Modern Gretsch Guitars

G3140 Pick-up Authentication

Wow - you have a great forum here. I just registered and hope to be purchasing my first Gretsch soon!

I am considering a G3140, s/n 00059026 (no preceding alpha). It is unknown to the dealer whether its Korean or Japanese made, and they seem to think it's a 1999.

I have looked at many 1999 and 2000's, and they all have two Dynasonic pickups. This one has a Dynasonic and a Filter'tron, see pic.

I have two question please: Are there stock G3140's configured this way or is the Filter'tron a modification?

Does the pick-up arrangement or s/n confirm its year of manufacture? from Gretsch Pages, it looks like it may be 2000 since s/n starts with 0. Thank you!

I have a 3140 myself. I think it's Korean made. The Filtertron is a modification. The other pickup is stock--- Fender made DeArmond 2000, not a Dynasonic. Everything sounds better with Cats Eyes. The Historic line may be Gretsch's best kept secret---great guitars at a great price. Enjoy!

I have a 3140 myself. I think it's Korean made. The Filtertron is a modification. The other pickup is stock--- Fender made DeArmond 2000, not a Dynasonic. Everything sounds better with Cats Eyes. The Historic line may be Gretsch's best kept secret---great guitars at a great price. Enjoy!

– wabash slim

Nailed it . Korean build w/ 2 DeArmond 2000 pickups is the standard configuration.

The 3140 is my first Gretsch purchase. It's a great guitar.

I also began my Gretsch affliction with a 3140. Only bad thing to say about is that it is a little heavy. By far my favorite of my five guitars. In all the years I have been hanging around here, I’ve never seen one with that configuration so I’m guessing it was modded. My understanding is that they were made by Peerless in Korea. I thought the catalog was on here at one point, but it may have disappeared during the Great Meltdown.

The only drawbacks to a 3140 are the weight (mine's 10#) and the lack of a master volume. By the way, an EPI 335 case fits it perfectly.

Thank you everyone! Your feedback helps and is appreciated.

Register Sign in to join the conversation