Modern Gretsch Guitars

G2420 TRUSSROD HELP

Just got the g2420 Saturday. needs to be set up....but it does not come with a trussrod wrench. I tried a 5/16 socket but it was too big to even get to the nut. Cant seem to find the right info as to nut size and what type of wrench. Looked in the hole and there is almost NO room around the nut. Any help would be appreciated. General Coulter

You won't need a socket, you'll need an Allen wrench. Not sure of which size offhand, but a few minutes with a set of Allen wrenches and you should be able figure it out. Usually they come with the Allen key needed for the truss rod. I have yet to receive a guitar that didn't.

If it is in fact a 1/4" socket that you need and not an Allen wrench, you can use one of those screwdrivers with the reversible tips (very common Phillips/flat head deal). Without a tip, they are a very narrow way to have a 1/4" socket with good reach. I've had to use it in the past for a truss rod myself.

I looked at it (half assed) it kinda looked like a round hole. but I will fiddle with it when I get home. I had googled a you tube video on this guitar and they used a socket. But an Allen wrench makes more sense.

If it is in fact a 1/4" socket that you need and not an Allen wrench, you can use one of those screwdrivers with the reversible tips (very common Phillips/flat head deal). Without a tip, they are a very narrow way to have a 1/4" socket with good reach. I've had to use it in the past for a truss rod myself.

– Cirecc

Thanks. I didnt see no way a 5/16 would go in there.

Yeah, if you see a hole, it's most likely the 4mm that slim mentioned.

Register Sign in to join the conversation