Modern Gretsch Guitars

Exciting Pearl Jet (and Gretsch Pages) news

So, picking up where this thread left off, I've got some exciting news.

We have not one, but TWO chances to get a pearl jet coming up.

First up, there's going to be a limited run of Pearl Jets with Players Edition specs hitting the streets soon -- as early as within the next month. If you think that's the sort of thing that might float your boat -- and I certainly see how it would -- give Rocky a call, he's agreed to give Gretsch Pages members a special discount on them. I don't want to post it here, but if you're interested, talk to Rocky for the details. It's pretty sweet.

Second up, it looks like we're a go for a special Gretsch Pages Pearl Jet, which would be available next year (2020) coinciding with the site's 25th anniversary!

Why not do an Anniversary instead? Well...

1. There are already so many great Annies we'd have a hard time coming up with our own specs for something special.
  2. I've always loved Pearl Jets all the way back to 1995 when I was just starting the site (and they were regular catalog items at the time) and
  3. Logic has never been our strong suit

We need to lock down the specs on this one (started in the thread linked above). I have a strong preference for

• Fully chambered body
  • Silver-y Pearl (silver anniversary, right?) although I'm open to silvery-blue or silvery-black
  • B3
  • Small headstock
  • Dynasonics (preferably T-Armonds or Duncans)
  • A TruArc (probably Aluminum, I think)

Left to my own preferences, I'd spec a DE handle and thumbnail markers, too.

So let's here your thoughts, and if you want in on one of these next year, speak up. It'll take a year, but a head count will really help!

Midnight Blue Pearl, full wrap! All Chome. Complimentary fretboard markers. COMPTON bridge. Dynos. Yep, small head stock in matching color w/ Steerhead (or some gratuitous cowboy schtick regardless) You know, manly, not poufed-up or girly sparkles. DE handle, no wire. All the Mojo in the electrics.

Scripty would be nice, too.

The Gretschpages Anniv. would be special. Keep us posted, Tim!

Fret Markers might want to nod to the GDP.

Or maybe something more discreet, maybe on the truss rod cover or pick guard.

I like the specs - especially something chambered like the vintage select with deArmonds from TV Jones and a B3 Duane Eddy handle.

Maybe reverence to the original Gretsch drum catalogs for the drum wrap cover?

Some of these were lacquer e.g., copper mist and cadillac green. How often do we see cameo coral?

I think I've only seen peacock sparkle on a drum once, but black pearl, white pearl and midnight blue would all qualify as "pearl jets" and have cool historical connection.

White pearl - haven't seen this on a guitar. It's cool

Midnight blue - this is basically what most of the jets on the other thread seem to have.

By the way Bax, Congrats! This was a great idea from Gretsch. They should also add TB to the end of the model for Tim Baxter or at least GDP.

Black pearl. Also cool. Often called Black Diamond Pearl by other companies like Ludwig.

Black Pearl or Midnight Pearl are my favorites. Either would look killer on this special run.

That said, unfortunately, I won't be a player for one of these. I've been on a "one in, one out" rule for several years now. I've gotten down to three Prolines that I love, and probably just can't part with any of them.

Don't get me wrong, one of these Jets would be very cool to have. For me, it'll be fun to see what the final configuration is.

Very cool GDP project for a special run. Best to all who will be getting one.

I'll be in.

I like Bax's specs, with some suggestions.

• I'm agnostic about fret markers - assuming it's humpblocks or thumbnails. No blocks. BUT - the markers should be of the same pearl material as the top.

• How about a B11 instead of the usual Bigs? It's sleeker and looks cooler.

• "GDP 25" needs to be on TRC or tastefully on pickguard.

• How about medium jumbo frets rather than anything over-vintagey?

• I wouldn't hate a scripty logo. Agnostic about a horseshoe logo on headstock. But NO closer to gratuitous cowboy schtick.

• Gotta decide whether Standard or Serp Tru-Arc. Standard would add least to FMIC's cost in the guitar. Then I would give owners the opportunity to swap out for any Tru-Arc they want, with full retail credit for the OEM bridge.

Thinking about a GDP25 embossed logo on the bridge too...

I'll always lean toward the blue-pearl covering... but the primary feature we'll need to nail-down is the pickup selection. I'd lobby for Filtertrons, but that's just me. I love the idea of a wide handle B3, and think an arm rest would be a tasteful addition that helps to subtly separate this model from the pack aesthetically. In a perfect world (perhaps wandering into CS territory) a double-bound body would be the bees-knees!

Food for thought on neck specs:

Rosewood board if Dynas are the winner. 9.5" radius? Brass nut? Gretsch Vintage "V" profile? All worth consideration at the least.

I like Prot's thoughts on the larger frets, and possibly matching sparkle fretboard markers.

Dang nice offer that he's offering on bridges too.

So much for folks to consider to make this a really special, special edition run.

I'm agnostic about fret markers - assuming it's humpblocks or thumbnails. No blocks. BUT - the markers should be of the same pearl material as the top.

Yeah, blocks would be my least-fave choice, too. I do like he idea of the markers matching the pearl.

How about a B11 instead of the usual Bigs? It's sleeker and looks cooler.

Personally, I think the v-cut B3 is the sleekest and coolest looking, but looking forward to what others think.

"GDP 25" needs to be on TRC or tastefully on pickguard. Or maybe something with the logo?

How about medium jumbo frets rather than anything over-vintagey? Yes!

I wouldn't hate a scripty logo. Agnostic about a horseshoe logo on headstock. But NO closer to gratuitous cowboy schtick.

Yeah, not a cowboy guitar. But a lucky horseshoe in the same pearl as the top? Might be cool?

Gotta decide whether Standard or Serp Tru-Arc. Standard would add least to FMIC's cost in the guitar. Then I would give owners the opportunity to swap out for any Tru-Arc they want, with full retail credit for the OEM bridge.

I'd vote standard, and I think your offer to swap is great. Very generous!

I'll always lean toward the blue-pearl covering... but the primary feature we'll need to nail-down is the pickup selection. I'd lobby for Filtertrons, but that's just me. I love the idea of a wide handle B3, and think an arm rest would be a tasteful addition that helps to subtly separate this model from the pack aesthetically. In a perfect world (perhaps wandering into CS territory) a double-bound body would be the bees-knees!

– kc_eddie_b

I'm with you Ed on the Filters. Got to have the mud switch with those!

Also, can we get whatever magic dust they sprinkled on the DE neck?

I think if you want Filters, the players edition run coming up next month may be the better bet. I'm feeling pretty adamant about Dynas.

How about Orange binding to match the GDP logo. A double thin line would be the stuff but we're tripping into CS territory, I'm sure.

Proteus says...the markers should be of the same pearl material as the top.

Would it over the top for the headplate to be matching too?

If you MUST have Dynas, then you HAVE to go with hump-block fretboard inlays. Otherwise it will look just like all those Dyna/thumbnail re-necks that came out of the late 50s.

Can we at least agree on NO zero fret?!

I'm interested, but any cowboy decor or v-shaped neck would be deal-breakers for me.

Register Sign in to join the conversation