Modern Gretsch Guitars

G5420 replacement locking tuners?

Hi, would any of you happen to know if there is a set of suitable locking tuners available for the G5420T where the screw holes line up correctly?

I put locking tuners on nearly every guitar I own. I normally get them from a supplier in UK at a good price (non branded but extremely stable) . I can use the ones I normally install but the old screw holes will be seen and I will have to drill new ones but that is no big deal. Sometimes the holes for the shafts have to be increased but I have tools for that job also but if I could get a set of tuners that are a straight swap it would be best.

So, are there direct replacement locking tuners available that line up on the G5420T?

Thanks, Eugene.

I put a set of (German) Kluson Backlock tuners on my G5230T. They're a straight swap, they feel like good Grovers and they match the knobs very well.

I put a set of (German) Kluson Backlock tuners on my G5230T. They're a straight swap, they feel like good Grovers and they match the knobs very well.

– Gerry Ratrod

These? https://www.thomann.de/ie/k...

– Gerry Ratrod

Do they add much additional weight to the headstock?

Yes, those are the ones. I have them with the Schaller style buttons (Thomann doesn't seem to have those). They're heavier than the stock ones but they're not as big and heavy as the pics suggest. There's no noticable weight imbalance caused by these.

Thanks all for your views and help

I used ratio tuners on my nephew’s 5420. Had to open the holes slightly with a reamer but nothing major. Took about an hour for the swap to locking tuners. I saw a video about Hipshot tuners that require no mods at all. Was interested but couldn’t find any locally.

good luck

I used ratio tuners on my nephew’s 5420. Had to open the holes slightly with a reamer but nothing major. Took about an hour for the swap to locking tuners. I saw a video about Hipshot tuners that require no mods at all. Was interested but couldn’t find any locally.

good luck

– RickTennesseRose

The Hipshot ones seem to be hard enough to get in EU. One store in UK has them but there complications now on how vat charged as they out of EU now. A manager who runs a store I purchased a lot of guitars from in Scotland told me in future they do not charge me vat but that the customs on our end would meaning I would have to pay on delivery or something which is bloody messy to say the least!

This is a half way through shot with the Ratio tuners installed. You can see the difference with the originals.

rick

This is a half way through shot with the Ratio tuners installed. You can see the difference with the originals.

rick

Register Sign in to join the conversation