Modern Gretsch Guitars

FS: Gold Sparkle Top White Penguin

This masterbuilt custom is up on Reverb, I imagine others have seen it.

It's pretty hard to miss.

I'm not much on gold hardware or finishes, but great googly-moogly this is a stunner.

For optimal effect, to be played while wearing an Elvis gold lame' Nudie suit.

Link

Nice, I’ve been jonesing for a gold top guitar lately. Something so appealing about them! I’m not sure I like it with a white headstock? But it sure is purdy!

I'm with you, Hipbone. I dig gold guitars and I love Penguins, but the headstock throws this guitar 'off' in my opinion. Still a pretty dang cool guitar.

How did a clothier ever get the name "Nudie?"

matching headstock would have been much much better

Agreed, on the matching headstock,i'm not really an fan of the armrest either,but man,that is a glorious lookin' geetar!

Sadly,way past my geet fund though.

I agree with all of the above on the headstock but yes, she is a looker.

His birth name was Nuta Kolyarenko, but I agree, Proteus - it is pretty ironic that a guy famous for designing suits would be named Nudie!

The headstock looks massive here perhaps because of the color contrast. However, it’s still good looking.

Being just a sparkle top, the white headstock doesn't seem quite so out of place when the guitar is viewed at other angles. The ratio of white to gold strikes a beautiful balance.

But it would arguably look even better if the headstock face had the midas touch.

I've Photoshopped the same guitar with a gold sparkle headstock.

Yep Edison, that looks nice! Amazing the transformation of the entire guitar with that headstock magic?

Being just a sparkle top, the white headstock doesn't seem quite so out of place when the guitar is viewed at other angles. The ratio of white to gold strikes a beautiful balance.

But it would arguably look even better if the headstock face had the midas touch.

I've Photoshopped the same guitar with a gold sparkle headstock.

– Edison

That is way better looking. The white background accentuates just how much more orange the sparkle inlays and binding are than the mellow gold top and it seems like a mismatch. Against the gold background, the orangeness provides just the right amount of contrast.

Register Sign in to join the conversation