Modern Gretsch Guitars

Finally, I have a dumb@$$ attack that pays off.

Ok, so at the last Nyshe-vull Roundup, the lovely and talented Joe C. brought a 000 acoustic from the Roots Collection. I’d been on an ongoing hunt for a cowboy box that would sound like I want “on tape” right in the room and dammit if that wasn’t it. So I order one (or so I thought) from Sweetwater right there.

Turns out I didn’t pay close enough attention and it wasn’t until it showed up that I realized I’d ordered a style O parlor dealio. [insert drummer joke here] Durn-near a uke with a thyroid problem. (I did get a 000 later from Rocky at Street Sounds. What a great little guitar.)

BUT!!!!.......

It dawned on me yesterday that lo’ those many moons ago when I was working in the studios on the aforementioned Third Coast, a few studio guitar guys were using old Martin parlors with Nashville tuning for cutting a-cue-stick tracks.

Grabbed an acoustic 12-string set of strings, ditched the bigger 6, strung up her diminutive self, and EXCELSIOR!!!!!!

I love it when I’m not as dumb as I am.

That is all.

Do you have any recordings of that? Even just a quick sample. I have always been curious how that sounds, but not curious enough to burn a 12-string set of strings.

Gimme a little time to finally figger out how to upload and I’ll see what I can do for ya, bud.

For as often as one will hear Nashville Tuning on a recording, one rarely sees someone actually playing a Nashville strung git.

I walked into a shop when in Charleston, SC...they had just brought in a dozen "Made for Nashville Tuning" gits.

I figured it to be the Nashville Tuning Capital of the USA!

For as often as one will hear Nashville Tuning on a recording, one rarely sees someone actually playing a Nashville strung git.

I walked into a shop when in Charleston, SC...they had just brought in a dozen "Made for Nashville Tuning" gits.

I figured it to be the Nashville Tuning Capital of the USA!

– Twangmeisternyc

Yeah man, I couldn’t imagine Nashville tuning being a viable live proposition, especially factoring in the “fizz” of transducers. Probably drill a hole in one’s head.

I've always got a set of these on a Dano. Add a bit of jangle to your life.

I've always got a set of these on a Dano. Add a bit of jangle to your life.

– Mr Tubs

AHA!!!!!!

Thank ya sir!

Screwed up in reverse!

Gotta love it when things work out.

here's a video that goes over it briefly, then lets you hear it, then lets you hear it layered in a full mix so you get why people do it. fast forward to about 6:15 or so.

glad to hear your new guitars are working out. the little guys are pretty neat once you figure them out.

Don't get your hopes up. It will come back.

Don't get your hopes up. It will come back.

– Proteus

I know enough never to take the little triumphs for granted. Thanx fer noticin’.

Well, I mean. Enjoy them in their moment, certainly! Extract every juicy drop of joy and satisfaction from them that you can.

Ok, so at the last Nyshe-vull Roundup, the lovely and talented Joe C. brought a 000 acoustic from the Roots Collection. I’d been on an ongoing hunt for a cowboy box that would sound like I want “on tape” right in the room and dammit if that wasn’t it. So I order one (or so I thought) from Sweetwater right there.

Turns out I didn’t pay close enough attention and it wasn’t until it showed up that I realized I’d ordered a style O parlor dealio. [insert drummer joke here] Durn-near a uke with a thyroid problem. (I did get a 000 later from Rocky at Street Sounds. What a great little guitar.)

BUT!!!!.......

It dawned on me yesterday that lo’ those many moons ago when I was working in the studios on the aforementioned Third Coast, a few studio guitar guys were using old Martin parlors with Nashville tuning for cutting a-cue-stick tracks.

Grabbed an acoustic 12-string set of strings, ditched the bigger 6, strung up her diminutive self, and EXCELSIOR!!!!!!

That is all.

– tubwompus

I bought the OO parlor. What a great guitar. It was pretty sweet, then i had her set up frets dressed. A great guitar. Bought a rancher junior hard shell case. In acoustic heaven.

Only the Roots Collection doesn't CALL them 0, 00, 000, do it? They're, what, Style 1, 2, 3? Or A, B, C?

I have a Style 2, with the slotted headstock. Is that the 00 parlor you refer to, George? I liked it as soon as I got it, but thought it would benefit from the perfect set of strings - big enough to fatten it up a bit (without compromising the intimate balance of its tone), low-tension enough to facilitate the more intricate finger-pickin' the smaller size and 25" scale convince me I might attempt.

I tried Silk & Steel, I tried this and that. Stumbled into Thomastic Spectrums and Plectrums, both with silk inlay. The bronze Spectrums ("full warm tone, with sparkling clarity" according to the label) weren't it. Plectrums, however, are IT on this guitar. Pack tells me the A, D, & G are polished bronze flatwound, the low E is polished bronze roundwound. "Soft-sounding strings with low tension on the bottom end," the pack says.

However the magic happens, it brought that guitar to just what I'd imagined in my mind's ear. It's a sweetheart.

Irrespective of their possible twinkle twankle Nashville layering possibilities, the Roots Acoustics are delightful instruments.

A parlor, orchestra, or other smaller acoustic really aren't the wimpy wallflower instruments damnable dreadnaughts would have you believe. They have their own voices, and can project surprisingly well. Everyone (who doesn't already have it) needs at least one. Short of real-deal Martins and other luxury-priced brands, I think Gretsch has it covered. I like the Gretschs better than the offerings I've played from obvious competitors in the range like Blueridge and Recording King.

They're winners, is all I'm saying.

I fell in love online. It’s a real sweetheart for sure. Didn’t hesitate to get a sweet Gretsch hard shell case. Love the bass response from the different bridge placement from 14 fret scale dreadnoughts. The setup just took it another level. Thanks for your post, Proteus. I’ll follow you up on your string recommendation!

The one with the slotted headstock is the one at the Roundup and I wound up getting from Street Sounds. The size down from it is the one I strung up Nashville that works so nicely.

i've totally got the hots for that 12-fret OOO. t'would be a perfect travel guitar, i think.

This one Sam, I was playing it last night. Karolyn took it home from Nashville.

just so you have reference.

– Suprdave

Yessir, that she is, alright.

Haven’t had a chance to track with ‘er yet coz I’ve been in the middle of intense-ish rehearsals for a gig in NC with a McCartney tribute band. Takes up most of my time that’s blocked out for music. But I really lucked out in getting the baby one too coz it’s perfect for the dedicated alternate stringing that it’s allocated to in the toolbox.

Hope you guys are doing good.

– Suprdave

Yessir, that she is, alright.

Haven’t had a chance to track with ‘er yet coz I’ve been in the middle of intense-ish rehearsals for a gig in NC with a McCartney tribute band. Takes up most of my time that’s blocked out for music. But I really lucked out in getting the baby one too coz it’s perfect for the dedicated alternate stringing that it’s allocated to in the toolbox.

Hope you guys are doing good.

Register Sign in to join the conversation