Modern Gretsch Guitars

G6118T-60 VINTAGE SELECT EDITION ‘60 ANNIVERSARY - any comments?

This is another guitar I am very interested in, I love the looks and the TV Jones HiLo'trons intrigue me. I've owned a few Gretsch's and have a TV Jones Spectra-Sonic Supreme with a Classic and Classic Plus and a '53 Vintage select Duo-Jet with TV Jones D'Armonds. I'm thinking a full sized hollowbody with HiLo's would be a nice compliment.

Link

Any owners, players, please chime in. I play through a Bassman type amp (Allen Hot Blond) and VOX AC30 / AC15 and think this would sound incredible with these amps.

One of my friends has an original 1960s version and it sounds amazing.

My question is if I have TVJones T’Armonds on another guitar are TV HiLoTrons so different to justify having both?

Perfect timing!

I made a Video, the other day, playing my 1964 Gretsch Double Anniversary!

One of my top Guitars :)

Also, "Brain Jones", from "The Rolling Stones", played one for a bit around 1965 ;)

I've got a 1960, and it sounds great! Real Hi-Los are definitely quieter than the TV Jones iteration, but they're also very poorly put together and prone to falling apart.

My question is if I have TVJones T’Armonds on another guitar are TV HiLoTrons so different to justify having both?

– BirdsNBats

T'Armonds sound completely different than HiLotrons. T'Armonds have slug magnet pole pieces and are wound hotter. Fender single coil pickups also use slug magnet pickups but theirs are thinner. Pickups constructed this way have a crisper, sharper and more percussive attack. HiLotrons are made with bar magnets and screws that are the pole pieces. The attack is smoother, more rounded and less percussive. HiLotrons sound more like a low wind P90 without the mid push than a T'Armond which sounds more like a bigger and bolder Telecaster style pickup. Both are great at what they do and neither sounds like the pickups I compared them to but I wanted to give a frame of reference.

Yah, they could hardly be more different. HiLoTrons are the hi-fi sound of crystalline glassy clarity. DynaSonics crack and whip and kerranggg with a lurid gurgle unique to them. HiLoTrons dance sweetly and in formation like ballerinas. Dynas show up ready for an orgy.

Thank you all so much for the clarification and thank you Geoffrey for the lovely blues.

The HiLo's sound like they would make a fine addition to what I already have.

Geoffrey, that's a great demonstration of how the real ones sound! They have an almost acoustic quality.

I can hear how sweet they sound but I also understand they work equally well with overdriven amps and pedals, correct?

They do. Always articulate. They don't push pedals or amps as early or as much as hotter pickups - but that's why pedals and amps have knobs. You can always compensate, and are still rewarded with articulate, "clean" dirt.

Yah, they could hardly be more different. HiLoTrons are the hi-fi sound of crystalline glassy clarity. DynaSonics crack and whip and kerranggg with a lurid gurgle unique to them. HiLoTrons dance sweetly and in formation like ballerinas. Dynas show up ready for an orgy.

– Proteus

This is the definition of the difference between HiLos and Dynas.

This is the definition of the difference between HiLos and Dynas.

– lx

;)

I have an origional Gretsch Silver Anniversary, early 1960"s. It was a Single Anny model when I bought it from a friend, and does not have the Bigsby. I love the sound of Two pickups together, so I decided to purchase two Filtertron pickups. Everything on the guitar is origional except the pups. Same color as the one shown in your picture, has a darker green on the back, sides, and neck. Best father's day present I have ever gotten. Love the Gretsch sound. I will never part with it.

I found a used G6118T-60 Vintage Select Edition ‘60 Anniv. on Reverb that is in "excellent" but closer to "mint" cond. my accepted offer was nearly 800.00 less than a brand new one and so I have a new Annie on the way.

Thank you for all your help.

Proteus - Which Tru-Arc would you recommend for this guitar?

For Alt-Country / rock / Beatles- Stones, etc.

Thx.

Let me do some testing on my HiLo Tenny and I'll get back to you on that.

Nice one. Sounds like a steal!

– Tsar Nicholas

Thanks, I hope so.

The seller says it hasn’t even really been played at all. He is hesitant to say “mint”’ but tells me, it’s just like new. If so, yes, a good deal.

I can hear how sweet they sound but I also understand they work equally well with overdriven amps and pedals, correct?

– BirdsNBats

I used to use my '63 Tenny in a s* punk band and I could get nice distortion with a clean-boost Tubescreamer going into a Classic 50 on the lead channel. I can't really describe the sound, it wasn't exactly like anything else (and that wasn't necessarily a good thing). You'll need to do some more knob-fiddlin' to get where you want to go, but no real barrier to you getting your sound, either.

While we are at it might as well post a vid of a closed top Gretsch, a 6119 with HiloTrons to hear even though you bought the Annie already. Here is Geoff comparing a vintage to a new one.

They sound really nice! I think the vintage Tenny pickups actually sounded nicer than the re-issue, not as thin. That closed top really resonates.

It will be interesting to hear what Tom's HT's sound like on the Annie.

Register Sign in to join the conversation