Modern Gretsch Guitars

First post, New user, just bought a Gretsch Limited Edition G5422TG

Let me first say, I had a gift certificate for $1000 and was determined to get the best quality guitar for my $$$. I always wanted a hollow body to round out my guitar collection (Taylor 114ce Acoustic, Les Paul 2018 Classic Sun Burst with zebra 57' style pickups, and 2019 Sea Green Fender Professional Strat). I did look at getting a Gibson ES-335 (about $500 over my budget) or an Epiphone equivalent, but the Limited Edition G5422TG really caught my eye. For me, and all the Youtube reviews I've gone through, the Gretsch just won me over. I bought the guitar without playing it first. Not what I usually like to do, but it after all the reviews and such, I was pretty convinced I'd be happy with my purchase. And I was. Actually surpassed my expectations with respect to quality in that price range. The only dilemma for me is that it did not come with a case. A first for me. I did some searching around and the only case that was recommended was the G6214FT, which got some pretty terrible reviews on Amazon and even on Youtube. I looked around a bit more but finally settled on the Gretsch G6214 Deluxe case. for the extra $40, it is well worth the cost. My G5422TG fits nicely. However, and I know this was also an issue with the G6214FT, is that the depth of the case does is a little more than the actual guitar. I wonder if there are any other Gretsch G5422TG owners who recommend adding some padding under the neck to compensate for the space?

I can't offer any advice on the hardshell case, but that's a great looking model with an excellent set of specs. Enjoy!

Welcome to our addiction. You'll likely end up with more than one.

Was this an online purchase? If so, I would recommend reaching out to the seller, if they were a reputable Gretsch dealer. If not contact one of the sponsors on the right side of the screen. They are very well versed on all things Gretsch. Once they win you over, you'll likely purchase another Gretsch someday from them. Most of us here have.

Joel at Shanghai helped me with a nice G5191BK and a perfect fit case.

Welcome! That's a beautiful axe!

Welcome to all things Gretsch! Nice start to your Gretsch collection. Collections tend to begin from a first purchase.

Welcome to the GDP, stulevine, that's a pretty guitar! I bought a G6241 Deluxe Hardshell Case for my 2018, G5422TG too. This case fits my G5422TG like a glove. Is there something different about the "Special Edition", compared with the regular G5422TG? If you are worried that the depth of the body is a bit lower than the sides of the case, the height of the arched top keeps the guitar snugly in the case. In fact the strings will leave a slight depression in the top lids felt. Make sure that you point the handle of the Bigsby towards the tail end of the guitar, before closing the lid of the case, this will keep the Bigsby from being depressed while the guitar is inside of case with the lid closed.

Great color stulevine. Congrats and welcome.

Congratulations!

When I had a 5120 I purchased a regular Dreadnought sized acoustic guitar case and it fit fine.

Hi Wade,

Thanks for the info. No difference in models except for a few esthetic things like gold plated hardware and the Blue Sparkle finish. Good to know my worries can be quelled. And good tip on the Bigsby bar. Thanks! The case is really nice and very similar to the Gibson provided case for my Les Paul. Even smells the same :)

Just got a set of D'Addario Chromes ECG23 Flat Wound .10 - .48 strings. I love using flat wounds for that warm jazzy tone. Update: Just put them on. Really awesome. very silky. My Gretsch came with .11 - .49s. These new ones provide a little less tension so the Bigsby bar is a bit higher than with the 11s. Not a big deal and it actually provides a little more travel, which in some ways is nice. I haven't seen any differences in keeping the guitar in tune either.

Just got a set of D'Addario Chromes ECG23 Flat Wound .10 - .48 strings. I love using flat wounds for that warm jazzy tone. Update: Just put them on. Really awesome. very silky. My Gretsch came with .11 - .49s. These new ones provide a little less tension so the Bigsby bar is a bit higher than with the 11s. Not a big deal and it actually provides a little more travel, which in some ways is nice. I haven't seen any differences in keeping the guitar in tune either.

– stulevine

Stulevine, I just did a comparison. You're right about the specs being the same (other than the color and fretboard markers), between the two guitars. Gretsch will sometimes do special runs of colors, and perhaps other appointments, that aren't available on the standard model. That beautiful Midnight Sapphire blue is not a standard color, and the standard model has Humpblock fretboard markers (a throwback to some vintage markers). The rest of the specs appear to be the same. Yours is quite stunning in appearance, I sneeked a peek at the picture you posted on the Data Base. The T and G letters, after the model number 5422, are used to designate T=Tremalo (vibrato) and G=Gold plated hardware. The first G always = Gretsch (of course) :)

I use 10 - 46 Elixir roundwound strings on my 5422, for the smooth feel without the scratchy sounds between position changes. I have extraordinarily stable tuning on this guitar. The stock gold plated spring on my 5422's Bigsby is pretty stiff. In fact, I can even go to drop D tuning, between songs, without the need to retune the rest of the strings. The same can be said about a broken string, there is only a barely perceived detuning of the guitar after a string breaks. I think that many of us are familiar with the disastrous effect a broken string has on a Stratocaster, or a guitar equipped with a Floyd Rose vibrato. I can also do full step string bends, with only the slightest perception of detuning on the other strings (which is a huge positive for me, since I play a lot of blues).

A lot of people install a Reverend Soft Spring, for a much lighter touch on the Bigsby. I've avoided doing this because it causes the guitar to detune when the aforementioned events occure. I just got used to the feel of the stock spring and, for me, it's a non-issue.

I'm tempted to try out a set of flatwounds, and see how I like them. A lot of people here use them, with great success. I've heard that La Bella flatwounds have less tension and more flexibility than D'Addario Chromes. I have Chromes on my Fender Precision Bass, and they're pretty stiff. Have you compared the two brands on the guitar? I've heard good things about DR flatwounds as well, have you ever tried those?

Register Sign in to join the conversation