Modern Gretsch Guitars

Finally took some pics of my orange “jet” ;)

Hello all, I remembered how I hadn't shared this guitar with the forum and while thinking about it, it's probably fairly rare seeing as there is no entry for it in the site's catalog of Gretsch guitars. So just to let the world know that at least 2 of these these exist I thought I'd share

According to the birth certificate, this would be cataloged as a G6121-57 CS.

I believe this to be a 1 piece back.

The obligatory horseshoe:

.and finally a full shot. I know we have a particular 6121 fan amongst us, can you spot the most egregious item that's not to 57 spec other than the bridge?

That sure is puuuurty...! Nice!

RE: ..."can you spot the most egregious item that's not to 57 spec other than the bridge?"

My guess is the hump back fret markers. I thought guitars from those days had block markers...

GORGEOUS guitar by the way.... CONGRATULATIONS!!

That swivel spoon handle didn't exist back then. But they sure look cool.

What lx said. Very nice. Congrats

Haha thank you all for the kind words. I'm not a bigsby expert but I had a feeling someone would point out the details of that part! I'll have to look into what the correct handle would have been. I like this one so I wouldn't replace it but it's fun trivia to know.

@senojnad, actually in the years between Chet wanting his guitars de-westernized and the neoclassical boards, they did the humpblock inlay on '57 6121's. I think the G brand was absent in '56 but they still had the cowboy (or were they plain?) block inlay and steers head on the headstock of those.

There's actually ONE other out of spec item I was speaking of! I'll give this thread a little more time to accrue guesses or an answer.

Metal nut?

– r0de0

Yup you got it! It should have a brass nut. Maybe someday I'll entertain the idea to replace it. I've not owned a guitar with a brass nut before.

Yup you got it! It should have a brass nut. Maybe someday I'll entertain the idea to replace it. I've not owned a guitar with a brass nut before.

– Muinarc

Good catch! I think there are still a couple of brass nuts from the Duane Eddy models available; I've got to get one...or two. Chet Jets are just the coolest. IIRC there was one that had cowboy engravings on a humped block neck. I can never decide which is cooler: leather trim or double body binding; cowboy tailpiece or Bigsby. Then there was a beat up '57 I ran across with that dark orange stain. Could you put all of that on one Jet? Ooohhh.

I have a Brass nut on my Eddie Cochran, but bone on my 6121:

That's a sweet guitar. Great choice.

Good catch! I think there are still a couple of brass nuts from the Duane Eddy models available; I've got to get one...or two. Chet Jets are just the coolest. IIRC there was one that had cowboy engravings on a humped block neck. I can never decide which is cooler: leather trim or double body binding; cowboy tailpiece or Bigsby. Then there was a beat up '57 I ran across with that dark orange stain. Could you put all of that on one Jet? Ooohhh.

– lx

I know I had the same problem! I wanted a double bound dyna jet and I am not a big fan of the leather. There is a (I believe) 2003 6121 on reverb that has the small headstock, but still rounded back cover of a pre FMIC jet. It is sans-leather but still has all the other western accoutrements of a '55 6121. I made him an offer, he declined it then raised the price by almost $1,000(?!). I'm wondering if that's one of those weird people that create unrealistic listings to show-off their beloved instruments to the world.

Had I ordered this guitar and not bought it used, I would have liked the western block inlay, no G brand, no leather, but probably an ebony board.... I'm weird like that . So really the only concession I made to my "dream" guitar is the rosewood hump block board but I like them too so it all works out.

I actually would like to see your idea of double bound PLUS leather trim in an nice aged dark orange. How about you order it up and share with us when you get it?! Haha.

One other interesting thing about this CS guitar is how light it is. I've looked at the weights listed at Wildwood and it seems even accounting for the extra weight of a Penguin headstock that this is lighter than customary. It's half a pound lighter than my DC Jet and even my Telecaster that has a 4lb body. It is a keeper for sure.

I know I had the same problem! I wanted a double bound dyna jet and I am not a big fan of the leather. There is a (I believe) 2003 6121 on reverb that has the small headstock, but still rounded back cover of a pre FMIC jet. It is sans-leather but still has all the other western accoutrements of a '55 6121. I made him an offer, he declined it then raised the price by almost $1,000(?!). I'm wondering if that's one of those weird people that create unrealistic listings to show-off their beloved instruments to the world.

Had I ordered this guitar and not bought it used, I would have liked the western block inlay, no G brand, no leather, but probably an ebony board.... I'm weird like that . So really the only concession I made to my "dream" guitar is the rosewood hump block board but I like them too so it all works out.

I actually would like to see your idea of double bound PLUS leather trim in an nice aged dark orange. How about you order it up and share with us when you get it?! Haha.

One other interesting thing about this CS guitar is how light it is. I've looked at the weights listed at Wildwood and it seems even accounting for the extra weight of a Penguin headstock that this is lighter than customary. It's half a pound lighter than my DC Jet and even my Telecaster that has a 4lb body. It is a keeper for sure.

– Muinarc

It was exactly one of the FMIC ChetJet/Roundups that got me into the Jet Club. It was light, had Dynas and I remember thinking that if it had leather sides it would be a perfect re-creation. And more than anything else it was fun. But not cheap. I figured that maybe I could find a beater/project I might be happy. And that's what I ended up doing, finding the perfect neck '57.

Wow, it's a great day for orange Jets. I might have to get my Roundup out and give it some attention. Congrats on this one, it's a beauty!

Wow, it's a great day for orange Jets. I might have to get my Roundup out and give it some attention. Congrats on this one, it's a beauty!

– giffenf

Thanks! Let's change that "might" into an "I did" !!

That's a beauty,congrats!

Register Sign in to join the conversation