Modern Gretsch Guitars

Favorite strings for new Pro Edition Jet (w/Broad’trons)?

Maybe if I adjust the poles on the neck pickup a bit that might help. They are basically all the same height now. Any advice is welcome. Sounds great now but could always sound even better

Maybe if I adjust the poles on the neck pickup a bit that might help. They are basically all the same height now. Any advice is welcome. Sounds great now but could always sound even better

They are set now (uniformly) a bit more than 1/16in. above pickups, 3/16in. below strings.

In other words, would raising the poles increase bass response but decrease definition?

btw, my action and intonation is spot on. It was recently Plek’d and setup.

Be sure to adjust the pickup height as well, not just the poles.

What strings are on there now?

Can't be certain, really. The shop (Gary Brawer in SF) threw a set on for me when they did the setup.

I’ve yet to do any tweaking of my (wife’s) G6228, but raising the poles should increase treble and volume. You may want to lower the pup.

Why don’t you play with both pickups on and roll off a little bit the neck pickup volume to fine tune the amount of bass ?

Naturally I prefer pictures of a guitar before giving advice of any kind! Secondly, I changed the pickups out in my Broadkaster to TV Classics. This pleased my ears greatly. I just ordered a flame top 6228 and will probably do the same thing. Nothing against Broadtrons, but over the years I have gravitated away from Higher output pickups. I visited Tom in September and we did some A/B testing between Classics and Ray Butts (with his test guitar) and the RB’s sounded fantastic! There was only the slightest feedback difference at very high gain settings. Nothing that should scare anyone away. So they may be my next purchase.

Register Sign in to join the conversation