Modern Gretsch Guitars

G cutout tailpiece

Does anyone know if the G-cutout tailpiece will match up with the holes for a B3 (?) Bigsby? I have a 53 VS jet and am kind of considering putting one on if I dont have to drill

You're going to have to drill, I'm afraid.

You'd have to drill new holes in either the guitar or the tailpiece. I would probably just drill the guitar. If you ever go back to the Bigsby, any holes would be covered up anyway.

Trade ya the Bigsby for a "G" tail......

Arent there two different ones? A smooth one that would be on a proline and the one with ridges that would come on an electromatic?

Arent there two different ones? A smooth one that would be on a proline and the one with ridges that would come on an electromatic?

– Chmason85

I could be wrong but the smooth version is only found on vintage varieties. The Pro and Electro versions are both ridged.

I could be wrong but the smooth version is only found on vintage varieties. The Pro and Electro versions are both ridged.

– BorderRadio

Are they the same thing nowadays? I remember the shitty, flaking ridged one on my pre-fmic electromatic jet and definitely do not want one of those on my VS

Trade ya the Bigsby for a "G" tail......

– hilosean

You have pics?

– BorderRadio

The smooth/fluted ones are also used by the Custom Shop. There are a handful of vintage-correct parts now used only by the Custom Shop.

The smooth/fluted ones are also used by the Custom Shop. There are a handful of vintage-correct parts now used only by the Custom Shop.

– Afire

Can these be purchased anywhere?

Can these be purchased anywhere?

– Chmason85

I've never tried myself, but have heard others say that the answer is "no." Which isn't surprising. If they're going the extra mile for the Custom Shop guitars, then they probably want to keep those parts exclusive to the more expensive guitars. But somebody somewhere has replaced one with a Bigsby, so keep an eye on eBay. Vintage ones don't bring much money, so that's also an option. I've sold a couple and I don't think I ever got more than $75 or so. But the Jet sized ones don't come up as often as the larger ones.

You have pics?

– Chmason85

Sorry, Missed this. I'll send you some photos to see if I have what you're looking for.

Register Sign in to join the conversation