Modern Gretsch Guitars

Exciting Pearl Jet (and Gretsch Pages) news

So blue was (by one vote) the most popular first choice, but what really helped it was that it was the second-most-popular second choice. White had a steep drop-off. People either really liked it or really didn't. It was all really close though. I thought for awhile Black was going to come out on top.

Yeah... that's really close, and considering that 4 of the voters aren't looking to participate in the purchase, we need to revisit this after we have more of a firm idea of who's "in".

I was one of the people on the fence and I voted Blue with black as my second, if that helps.

We know all three colors are available (at least to some extent) because we've seen recent examples of all three. I gave more weight to the Gretsch colors linked some pages back than the delmar, but they're pretty close overall anyway.

– Baxter

I believe that those wraps in the Delmar Products catalogue are the choices of wraps that you will most likely ultimately have. Perhaps there is a wrap there that is close to the one that you have in mind, but, if not, then you may wish to rethink just what the wrap will be.

Have you talked with Rocky at all about the available wraps? I would urge you, Bax, to look into this whole thing further. I will send you a note offline.

I agree, talking to Rocky is the next step.

Sky blue pearl top; I must say the I'm excited, even though I'm not one of the lucky ones who will be ordering one. If anyone is unsure of what sky blue pearl looks like, there are examples here: https://jamminsam.com/vinta...

I can't recall if the binding was discussed or not. In my mind, the guitar looks very vintage with the pearl and nickle hardware and white binding doesn't seem to fit the picture. Others may disagree, but I wonder if an aged binding color would add to the cost.

Agreed, and I have no skin in this hunt either.

I've been an aged binding fan for quite a while now. It just takes that "edge" off the whitewall white binding. Allows it to blend in better to my eyes.

IIRC, Curt commented that the aged binding is a different binding than the white. Already aged, so tinted laquer/poly isn't needed to tame it down.

May or may not be a cost adder.

My very first Gretsch was a sky blue pearl snare drum.

I'm excited for more details about this! If there was ever a Gretsch to buy, it would be one commemorating the forum that got so many people hooked and educated.

FWIW, as someone seriously considering going in on this, I would really love to see a more random style pearl pattern without the horizontal stripes/lines; personally I find the horizontal stripes really distract from the overall shape of the guitar to where all I see is the stripes. I care a lot less about the specific color of the pearl than the type of pearl. Something like this custom shop Jet that Proteus mentioned earlier, but in whatever color, and I'm in.

I’ve already asked Curt what it would cost to strip an unsightly top and replace with choice. It’s not cheap, exactly, but it’s not prohibitive either. That will be part of my calculus when the feasibility and pricing firm up.

So, you miss a few days around here, and, you're just too late. Dang.

I’ve already asked Curt what it would cost to strip an unsightly top and replace with choice. It’s not cheap, exactly, but it’s not prohibitive either. That will be part of my calculus when the feasibility and pricing firm up.

– Proteus

Nice, it looks like I’ve perfected my pricing model.

Nice, it looks like I’ve perfected my pricing model.

My brother says if you double your prices and only lose 40% of your customers, you come out ahead. That kinda offends my sense of fair value, so I haven't tried it.

So, you miss a few days around here, and, you're just too late. Dang.

For what, Ms Liv? I bet Bax would still work your survey results in if you self-qualify as a serious maybe.

Fascinating thread . came in too late to contribute on specs but I like where it ended up and if fortune smiles would love to get one when they materialize...

I guess I thought that the Pearl Jets were all Filtertron based, so having the GDP Jet get Dyna's was an interesting change... but then I saw this in an Ebay listing (out of Japan).

I guess I thought that the Pearl Jets were all Filtertron based, so having the GDP Jet get Dyna's was an interesting change... but then I saw this in an Ebay listing (out of Japan).

– kc_eddie_b

How many hundreds of thousands of yen do they want for this?

It’s on eBay for $1790 plus $150 shipping

That’s appreciably less than I expect the GDPmobile will be.

That’s appreciably less than I expect the GDPmobile will be.

– Proteus

The asking price, or the feature package??

Asking price. Obviously it's not the entire package - wrong inlays, no Bigbsy, "wrong" bridge, and (weirdly) no GDP graphic - but that's all minor stuff compared to the build, top, and pickups.

It’s on eBay for $1790 plus $150 shipping

– NJBob

That's cheaper than any filter equipped one I've seen for sale.

That's cheaper than any filter equipped one I've seen for sale.

– crowbone

I've actually seen a couple filter Pearl Jets in the $1200 range in the past. I've always told myself that the first one I came across for $1k or less I'd jump on. I'm still waiting!

I've actually seen a couple filter Pearl Jets in the $1200 range in the past. I've always told myself that the first one I came across for $1k or less I'd jump on. I'm still waiting!

– kc_eddie_b

Don't hold your breath........you'll end up as blue as some of your guitars! Lol

Based on what I've paid Rocky in the past for an FSR Jet... I'll be pretty disappointed if this GDP guitar comes with a street price that's north of $2k.

Register Sign in to join the conversation