Modern Gretsch Guitars

Falcon’s Bridge Choice

Received my Tru-Arc BR-120 this week. I haven't swapped it in yet, but it looks and feels very robust. Quality craftsmanship via the eye-test. Once it's on, and I've had a few days with it, I'll be better informed to post an opinion; just wanted to say it seems super solid.

Melita bridges are great and shouldn't be a tone sucker. And I've never experienced them causing the G or any string to be dead. The thing I've read about with modern ones is that sometimes the saddle retainer pieces aren't properly bent at perfect 90 degree angles and that can cause problems. Or if the saddles aren't notched properly and cleanly, that will cause problems with any bridge. Obviously Tru-Arcs are great bridges and that has solved your problem. Just putting it out there that it might be premature to write off Melitas.

Melita bridges are great and shouldn't be a tone sucker. And I've never experienced them causing the G or any string to be dead. The thing I've read about with modern ones is that sometimes the saddle retainer pieces aren't properly bent at perfect 90 degree angles and that can cause problems. Or if the saddles aren't notched properly and cleanly, that will cause problems with any bridge. Obviously Tru-Arcs are great bridges and that has solved your problem. Just putting it out there that it might be premature to write off Melitas.

– Afire

I agree with Afire here. Melitas need certain care and feeding to be working at their best. I had no real complaints with mine (and I am lucky to have Joe C work on my guitars) but I did just install a Surpentune to see what I think. I do like it (and the attention to detail is wonderful) but a Melita can be a perfectly good bridge. Lots ‘O songs recorded with them. Here is a picture of it installed. I didn’t need to do anything to the intonation. It was right on.

Hi Fellers, newbie here, but quick question:

I have a pinned bridge on my Player's Edition Black Falcon. Will a Serpentune intonate well on the pinned bridge base with 10s or 11s?

I have the latest version of the ABM2400 roller bridge on there now that is working very well, but I still do want to try a Serpentune sooner or later. Probably in Brass so it matches the gold accouterments of the guitar. Or is there a way to gold plate Aluminum?

IS YOUR HEARING OK?? If anything, Melitas can be too bright...certainly not dull. If you prefer the sound of a Space Control bridge, you were doing something wrong when yo compared them.

– Billy Zoom

Yes, the Melita left the G string with an audible thud when playing with little to no sustain to the note played on that string. The Space Control added some sustain and let the note ring clearly ..... of course, the Tru-Arc has put them both to shame! Believe me when I say that I wanted to like the Melita .... I think it's the BEST LOOKING bridge that you can have on a Gretsch(any model), but if I am getting a thud with a plain G string and no sustain out of it when I play the guitar .... then it has to go!

Replaced my SC w/ the BR-120 yesterday. Love it. A drop of Big Ben’s in each nut slot, a little wiggle to the bridge, and everything sounds, feels, and looks great.

On my previous White Falcon, I had a Tru-Arc brass bar and loved it.

On my present Black Phoenix, which had a tunamatic, I installed a Tru-Arc stainless steel Serpentune. Outstanding bridge.

Either bridge would be a great choice on your Birds. I went with bridge material to match the trim on each guitar. I love the traits of both materials, so yes, I played the vanity factor for overall looks.

Best of luck choosing.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

I want one of those for my new LPB Falcon!!!

I want one of those for my new LPB Falcon!!!

– Steve

That would make your beautiful Bird perfect IMO.

Register Sign in to join the conversation