Modern Gretsch Guitars

g6119-62VS trestle braced?

Aside from having to pop my pickup out of my 6119-62 do you think this is a misprint on the Gretsch site?

Trestle bracing doesn't seem to be period correct for a 62 Tenny RI.

https://www.gretschguitars....

The write-up states: "Parallel tone bars connect the top and back of this guitar for authentic vintage tone". If it states trestle bracing in the specs, I 'spect it's an error, which is not uncommon.

To your point: I don't think trestle bracing would be period correct. Plus on an Electrotone body, trestle bracing would seem to be somewhat overkill.

From another forum...

Here:

https://www.gretschguitars....

Under the "body tag"

Actually a got it confirmed from Gretsch:

Chase Miller (Fender)

Jan 12, 10:04 MST

Hello,

Those specs are correct. The model isn't intended to be 100% vintage correct but to be a take on a specific year with a a few more modern features.

Regards-

Chase Miller

Representative, Consumer Relations /U.S. Direct Sales

Fender Musical Instruments Corp.

Of course, I wouldn't trust a customer service rep all that much more than the website, which may well be where he's getting his info too.

Sorry Captainvideo, you may just have to pull a pickup and see for yourself if you want to know for sure.

Afire, Are you UKDK on the beatgearcavern? He posted the same Jan 12 response Chase Miller. I emailed Gretsch today.
Will pull a pickup on my 2017 6119-62 when I get home from work and take pictures to post here and at the beatgearcavern

Afire, Are you UKDK on the beatgearcavern?

No, I'm john. And I'm guessing you must be supertwangreverb.

Afire, Are you UKDK on the beatgearcavern? He posted the same Jan 12 response Chase Miller. I emailed Gretsch today.
Will pull a pickup on my 2017 6119-62 when I get home from work and take pictures to post here and at the beatgearcavern

– captainvideo

I'm curious to see the results . . .

Its about impossible to get a decent picture with my large phone camera. If these are trestles they don't go from top of body to bottom. There's also a sound post which I feel isn't a part of the trestle construction.

You’ve got parallel tone bars and a sound post. No trestles.

The write-up states: "Parallel tone bars connect the top and back of this guitar for authentic vintage tone". If it states trestle bracing in the specs, I 'spect it's an error, which is not uncommon.

To your point: I don't think trestle bracing would be period correct. Plus on an Electrotone body, trestle bracing would seem to be somewhat overkill.

– AndyJ

Andy, my 6122-58 does have trestle bracing. Granted it's a "deep" Electrotone body, but the combination of the Electrotone body and trestle bracing is a very focused tone.

Just plum sweet sounding, and one of my favorite Gretsches. No overkill IMO

Well Gretsch is telling me it has trestles. Yes, the G6119T-62VS does have trestle bracing in it. Gretsch Guitars developed trestle bracing and first used it in the late 1950s, at the behest of Chet Atkins himself, so an early 60s Tennessee Rose having trestle bracing wouldn't be too out of character.

If you have any other questions, please let me know. Thanks,

Taylor Stephens

Representative, Consumer Relations /U.S. Direct Sales

Fender Musical Instruments Corp. 17600 N. Perimeter Drive, Suite 100 Scottsdale, AZ 85255 Telephone: 480-845-5136

Yeah, that's not trestle bracing. Whoever comes up with the specs is doing a great job. Whoever is in charge of keeping track and communicating it to the website admins and sales/customer service staff is not doing such a great job. Not that it matters to 95% of customers, but most legacy guitar companies are more detail oriented.

My 6117T-HT, an early '60s "inspired" model, has trestle bracing. I don't know why Gretsch did that. A soundpost would have sufficed for the HiLo Trons (and saved money, no doubt).

Andy, my 6122-58 does have trestle bracing. Granted it's a "deep" Electrotone body, but the combination of the Electrotone body and trestle bracing is a very focused tone.

Just plum sweet sounding, and one of my favorite Gretsches. No overkill IMO

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

JD, that's right! The '58 Gent had both . . . a deeper body depth, as you pointed, out may have had something to do with that or they were just experimenting for Chet's-sake. Regardless, I stand corrected. Thanks for dropping the 411.

Is Joe Carducci around? Sometimes he weighs in with the facts.

JD, that's right! The '58 Gent had both . . . a deeper body depth, as you pointed, out may have had something to do with that or they were just experimenting for Chet's-sake. Regardless, I stand corrected. Thanks for dropping the 411.

– AndyJ

Hey Andy, as we all know, things can change by year on modern Gretsches.

I remember years back a thread about the 6122-58 and what bracing was used on them. IIRC, the first year or so of these, did not have the trestle bracing, then some folks started seeing them.

I had been eye balling this model for several years, and finally did a trade with another GDPer for a very nice "JT0707" build.

First thing that I did was pull a pup to see what was under the hood of this Electrotone big bodied sweetheart. Sure enough, it had trestles. So at least I can say that for the July of '07, Gretsch did incorporate the trestle bracing.

With the deep, 17" Electrotone body and trestles, I feel that they hit a winning combination. Even though the deep body isn't period correct, this combo has a very nice tone to it. It just sounds tight and focused, but in a delicate way.

I've just loved this model right from the start. I still think about my wanting a 6119-62, but I feel happy and fortunate with what I have. The 6119-62's thin 16" Electrotone body sure does make for a very comfortable playing guitar though.

Myself, I do prefer trestles, but having the tone post like the OP has, sure wouldn't be a deal breaker for me on a 6119-62, as they sound wonderful to my old ears.

Is Joe Carducci around? Sometimes he weighs in with the facts.

– captainvideo

It would be nice for Joe to chime in, and get the advertised specs corrected at Gretsch.

That said, the fact is, based on your pics, that this guitar has the parallel tone bars and a tone post brace.

Yeah, the Gretsch website has some bad info as of late.

We had to reach out to them regarding the ply count on a few of the vintage select models recently too.

I heard back about the ply counts from someone at Gretsch. But they clearly don't know which models have trestles so maybe that information was erroneous as well?

Paging Joe Carducci.

Seeing that Joe has been active I thought I'd bump this up to see if it crosses his radar.

So I heard back from Gretsch after showing them this guitar doesn't have trestle bracing. FWIW I still think he's wrong. According to what I've read Gretsch changed the name Golden Era to Vintage Select to not be confused with Martin's long running Golden Era.

"My apologies. Based on what I was reading in our specs, I was led to believe that this model did have it. Our new Vintage Select models have trestle bracing, but if you have a Golden Era model or earlier, it'll have parallel tone bars. The Players edition also had ML bracing, or parallel tone bars, as well. I believe our Gretsch guru Joe Carducci confirmed that yours would have parallel tone bars.

Sorry for the mix up."

Register Sign in to join the conversation