Modern Gretsch Guitars

G6120 (L) models w/ the thickest necks?

Hi -

First time posting.

I'm in the market for a 6120, and unfortunately live in Wyoming, where it's incredibly difficult to find and play a Gretsch - so I'm almost certainly going to have to buy one online (also just looking at used instruments).

My impression is that overall, necks are pretty thin, but I want to try and find one with the thickest neck I can. My current guitars, and ones that I love the necks on, are a K-Line Tele that measures .875 at the 1st fret, and a '58RI 335 that is more like .920 at the 1st fret. Both are kinda U profiles. I've had a few soft V profile guitars I've really liked as well.

I don't think I can get that thick on a Gretsch, but if there are models that can get me over .850, I'd probably be in good shape.

I am specifically interested in lacquer finish models - so looking mostly at the G6120-1959LTV, RHH and SSLVO, though a lacquer finish w/ a fatter neck and Dynasonics would actually probably work as well.

Anyone have measurements from these models, or own one and feel like breaking out the calipers?

Thanks a ton!

Bob

I have yet to play a 6120, old or new, that has anywhere near a big neck.

Mid to late 60s 6120s sometimes have a meatier neck since the shape often is more U than C with some shoulders to it. But they are also quite different in many other ways.

I have yet to play a 6120, old or new, that has anywhere near a big neck.

– WB

Are there models that do? Seems most are about the same.

My '53 Duo jet has a pretty healthy neck. Chunkiest in my stable. I wonder if the recent reissues of that model do as well?

I had a '12 6120-59LTV, and have a '14 6120-59QM-LTD. Both of these necks have the vintage or soft "V", and IMO, are "the" neck of all 6120's. I love the feel of these V's, and they are my favorites in my old hands.

Some of these models have a 12" radius, and some have the 9.5" radius.

IIRC, some of the Setzer necks were the same as the LTV's.

It appears that in the last few years, that Gretsch got away from making this profile, based on how they are now describing them on all the new 6120's.

My '06 6116PTV Power Tenny has the soft "V" neck. At least on mine, the "V" feels slightly offset, shaped like the space between your thumb and pointer finger. It is also a bit wider at the zero fret (around 1.72") with a 12" fretboard radius.

Yeah, got a line on a 1959LTV that the seller measured at .891

My guess is it isn't quite that large, but should be useable, so I think I will grab it.

It is a '13.

Good move. If you're wanting a 6120, and like "fatter" necks, this will probably be your best shot of being happy with one.

LTV's are great models in every way IMO.

I have a 2013 6120T1959LTV and the neck feels less full than than the 04 Duo Jet I have. I stopped by Wildwood Guitars north of Denver and played a variety of 6120's they had on hand. Not a lot of difference, I would say the one I liked best was a 6120T1959 Vintage Select model. I tried a Vintage select 55 Falcon and that truly had a beefier neck profile, a bit too much for me.

Welp, this one is on its way, so we'll see... he measured it at .891. Hopefully it comes in at a size that doesn't drive me too nuts. I doubt it is actually .891, though that'd be great.

https://reverb.com/item/795...

Gorgeous! Let us know how you get along, with her.

my 2013 SSLVO has a chunky soft V neck, my 2008 6118 LTV has a meaty U neck, my 04 hot rod has a slim soft V and my December 03 6120 DS has a chunky C shape. So basically they are all over the place.

Hi -

First time posting.

I'm in the market for a 6120, and unfortunately live in Wyoming, where it's incredibly difficult to find and play a Gretsch - so I'm almost certainly going to have to buy one online (also just looking at used instruments).

My impression is that overall, necks are pretty thin, but I want to try and find one with the thickest neck I can. My current guitars, and ones that I love the necks on, are a K-Line Tele that measures .875 at the 1st fret, and a '58RI 335 that is more like .920 at the 1st fret. Both are kinda U profiles. I've had a few soft V profile guitars I've really liked as well.

I don't think I can get that thick on a Gretsch, but if there are models that can get me over .850, I'd probably be in good shape.

I am specifically interested in lacquer finish models - so looking mostly at the G6120-1959LTV, RHH and SSLVO, though a lacquer finish w/ a fatter neck and Dynasonics would actually probably work as well.

Anyone have measurements from these models, or own one and feel like breaking out the calipers?

Thanks a ton!

Bob

– BobL

Hi Bob, and welcome to all things Gretsch. I'm really curious as to why you need a chunky/thick neck? The only reason I can think of as to why someone has this requirement is if you have very big hands. In that case I can see how a thin neck simply wouldn't work for you.

IMO, quite possibly the thickest neck I've seen on a Gretsch are the early year's ('70's)production of the Super Chet that had the wider neck at 1.75-800" at the nut. Neck profile is a deep U and the middle of the back is flat all the way up.

It is all comfort and personal preference. Overly (to me) thin necks make my left hand cramp. As a result, I have avoided them for the past 20ish years... As a result I just play better on a thicker neck because it feels 'right' to me now.

I don't think my hands are particularly large, but maybe? I wear an XL glove, if that helps? :)

I actually don't like wider necks - just deeper. I have a Martin 000-18GE that is 1.75 at the nut, and it in fact causes me some issues with numbness. A nice, palm filling C or U, though? Love it.

Thanks Bob. I play fingerstyle - Chet/Merle's style - and chord a lot using my thumb. To facilitate this I need the neck to be that little bit wider but at the same time, a shallow C profile so the less mass of the neck allows me to wrap my thumb around. To also help in this regard I have all the [bone] nuts cut with a little bit wider spacing biased to the low E so I don't have to stretch to reach it. All guitars have the low E too far inboard for me. The Super Chet neck had the width I wanted but was far to deep to be comfortable. My Gibson Country Gent has a very shallow C-shape [and the wider neck] and it's perfect for me. Along with the many other mods I had my luthier do after I bought the SC, was to sand down the neck to the profile she took from the Gent. It's such a perfect match you can't till the difference in a blind test.

Different strokes for different folks, eh? Nice to hear from someone else who's so particular about the details of the neck's on his guitars. Some folks can pick up any guitar and sound good on it but I confess, not me. I have to have a guitar have most of what I have set up on mine to sound up to performing with. Still fun to try out other guitars but I do best with my features.

BTW, while I did have Nicole refret my '41 Synchro archtop, I didn't, out of respect for this fabulous old gal, replace the nut. It's standard width neck with a somewhat deeper asymmetric profile, is a bit of a stretch.

Don't know if it concerns you, but the other factor you may need to consider in your search along with the neck profile, is the fretboard radius. Please let us know how your search goes.

Different strokes, for sure.

One of the things that really drew me to the Setzer (SSLVO) was the 9.45" radius - I think that's about the sweet spot. However, of the two electrics I have, one is a 10" radius and one is a 12", and I get along fine with both, though I prefer the 10" a bit. Acoustics are a 12 and two 16s. In the end the deal I could find on the LTV was a lot better than what I could find in a Setzer, so... yeah.

I think you're going to like the LTV. They are IMO the best Pro-Line Gretsch guitars of the Fender era, though I'm a bit biased.

All I can say about the neck of my '07 LTV is that the neck is slightly V shaped, and neither too thin nor too thick. It's a very comfortable neck to play.

Guitar turned up yesterday - overall I'm very impressed. Fit and finish is flawless, and it sounds really great. Those TV Jones Classics hit all the right notes - incredible top end - clear and present w/o any harshness.

Got to play it w/ my more rock sorta band last night, which wasn't really what I got it for, but it did great for that. Will try it w/ the country band next week.

Neck measurement was way off from what the seller reported - actual measurement .828 vs the .891 they reported, but I can live with it - I don't think I'd be able to find one that is bigger.

Yeh should have warned you the measurement was wrong. My 13 SSLVO is about the same. I do prefer thicker necks but the SSLVO is pretty comfy.

Register Sign in to join the conversation