Modern Gretsch Guitars

G6120-CGP Volume Pots

Just bought this 2009 guitar, and am loving everything but the volume pots. All the audio seems to be at about 7-10, below that each pot goes silent.

Do Gretsches typically have non-audio taper pots; i.e., if I have a tech replace the pots with good audio taper pots, should that fix the issue?

Just bought this 2009 guitar, and am loving everything but the volume pots. All the audio seems to be at about 7-10, below that each pot goes silent.

Do Gretsches typically have non-audio taper pots; i.e., if I have a tech replace the pots with good audio taper pots, should that fix the issue?

– phaser

I'm jealous! I didn't have the money when a killer deal on one showed online....now I have the money...but no CGP :(

Yours is an odd description to me. If you are losing Volume within a 1/3rd of rotation, those pots would be a steep Audio Taper? It would be good to know the component values.

Maybe the CGP specs are a little different, as Chet might have otherwise wanted. I guess if they are Linear, they are wired opposite to what I am familiar.

I have Linear Volume and Tone pots in one guitar, I notice the Tone rotation difference a lot more ... it all changes in the last 1/3rd.

Yours is an odd description to me. If you are losing Volume within a 1/3rd of rotation, those pots would be a steep Audio Taper? It would be good to know the component values.

Maybe the CGP specs are a little different, as Chet might have otherwise wanted. I guess if they are Linear, they are wired opposite to what I am familiar.

I have Linear Volume and Tone pots in one guitar, I notice the Tone rotation difference a lot more ... it all changes in the last 1/3rd.

– Twangmeisternyc

I wondered if the CGP specs were different; there's no info at all on the Gretsch site, but I have the hangtag and case candy, and the descriptions that were published when it was new, and don't see any mention of the pots used. The guitar is not included on Gretsch's schematics page. I do recall reading that they were trying to emulate Chet's original as much as possible (except for the thick one-piece top), was Gretsch using a different spec in the 50s?

Certainly the Cap values were different back in the day...but, it might just be its not matching well to your amp?

Again, my experience with Linear is in the Gibby 2-over-2 Volume/Tone setup. And the effect you describe happens at the other end of the dial, but only on Tone.

Need a schematic or to open her up...

Certainly the Cap values were different back in the day...but, it might just be its not matching well to your amp?

Again, my experience with Linear is in the Gibby 2-over-2 Volume/Tone setup. And the effect you describe happens at the other end of the dial, but only on Tone.

Need a schematic or to open her up...

– Twangmeisternyc

I don't think there are any caps in the CGP; there's no tone pot or mud switch.

Here's the hang tag to see what the controls do.

This isn't the same then, it's unique. I wonder how many were made?

I know of this guitar, never seen one in the wild ...

This isn't the same then, it's unique. I wonder how many were made?

I know of this guitar, never seen one in the wild ...

– Twangmeisternyc

That’s an interesting question: how many were made. Everyone, including the seller I bought mine from, keeps saying there are 75. But the language in Gretsch’s promotional material reads:

As a limited release, only 75 guitars will be produced world wide in 2008. Here's your chance to own one of the first batch of reproductions of this seminal instrument.

Well, mine was made in 2009, and there’s one listed on these pages from 2013. So did Gretsch mean 75 total, or 75 in 2008?

https://www.creamcitymusic....

I found this description...easier to read than the brochure. There are Caps in the mudswitch, ... I wonder about how the wiring harness adapts to the Stereo/Mono switching by adding or reducing resistance, etc.

Still need a schematic...Joe C. can probably come up with one.

https://www.creamcitymusic....

I found this description...easier to read than the brochure. There are Caps in the mudswitch, ... I wonder about how the wiring harness adapts to the Stereo/Mono switching by adding or reducing resistance, etc.

Still need a schematic...Joe C. can probably come up with one.

– Twangmeisternyc

There ain't no mud switch, nor tone pot. We have the usual pickup selector, the other switch goes between mono and stereo mode. The upper bout knob as usual is a master volume; of the only two other pots, one is active in stereo mode and controls the levels of strings 1, 2 and 3; the other is only functional in mono mode and is a bridge pickup level.

I'd love to see a schematic. It's an odd bird!

Cream City missed that one, eh?

Send a note off to Gretsch in Scottsdale...very curious.

Cream City missed that one, eh?

Send a note off to Gretsch in Scottsdale...very curious.

– Twangmeisternyc

Will get around to it, next week probably. Here's a good look at the body and controls.

Register Sign in to join the conversation