Modern Gretsch Guitars

Electromatics are the Gateway Drug…”

Hopefully, this one's the gateway drug to smaller headstocks for tiny guitars. ;)

...to the Pro line. This has been postulated in the past, someone buys an Electromatic, then decides a Pro-line is an even better option. Well I’m here to tell ya, it’s true. Not that Pro-lines are particularly new to me, but I picked up that fun little Double Jet a couple weeks ago, and I like it so much it just made me wonder how good a Pro-line doublecut would be. Saw a couple, one was even a special-run at Rocky’s place, kept looking around while trying to figure out what I’d have to sell to cover a doublecut Jet, and wouldn’t ya know it, a guy on the other forum decided to divest some of his guitars, and he’s got some nice ones. One of which is, a Broadway Jade Penguin. I remember when Mrs. giffenf and I were at the NAMM Show the year that model debuted. She saw it in the Gretsch booth and said “That’s a really pretty guitar.” That seemed like she meant it was OK to buy one. But not in the budget then (not really in the budget now, but I’ll make it work).

That was about the last I’d thought about one of these until this one came up for sale. Not just a Jet, a PENGUIN. And no auto-tarnish gold hardware, all chrome. And the inserts under the pickup covers are WHITE. How cool is that? Vertical logo, check. Double-cut, check. And of course, it’s a Jet, or very close relative thereof, so, check. It even comes with a rocking bar bridge, though that’ll likely get Tru Arc’d shortly. Gonna be a few weeks before I get to gig with it (though the notion of playing it at a country gig seems pretty intriguing), so maybe I’ll be used to it by the time that day comes.

And even if I misinterpreted her statement, that it's this model should help in the forgiveness process. I hope.

– giffenf

Holy Crap that's nice. Add one more to my bucket list.

Congratulations Frank. That's a sweet guitar! What are you going to do with your Electromatic Double Jet now?

I don't know... all I have now is a couple Electros, my modded 5422 and an older projet, sold the prolines I had over the years (bamboo Annie, dyna duo jet and RHH). My Electros are plenty for what I do, and in the case of my electro, now that it's modded, there's no equivalent in the pro line (no equivalent features wise, not talking quality of course).

– Thomas

A 5422 with HS Filtertrons or some TV Jones Ray Butts would be a guitar I could easily get into.

BuddyHollywood, I'm considering putting TV Jones pickups in my 5422. It is a very nice guitar, as is, but it could be even better with a pu upgrade. I bought it as a total noobe, I had absolutely no experience with, or knowledge about Gretsch guitars, other than knowing Chet Atkins played them. Much to my surprise, and delight, the 5422 hit a home run with me. Myself, and everyone who plays it, just can't say enough good things about it. It has a clear and articulate voice, and chimes like a bell.

After hanging around on the GDP, for the last year and a half, my knowledge is increasing exponentially. This site has a tremendous wealth of knowledge, and has a community that is both gracious and willing to share.

What are you going to do with your Electromatic Double Jet now?

It's not going anywhere. Once I get the tuning stabilized, I'll probably continue gigging with it. I just ordered a pair of TVJ Ray Butts pickups, and by the time they get here, I will have decided whether to put them into the Penguin or the Double Jet.

A 5422 with HS Filtertrons or some TV Jones Ray Butts would be a guitar I could easily get into.

– BuddyHollywood

You got me thinking Buddy.

I've got a pair of TV Ray Butts that I'll be putting in my -58 RI Gent shortly.

Now I'm thinking of using the HS Filters from the Gent in my 5422T???

I like the sound of the HS Filters, but I just had to get those RB's for the -58.

Thought of selling the HS's, but I think that I'll hang on to them, and get them into the 5422 over this Winter.

Thanks for stirring up the gray matter between my ears! Lol

Frank needs an intervention.

Easy now, big fella. Two guitars got traded for the Tele, two more for the Double Jet, and it's going to take a few more finding new homes to offset the cost of this one. I'm long overdue for a big Garage Sale post, this could motivate me to make it happen.

Oh boy, have I got an amp for you.

You have my undivided attention, Ethan.

That would NOT work at my house.

I'm not holding out a lot of hope, but it's the best I've got at this point.

Well, pretty cool - but I'd have the local paint emporium scan the body color, buy a pint of that paint, and turn those covers Broadway Jade.

But it's a very subtle metalflake finish, don't know if I want to try to duplicate that, and not completely sure I won't swap out the pickups. They're a little lifeless compared to the TVJs I'm used to, but taking Brian Setzer's advice and "turn the amp up!," they take on a little more liveliness. We'll see.

– giffenf

A surfy green thing.

You got me thinking Buddy.

I've got a pair of TV Ray Butts that I'll be putting in my -58 RI Gent shortly.

Now I'm thinking of using the HS Filters from the Gent in my 5422T???

I like the sound of the HS Filters, but I just had to get those RB's for the -58.

Thought of selling the HS's, but I think that I'll hang on to them, and get them into the 5422 over this Winter.

Thanks for stirring up the gray matter between my ears! Lol

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

This sounds like a win!

Now he needs a matching Leisure suit!

It's a 70's thing...

This sounds like a win!

– BuddyHollywood

I think it will be, and the price is right! Lol

I tend to think that Fender/Gretsch marketting has created the issue here. I have two Electromatics that do all that I need them to do. Investing another $2000 into the instrument is not going to change my sound one bit. I happen to be very happy where I am. Over the last 60 years, I've been through this same arguement with Fender, Gibson, Taylor and Martin.

A surfy green thing.

Holy color-coordination, Batman! Tell me more about that beauty.

In my case I bought a lovely Streamliner and decided to jump in and purchase a 6120T 59. Love them both.

Register Sign in to join the conversation