar than the '56 New Yorker I had. Before you start routing for a bridge pickup, try a Dynasonic/T-Armond in the neck position. The sound of a single Dynasonic in a deep body archtop is sublime. Happy trails.

Welcome to all things Gretsch! Paul Setzer does great guards.

– Windsordave

thanks for the help!

What you've done is to make your New Yorker into a Corvette, the entry level vintage Gretsch electric. Good choice. The Filtertron neck/Dyna bridge is a classic combination; you can't go wrong. I've run across only one modern New Yorker but it was a much better guitar than the '56 New Yorker I had. Before you start routing for a bridge pickup, try a Dynasonic/T-Armond in the neck position. The sound of a single Dynasonic in a deep body archtop is sublime. Happy trails.

– lx

Thats what i was aiming for! I like the look of the early Corvettes. I may have found a Dyna bridge pickup already. Ive made an offer so I guess we'll see! For a relatively cheap guitar, its a lot of fun with some flatwound 12s on. I was reading a thread on Dearmond/Dynasonic pickups earlier on here. Seems they re released 2000s under the Guild brand. I had a 5129 with them on, I loved the sound of it but not the looks. They dont ship to the UK though... Thanks for the help!

Welcome aboard. We need some pic's, please.

Haha, thanks! I tried but couldnt get any to upload!

I'm still having trouble uploading photos. It will allow me to use the camera on my phone but not to select gallery photos. Anyone else had trouble with this?

You can only post one pic at a time and include some text. Uploading from a phone can be problematic.

Welcome to the GDP, Jonnydoghouse! That's a beautiful guitar that you have. Good luck with Dynasonic pick up, I hope it works out for you.

Well, I managed to snag the Dynasonic on Reverb for a reasonable price so looking forward to getting that fitted soon! Does anyone have a link to a wiring diagram as far as pots and caps go for this configuration? TV Jones classic neck and Dynasonic bridge. Thanks for your help guys!

Oh, and in other news, I slipped and fractured my wrist the other night. It's going to be a while before I can enjoy playing properly. Pretty difficult with a cast!

What a bummer! Hope things heal up as fast as possible for you.

Looks like you figured out how to get a pic posted, thanks.

Sorry to hear about your wrist. It sucks to have to wait.

Oh man, sorry to hear about your broken wrist, Jonny. I hope you recover quickly.

Well, after waiting for 3 weeks, the Dynasonic from Reverb didnt turn up so I got a refund. Found a Dearmond 2000 on DV247 for £60 though. I just fitted the Dearmond in the bridge position and it sounds great. My wrist is healing and I can twang once more. I'll see if I can post a photo. Merry Christmas folks!

Great to hear that you're on the mend. Sorry to hear that he pickup didn't work out for you but it sounds like things worked out after all.

Register Sign in to join the conversation