Modern Gretsch Guitars

Exciting Pearl Jet (and Gretsch Pages) news

Would it over the top for the headplate to be matching too?

Nope. I like that.

I'm also pretty serious about Dynas.

But one thing I've often imagined is Dynas, in their original form factor, which mount in routs rather than surface-mounting. Without rings/bezels - like soapbar P90s. I think that's very clean-looking, would presumably allow easier height adjustment, and would be extra-double killer all the way around.

I seriously doubt we're going there though; it would mean developing a different shell and mounting system. But it would hugely modernize the look of a Dyna install...

I let my mind run off on a 5-minute detour into a scenario which included block fret markers with graphics on them (a la cowboy practice) depicting great moments in GDP history. There would be one with a poufed-up rockabilly mullet in honor of the Brian Setzer hair thread; one showing a can of Lemon Pledge; one showing gold piping...I'm sure we could all nominate other candidate threads-n-happenings to immortalize.

We could probably lean on GDP members to design the little graphics.

But it all might be a little too precious. And even if this is a flashy Jet, it shouldn't tumble over the top into kitsch.

Would there be any point in having a spruce top under the Nitron? I like spruce tops.

Also, I see sparkle finishes being bandied about. I love sparkle. I'd love to have a red sparkle. But most of the original impetus for this was to revive pearl. I vote we stay pearl. I'm good with any pearl so far mooted. I still have an affinity for red, but I know we're headed toward silver-blueness. Is OK.

Is there such a thing as orange pearl? Would we do that?

No zero fret? Blasphemy! (wink)

Now this is a jolly good idea, seems a Jet may be in my future...

My preferences would be thus:

• Fully chambered
  • White Pearl, or Black Diamond as a second choice (I'm not keen on the stripey Pearl, the diamond pearl has a more uniform, yet random pattern)
  • Dynas
  • B3
  • Humpblock markers in matching pearl
  • Vintage style TRC
  • Scripty logo
  • Plain wood headstock (sorry Dave)
  • Nickel brightwork
  • No zero fret
  • Gretsch Pages referenced on the TRC
  • As a special treat it would be good if we could recreate the tone circuit of those original Dyna Gretsches - it's very different

No, no zero fret.

No V-neck. I'm good with the other neck ideas suggested - ie, DE-like.

And no cowboy. I can live with the horseshoe, though it seems unnecessary. But DEFinitely no westerner than that.

I think most of us would be on-board for no cowboy but I do like the inlay design suggestions, you made.

I'm gonna have to figure out how to compile the specs, and note which ones are pretty locked vs still getting votes.

I gotta admit, I'm torn on midnight blue vs black pearl

and on the back side.. mahogany? Black?

Great Idea!

What about something like Blue Opal for the top, to complement the Abalone inlays?

Instead of a Western Orange theme, or Nashville Country, or Rock or Rockabilly, the mood is cool South Pacific...

You know, where the Pearls come from!

Yet, another Blue Guitar opportunity, maybe best with a Maple board, or Koa?

How much? And When?

The fret makers could carry the initials of some of the members we've lost over the years, or maybe their username.

Mahogany everywhere but top. I'm rosewoodier on the fretboard; that's the usual pairing with Dynas, and it works works works.

What's the deal with CITES and new rosewood?

Split the difference? Ebonized rosewood?

Very interested here. I like mahogany for back and sides. Definitely like the DE neck profile. I like zero frets and vintage size frets, but not a deal breaker.

If we decide to go with Filtertrons, may I suggest optional Off Kiltertrons? Proteus, you may get close enough to Dyna tone with the OKTs? :)

There is also the satin flame drum wraps from the late 60s / early 70s. I guarantee no guitar has ever been covered with a satin flame!!

Probably not made anymore would have to use old stock if it exists. Also satin finishes are famous for scratching easily. But still...

Aquamarine satin flame.

White Satin Flame.

What's the deal with CITES and new rosewood?

– Deke Martin

My understanding is that Indian rosewood has now been incorporated into CITES. As a result with Fenders now, at least, all you get is pau ferro. Pau ferro seems to look lighter in color than rosewood, but I've read that it feels like ebony. I've never tried it. The ebony board on my 65 6120 is my favorite of any Gretsch fretboard I have.

Another vote for Hump Blocks.

Matching pearl headstock, too.

I'm good with Blue or Black.

Scripty logo.

DE neck profile would be a dream.

Dynas only!

V cut B3!

I'll replace the B3 with a B11 on mine.

Oh ye of little vision.

"I let my mind run off on a 5-minute detour into a scenario which included block fret markers with graphics on them (a la cowboy practice) depicting great moments in GDP history. There would be one with a poufed-up rockabilly mullet in honor of the Brian Setzer hair thread; one showing a can of Lemon Pledge; one showing gold piping...I'm sure we could all nominate other candidate threads-n-happenings to immortalize."

I think that novelty would wear off in 15 minutes. Sorry. I vote no.

The fret makers could carry the initials of some of the members we've lost over the years, or maybe their username.

– Deke Martin

This is an awesome idea!

My $.02

Do not put that square anniversary emblem on the headstock. Make an “Anniversary” trus rod cover and put the dang Gretsch horseshoe emblem on the headstock instead

I'm thinking that I may be in for one of these. I have an entire year to save up so it's lookin' good.

Dynas. Scripty. V cut Bigsby with DE handle. Silvery blue. Humpblocks or thumbnails. Chambered. Tru-Arc. DE neck profile.

Maybe a H.S.C. with G.D,P. stenciled on it.

I think that novelty would wear off in 15 minutes. Sorry. I vote no.

Oh, I absoLUTEly vote NO. The post was meant as an amusing thought detour that could not possibly be taken seriously as an actual suggestion!

Register Sign in to join the conversation