Modern Gretsch Guitars

G5438T Truss Rod Question

New to the forum! I purchased a Gretsch G5438T last year. I have noodled around around on it but haven't done much with it. I went to change strings and make a few adjustments on it and when I took the truss rod cover off the nut had a collar or driver stuck on the nut. I also noticed the truss rod cover had a bow in it due to not being able to sit flush on the headstock. There's no possible way to adjust the truss rod with this thing on it. Anyone every seen something like this?

Addendum...I also emailed Gretsch about this. Waiting to hear back.

Oh, that's just wrong. Did you buy this new?

Yep. Relief was good when I bought it so I never touched the truss rod. Discovered this when I went to do a string change.

My guess is that somebody at Gretsch was making an adjustment with whatever that thing is, and somehow left it there. Just a guess.

My guess is that somebody at Gretsch was making an adjustment with whatever that thing is, and somehow left it there. Just a guess.

– stratman

Looks like a socket of some kind. See if it comes off.

If you bought this new, I'm guessing Gretsch will have you take it to one of their nearest authorized techs to deal with it. You shouldn't have to. If it isn't popping off easily, don't force it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation