Modern Gretsch Guitars

Falcon vs Country Club

Love my 2012 G6120, and it’s upgraded wih all the goodies... brass Compton, locking Grover’s, String-Thru Bigsby...and it sounds awesome, no complaint with the guitar itself, it just feels a little small. ( I’m about 6’5” and feel more comfortable with bigger guitars, my acoustics are all super Jumbos,) ANYWAY...dropped into a GC and they had this beautiful brand new blue FALCON... wow! Felt amazing... long scale, big body... intoxicating, and sounded great! But the price tag sobered me right up ! LOL! Like the blue too. So today I started looking at a few things online, and ran across the newer model Country Club in Cadillac Green! Oh baby! LOVE the color, and I like the style of it. Seems to be the same size as the Falcon, just less bling? A little less expensive too! So... what are the real differences between the country club and the falcon?

Basic difference, non bling binding and a non Falcon headstock.

Same body dimensions with a long scale neck.

Each model has some different versions that offer features like fret size and neck radius variations, but basically, the Club is a toned down Falcon.

Lots of love for both models by many.

Clubs are classier falcons. Falcons are flashier clubs.

A lot of whether one works better has to do with the visual æsthetic and style of the player. Maff Ashman took my breath away with his Falcon. I've never hankered for one myself though. The Club vibe works better for me.

To me, I want a maple ply top and an ebony fingerboard - snappy and bright is what I’m after.

Like Strummerson said, flashy vs. classy. I'm not a sparkly kind of guy, and I like Caddy green.

To me, I want a maple ply top and an ebony fingerboard - snappy and bright is what I’m after.

– hellbilly

That Bird of yours delivers that in spades.

Glad that you're working it hard.

Excellent feedback! Thanks guys! So, I’m looking for a Caddy Green Country Club! All things being equal, I prefer not having the sparkle binding, don’t care about the headstock shape, and definitely love the gold and green... and, of course, the Bigsby! What year did they start the modern G6196T-59? Maybe looking at used to save $$ and wanting to know what years to narrow my search to. Not looking for old vintage, looking for the modern version.

Or... maybe someone here bought one and discovered it’s too big for them and would rather have a 6120!!!

Steve, do you have an opinion on Dynasonics vs Filter'Trons? A Club with Filters has much more in common with a Filter'Tron Falcon than it has with a Dynasonic Club. The pickups make all the difference.

I mention it because if you're looking at modern Gretschs, the Dyna Club is (disgracefully) no longer in the product lineup, but you might come across a used one. (It was only dropped in the last couple of years.) And they're great guitars. You should try to know where you stand on the pickup issue before you shop seriously.

For quality, build, tone, playability, overall desirability: any Club from 2003 to the present should be considered as equals.

I'll never part with my Club as long as I can draw breath.

Mine is a 2011 model.

I'll never part with my Club as long as I can draw breath.

Mine is a 2011 model.

– Tartan Phantom

Great pic, and yes you have a winner there.

Great looking Club

Great pic, and yes you have a winner there.

Great looking Club

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

I agree!! The Club is now (and has been) at the top of my Gretsch Bucket List!

Love the Caddy Green..... However a clear spruce top might just make me go for it......

Clubs are what I would call the “Deluxe” Gretsch. Not blingy and dressed just right for any occasion. Classiest girl you can bring to the dance. Quality exudes. I’ve got an 06 Dyna Club with a burst top. Plays great, sounds great, looks great.

I know the differences are mostly cosmetic, but I've compared my 2008 6196TCG to 6136LTV Falcons from the same time period and my CC felt a little more lively compared to the Falcon. Tonally they were similar, but the CC just felt more resonant. Maybe it's all in my head or maybe I simply have a "more resonant than normal" CC.

Clubs are what I would call the “Deluxe” Gretsch. Not blingy and dressed just right for any occasion. Classiest girl you can bring to the dance. Quality exudes. I’ve got an 06 Dyna Club with a burst top. Plays great, sounds great, looks great.

– Zigracer

I'd dance with that "Sunburst lady" of yours all night long... beautiful guitar.

Yeah, Tartan and Zig, having seen them in person, you have 2 of the best Clubs out there.

– Zigracer

While not a fan of burst Zig, I do prefer your tobacco burst over the red/yellow variety. This one really suits the gold hardware making the overall look, very soft & classy.

I'd dance with that "Sunburst lady" of yours all night long... beautiful guitar.

– Tartan Phantom

Maybe we can arrange a date.

I have both a filtered Falcon with trestles and a dyna’d Club with no sound post. Both great guitars. One difference between the two is the neck contact with the body top. I don’t know whether or not it is related to filter vs dyna or not but am very happy with both. Also, bling is a matter of personal preference. My Club has more bling than my Falcon.

Hey Steve..what’s your 6120 look like.. I got a 2003 Cad Green CC that gets no play.. Also note that the Club has the Zero fret

Hey Steve..what’s your 6120 look like.. I got a 2003 Cad Green CC that gets no play.. Also note that the Club has the Zero fret

– SLICKFASTER

Link

Trying to figure out how to post pics using my iPhone. See the link in the previous post. It’s a gorgeous guitar, looks like new!

I have a 1962 & a 1964 Country Club. I had a 2008 White Falcon (the LTV’59 version) put a Tru Arc on it and better quality CTS pots, PIO caps, etc. it was a wonderful guitar but I sold it! Why you ask? It just didn’t sound as great or play as well as either of my vintage Clubs! Now the current owner loves this guitar, but I feel that since both were made before The Beatles hit our shores that it’s better than anything they built for a couple of years after that. By the end of 1964 Gretsch was 50,000 guitars back-ordered. But as nice as they new guitars are, I just don’t think they sound/play like the vintage ones do. Terada makes nice guitars but they need to do a few,things to put them in the same class as the good vintage Gretsch. I’ve owned and played Gretsch since 1969 and I’ve had probably around 35-40 Gretsch’s.

Register Sign in to join the conversation