Vintage Gretsch Guitars

New Guitar Day (1960? G6120)

Have to share a fun story.

I've played a modern white falcon jr. for a while...in large part in tribute to my "uncle" (father's uncle really) who fronted a big band in the 50s and 60s on his Gretsch. He purchased one for each of his daughters, neither of whom continued playing much after past high school. Unfortunately, their guitars have simply sat unused in cases.

Today is my birthday. And my aunt decided it was a time for her Gretsch to go to a new home. In the near future...late next week...G6120 serial number 34582 is coming to live with me.

There is some obvious oxidation on the hardware, but my uncle would be happy to have it played again so I will invest to make it playable. It still has the original case and the brown leather strap.

I'll take some higher quality photos when it arrives. My fingers are crossed the binding is intact ;)

Two serials from Brian Setzer's favored 6120 in the last 15 years. I had #34548. Great batch!!

I only knew about 33024...has he been playing something else? I just, for some reason, assumed it was the same.

congrats !!! Happy New Guitar Day ! and welcome to the gretschpages or as it is commonly referred to as the GDP(Gretsch Discussion Pages). looking forward to seeing your new(old) guitar once you get it.

That's the Stray Cat guitar. The one in the early BSO days was the flamey 337XX "Steve Miller" guitar. Since about 1998, he has played the deeper orange on with a plain top and flamed sides, #34580. I sold 34548 to another GDP'er, but still have 33714.

Welcome and congrats. Such a cool story, and yes, post pics when you get it home.

I'm sure that you'll more than enjoy this one.

Congratulations. My dad played, i started learning when my dad was ill withn alzhiemers. I enjoy trying to play every single day. Be patient as you grow into the instrument. Looking forward to reading about your adventure. The folks here can provide you endless info and encouregment. Many tips on how to learn too. Enjoy and welcome.

Welcome to the GDP! It's always great to welcome new members but this is a particular treat in that you're a gal-new-member and you're about to receive an extremely cool vintage Gretsch!......and a highly iconic one at that!!

The guitar is absolutely stunning (but please remove pick before playing ). Congrats and, like everyone, I look forward to the pictures.

Wow, you are the lucky one! Congrats and enjoy!

You've been playing a White Falcon and now are inheriting a vintage 6120? You're starting your Gretsch addiction off the right way! Enjoy!

For the record, and since it was confusing, the woman in the picture is the one giving me her guitar.

I'm rather more male and substantively bearded ;). I've read GDP for quite a while and am sure I will have quite a few questions in the near future about what to do to make it playable again.

And yes, rather privileged to have a white falcon jr as a companion to the new/old 6120.

Great story ,looking forward to seeing you get it back into shape!

Congrats and welcome to Gretsch Pages. Please post more pics of that beautiful Gretsch!

Great story, congrats! Looks like really nice vintage 6120. Had a similar thing happen once. I was playing a gig and a guy came up afterwards and gave me his 68 Martin D-21 Brazilian Rosewood! It was virtually unplayed since his days in college, said it should be out and playing music once again. Love to hear passing of old guitars to people that appreciate and can use them!

Very cool!

Welcome!

Played my orange 6120 today in a sideman thing, but it's much newer (Terada).

Real vintage Gretsches are da bomb!

Have already learned a lot from reading...and have, of course, ordered Ed's book to learn a bit more about the instrument about to arrive.

I did receive another photo...it looks like the cowboy case appears to be in fairly decent shape.

Indeed it does!

Great score!

Thanks for sharing it here with us!

That's a great pix... she's having fun with it.

Congrats!

That's a great pix... she's having fun with it.

– DCBirdMan

She hadn't opened the case in almost 30 years! Her father, my inspiration, would take it out and play it whenever he was over.

I miss that man, I only took one lessons with him and still use the voicings and approaches he taught me every time I play.

Excuse the photobomb...I couldn't find an easy way to attach multiples to a post.

It is definitely in need of some preservation...but I intend to find the right person help make it a player again. I've already had a recommendation for someone local (to Denver) as well as a recommendation I talk to Randy Wood. It seems that, based on old threads and sponsorship of this forum, there is an obvious first choice in Curt Wilson too.

Actually, so that it is less brain damage, here is a flickr album.

The case includes a funky grey cable, a tuning fork, several old picks, a round package of "electromatic" strings with a lone b string in it, and the instructions for the gretsch cleaning cloth.

If there is anything obvious I should take a picture of that I didn't, let me know and I'll update the album.

Gorgeous,what a beauty!

Register Sign in to join the conversation