Modern Gretsch Guitars

G5622T

@windsordave- 5622's have fixed post bridges, not floating bases.

To be honest I am considering a Tru-Arc and a Compton. I will see after they both inform me as to what material/design/price works best for me. Price being the least important fact.

I thank everybody for the excellent information and advice. It is always best to talk to those who really have great knowledge and experience first.

This appears to be a very knowledgeable and excellent forum for Gretsch guitars. I am very glad I joined.

I have the first generation also. It has proven to be a very versatile Gretsch. No changes done just yet, but I'm always thinking about that Tru-Arc bridge, probably in brass.

I have the three pickup version in ebony and a fine thing it is.

I bought the solid brass bridge from Wayne Compton

After some e-mailing back and forth which was a good experience working with Wayne. He felt this one would suit my needs. Wayne felt he had pretty much exactly the bridge for the tone I am after. Now I realize that it's not going to be a "world beater" change but I think my ears can still hear minor changes. It was a tough decision between the Tru-Arc or the Compton. Both appear to be excellent options. I really liked the look of the compensated Compton. If the Compton doesn't due the trick I will give the Tru-Arc a try.

this is the one I bought.

I thank all of you for the suggestion on a better bridge than the stock cheap adjust-o-matic one that is on there.

I love this G5622T Gretsch.

I am willing to spend most any money on worthwhile improvements.

Some sweet guitars there, G Man. Congrats on the 5622t!

I had my eye on the Georgia Green model, then I saw the earlier gen with 3 pups and the cats eye sound holes.

At that point the color didn't matter so much, I just wanted to find one. They're still out there.

Some sweet guitars there, G Man. Congrats on the 5622t!

I had my eye on the Georgia Green model, then I saw the earlier gen with 3 pups and the cats eye sound holes.

At that point the color didn't matter so much, I just wanted to find one. They're still out there.

– Edison

I love the gen-1 with the three pickup config and the cat's eyes (mainly the cat's eyes), but the gen-2 that I have is substantially lighter and more comfortable to gig with.

The Bigsby was a bit of a hassle trying to re string it. G Man 1964

Welcome aboard G Man, I like your new guitar, and all the others too. You have great taste!

Restringing a guitar equipped with a Bigsby can be made to be much easier, if you shove a foam wedge into the rear of Bigsby to hold the strings in place while changing them. I bought a 'Gretsch String Buddy', which is a foam wedge cut to fit perfectly, but you can also make one yourself out of a piece of spongy foam. I think I paid $6 for my String Buddy, I only bought it because it had 'Gretsch' reverse embossed on it, and it looks cool!

Anyway, I'm glad you found us, and figured out how to post pictures. I think that a lot of us are in your age group, 'well seasoned players'. It's a great place to hang out, I'm still a comparative newbie, and it's kept my interest for the past three years. What keeps me here is the huge variety of topics that we discuss. Of course we are a Gretsch centered community, but we've got a lot to say about everything else under the sun as well!

Congratulations, G Man, and welcome aboard. Nice find. The others in your stable are nice too!

Thanks to all you guys for the welcome. I appreciate it. I could put up pictures of a lot more guitars of mine but I don't want to bore you all with that. Last count I had 86 on hand but I sold a few maybe 15 or so recently because they should be in the hands of players who will use them. I can't possibly play the 60 some or so I have left now. Just collected them over the years. At the end of the day they were just tools of the trade for the most part, like a good tool box with plenty of different wrenches.

If you guys want I can pick a couple photos of my collection before the selling off of some.

Wade thanks. I like it a lot too. Even though I have some guitars that cost way more than this Gretsch I have never rated or valued any of them by price. I have had imported guitars that played and sounded considerably better than some that cost 10 times what they did. It has always been for me, if I sit down with any guitar and I can bond with it quickly, then that's the one for me. Fortunately in some ways being single for the better part of 40 years I have been able to afford just about what ever guitars I wanted so having a major case of GAS that is how I built my collection. Just a little guitar history on me.

Wade I will be 70 in a couple days so I know I'm not the oldest here but I am starting to get up there LOL !!

I really like 3 pickup guitars. My only issue with them is I usually have my right hand where the middle pickup is and that seems to get in my way sometimes when I am fingerpicking. I use that space between the neck and bridge to rest my fingers at times. Other than that I love having that middle pickups option

Thanks to all you guys for the welcome. I appreciate it. I could put up pictures of a lot more guitars of mine but I don't want to bore you all with that. Last count I had 86 on hand but I sold a few maybe 15 or so recently because they should be in the hands of players who will use them. I can't possibly play the 60 some or so I have left now. Just collected them over the years. At the end of the day they were just tools of the trade for the most part, like a good tool box with plenty of different wrenches.

If you guys want I can pick a couple photos of my collection before the selling off of some.

– G Man 1964

I didn't even know that the state of West Virginia allowed you to own 86 guitars with out some sort of permit...

Welcome, G Man.

LOL That's funny !!!! They probably don't so shhhh don't tell on me (

this is the green room off of my recording studio I can't get all of them in one picture

I apologize I am getting off topic here

Now straight up, at the moment this is my absolute favorite because 1) it's so comfortable to hold 2) the neck is to die for at least to my hands 3) these Broadtron pickups are very toneful and unique in the way they sound. 4) I can cover a lot of material with this one guitar

Oh yea... and it's so pretty too

My Man !!! Downtown Big Boy Brown

The Bigsby was a bit of a hassle trying to re string it. G Man 1964

Welcome aboard G Man, I like your new guitar, and all the others too. You have great taste!

Restringing a guitar equipped with a Bigsby can be made to be much easier, if you shove a foam wedge into the rear of Bigsby to hold the strings in place while changing them. I bought a 'Gretsch String Buddy', which is a foam wedge cut to fit perfectly, but you can also make one yourself out of a piece of spongy foam. I think I paid $6 for my String Buddy, I only bought it because it had 'Gretsch' reverse embossed on it, and it looks cool!

Anyway, I'm glad you found us, and figured out how to post pictures. I think that a lot of us are in your age group, 'well seasoned players'. It's a great place to hang out, I'm still a comparative newbie, and it's kept my interest for the past three years. What keeps me here is the huge variety of topics that we discuss. Of course we are a Gretsch centered community, but we've got a lot to say about everything else under the sun as well!

– Wade H

Wade thanks for the heads up on that string buddy foam wedge . I just checked it out on e-bay and It is selling for like 11.00 I am going to have go and get myself one of those things because I like to change my strings every couple of weeks and I can see how that would be very helpful. I used a capo on the neck to hold the strings in place one at a time for years on my other Bigsby equipped guitars

I have the three pickup version in ebony and a fine thing it is.

– Dave_K

You are so correct Dave !!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a killer looking Gretsch

Nice green room.

Heck, you may end up selling most of your gear off, if you get used to Gretsch.

Downtown Big Boy Brown is a very fitting name.

I installed the solid brass Compton bridge today and I have to admit he listened to exactly what the tone was that I was looking for and he delivered in ACES !!!!!

Damn is all I can say.

Suprdave.... I love this Gretsch and I have bonded with it like none of my others and believe me that's saying something. WHY did I wait all these years to finally buy a Gretsch ????? " Stupid is as stupid does " as Forest Gump said

Your right, I may just have a huge clearance sale very soon.

I gave away a bunch of them to talented young artists that didn't have the money to buy a top level instrument. I mean I can't play them all, and it is money already spent so why not ?

Truth is my health is not that good anymore and so if I meet what I believe is a very talented guitarist and they are down on their luck financially then I will at times just give them the pick of the litter so to speak. I keep the ones I can't part with in a separate room so it's the green room I let them graze in till they find something that speaks to them. I mean someone who will play and cherish a really good instrument should have one and I can't take them with me for sure.

I have to say this. For more years then I care to remember I have played a Gibson ES335 and 345. Excellent instruments for sure. I am partial to semi-hollow body guitars because they are for me very comfortable either sitting down or standing but most importantly they cover a lot of styles without having to change guitars.

This Gretsch 5622T for a guitar that cost so little, being a pacific rim built instrument, it has and I have bonded with it like "love at first sight ". I don't really know why, it's too many things to put in words but the way it pulls the musical expression out of me so easily, the way it produces the tone I need for the song I'm playing that just "sucked me in". Like if I set it down I immediately have to pick it back up. Since it's the first Gretsch I've played maybe I just got lucky and got a special one or if they all produce that effect then I have been very stupid for too many years. As for this one of mine, I wouldn't care if some guy who never made a guitar in his life in his garage made it, I would still feel the same about "Downtown Big Boy Brown" no matter who's name was on the headstock.

If that's called "Gretsch Love" then I'm in deep and over my head

That's my story and I'm sticking to it (

Register Sign in to join the conversation