Modern Gretsch Guitars

Exciting Pearl Jet (and Gretsch Pages) news

If Rocky can get this well sub $2k, then I’m in the mix.

Needs a Stainless Serpentune, though.

'll be pretty disappointed if this GDP guitar comes with a street price that's north of $2k.

I'll be surprised if it's not. I'm happy to be surprised, though.

I'm not a fan of the Players Edition Jets. I don't like tension bar Bigsbys. If it had a B3, I'd be all over it. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for an older FMIC era blue pearl Jet, I guess.

Or the guitar this thread is about:

As far as I'm concerned, Ed, we specced a B3 with a DE handle and (hopefully) string-through. I have a soft-preference for a V-cutout but it's a pretty soft preference.

(Baxter, post 290)

Where are we on this, is there any news?

I agree with Mel. The pearl pattern on the red ones they did is way better than the pearl with the lines. Also, a hollow body in aqua pearl would be way cool. They did a 6120 in blue pearl several years back an the pearl looks great on a hollow body. Doing up the fretboard and headstock in the pearl as well would be cool too.

Rocky passed along some finish options. Personally, I'm still digging the black, followed by the silver. The white is interesting, but seems washed out, at least in the example.

That Royal blue certainly turns my crank!!!

Hmm, not really sure what we're looking at here. Bax, are these swatches of the pearl or Photoshop mock-ups? I would infer from the actual colours that the top one is 'white', although the pencil writing suggests the lower one is the white. Either way, it looks nothing like the white in Post 9.

Or is this coloured lacquer over a base sheet of silver pearl? Certainly what it looks like, judging from the thin strips of silver where it looks like masking tape was. If so, it'll never look like the white in post 9. The only way to achieve white pearl is to use white pearl. White paint over silver pearl will just hide definition and, as you said, leave it looking washed out.

I thought the blue was a lighter tint but I like that too.

I'll be honest, Deke, I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking at, either.

Blue won the vote, albeit, a different shade of blue.

I have my sights set on Sky Blue Pearl, but they already sell a non Dyna version of that, so that Lapis Blue Pearl or Black Pearl work for me in a Dyna configuration.

Yeah, when I think of blue pearl drum wrap, this is what comes to mind:

Obviously there are others, but to me that's the classic.

Yeah, when I think of blue pearl drum wrap, this is what comes to mind:

Obviously there are others, but to me that's the classic.

– Afire

Here is that drum wrap in action in black and white:

And in color (decent shot at 3:10):

I got no dog in this hunt , but that dark blue is killer!

Bumping to hear more thoughts.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Rocky on what exactly we're looking at there, too.

That’s definitely not several pieces of separate material. The lines and figure in the pattern extend through the silvery bands from one color to another.

I wouldn’t be in for that “white pearl” either. In fact, I remain a big not-fan of any pearl with the strong horizontal (or even diagonal) banding. But that’s just me.

I agree with Proteus on this. I think the stripey pearl looks great on drums but not on guitars.

I prefer the lined ones myself because I think the swirl looks too much like burled walnut with color.

I can go either way on that.... just make it blue!

I'm still waiting to hear back from Rocky on what exactly we're looking at there, too.

– Baxter

I see a one piece of silver pearl material in a guitar like shape mounted on a wooden panel with 2 stripes of clear tape to separate the 3 sprayed colors.

– Baxter

I see a one piece of silver pearl material in a guitar like shape mounted on a wooden panel with 2 stripes of clear tape to separate the 3 sprayed colors.

Register Sign in to join the conversation