Other Players

Taylor Swift vs. Apple

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned here. Taylor Swift called out Apple for their new music streaming service, which promised three free months to new subscribers. However the rub was that artists wouldn't get any royalties for those three months either. Apple tried to justify it by saying that their later royalty rate was higher than other services and would compensate artists for the lost three months.

Ms. Swift wrote an open letter to Apple

http://taylorswift.tumblr.c...

and the Cupertino company blinked and agreed to pay artists during the free offer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015...

While one can question the singer's motives (she has pulled her music from Spotify and is behind the new streaming service Tribal with other heavyweights like Jay-Z), she claims she was standing up for others who need the money streaming sites provide. I'm surprised Apple Music would even be able to stream music commercially without paying royalties.

Now apparently it's been resolved and everyone's happy. What do people think?

I'm not a fan of her music, tho my daughter is as they're the same age. She does write her own tunes, plays guitar, isn't in legal trouble of any sort, and has a pretty sharp business acumen. She herself could get by for three months, but, according to the article, she did it for those that are new to the biz, and couldn't get by for three months without being paid.

Apple wants to give their new service a boost by offering free music at the musicians' expense. Apple benefits and they wanted to screw th musicians---like always. Thanks, Taylor, for sticking up for the little guy.

She is remarkable, to be sure. I believe her involvement with Jay Z's new music service Tidal is limited to streaming her music, with the exception of her newest release, 1989.

The streaming technology, with its pathetic monetary allowances, has arrived just in time to be totally acceptable to those who have been raised in the era of Napster, file sharing, and "Hey man, it's music, and music should be free."

Jay Z pledged that this would be different, and that artists and writers would receive fair compensation. We shall see.

I'm glad to see an artist with some business moxie and the backbone to lay down some ground rules. She certainly does not have that "someone else handles that" attitude.

I am a big fan of Taylor Swift, the girl and businesswoman. Her music sells, so what is there to criticize?

Atta girl, Taylor. Sic 'em.

I thought this was all hyped up BS to promote Apple's new streaming service.

All of the hype and BS comes from Apple at the expense of the musicians. Taylor Swift has skills, moxie, talent, and guts wrapped up in a nice package. Impressive young lady.

Taylor Swift's letter is genius. She manages to say in as few words as possible with as much respect and passion as possible what the right thing to do is and why. It seems she took Abraham Lincoln's approach with his life affirming Gettysburg Address and modeled her modern day music business letter in a similar fashion.

Not a TS fan either but based on everything I read about how difficult it is for a musician to earn in this day and age it is refreshing to see someone take a stand.

I'm not a fan of her music, but I'm increasingly impressed by her willingness to throw her weight around in the industry for those who have less of a platform.

Yep, you don't have to like her, or her music, but fortunately she's got the money and guts to make a "stand" for artists compensation, and that's a good thing IMO.

She's at the top of her game, has the pull, has the power, and has to be dealt with by these Corporate Thieves...............and that helps all the artists.

Bravo young lady, Bravo.

Think what you will but the industry needs her energy and stand. You can already see what the alternative is.

I agreed with this until I found out how incredibly unfair her (and some other artists) photog contracts are

She criticizes Apple for undervaluing Artists, and then she rips off other artists (concert photogs)

Hypocrite

http://consequenceofsound.n...

Reading over that link that WhittleZ posted I would have to say one would have to be naïve to believe this sort of matter is under the control of the artist. To indict TS over the legal language of an obscure contract that in all likelihood she has never seen is preposterous. That's what she pays her legal team for.

Again, I care nothing about her or her music.

Reading over that link that WhittleZ posted I would have to say one would have to be naïve to believe this sort of matter is under the control of the artist. To indict TS over the legal language of an obscure contract that in all likelihood she has never seen is preposterous. That's what she pays her legal team for.

Again, I care nothing about her or her music.

– razzer10_4

I don't think it's obscure and it has been brought to her attention

And she hasn't changed it for the better

It's not that it sucked

It's that she's been made aware of it, if she wasn't before and she hasn't changed it

It's her right to be greedy and ripoff photogs, but it brands her a hypocrite IMO

Ymmv

Good for Taylor....and, the photo contract looks like a non-issue to me.

And just for the record, I'm not slagging on her. I know she has done plenty of selfless stuff for sick kids, her fans etc, and I believe she does it because she has a good heart, not for publicity

I also think she's gorgeous!

Iow, while I think her stance on this issue is lame, I'm still a fan and I still have respect for her.

I'm not perfect and I'm sure I've been a hypocrite before

It's not as bad as a Hollywood superstar who charters a private jet to go to a global warming conference :)

She is remarkable, to be sure. I believe her involvement with Jay Z's new music service Tidal is limited to streaming her music, with the exception of her newest release, 1989.

The streaming technology, with its pathetic monetary allowances, has arrived just in time to be totally acceptable to those who have been raised in the era of Napster, file sharing, and "Hey man, it's music, and music should be free."

Jay Z pledged that this would be different, and that artists and writers would receive fair compensation. We shall see.

– Deed Eddy

Amen

Well done Taylor Swift and think her latest album is some catchy and fun pop music.

btw.... Her "Blank Space" video was filmed at the same castle the animal rescue group I volunteer with held their fund raiser last year.

Register Sign in to join the conversation