Modern Gretsch Guitars

Electromatic Hilotron pickup upgrade

Good day all Any suggestions for direct replacement pickups for the hilotrons?

looking for more clarity and punch.

thanks for your input

thanks for your input

– Doyster15

Try some TV Jones TV-HTs. I used some a while back on my '68 Chet Atkins Tennessean, the difference is pretty amazing. When you visit their site, you can leave a message and tell them what guitar you have and what you're looking for and they'll make a recommendation. It sometimes takes a day or two to get an answer, but it's worth the wait.

thanks for your input

– Doyster15

Let's be more specific. You posted this in the Modern Guitars section, so I assume you are talking about a modern Electromatic guitar.

That being said, Are you referring to the traditional Gretsch HiLoTron, which has never been used in modern Electromatic models, or are you referring to the newer "Super HiLoTron" used in some modern Electromatics? I ask all this because, despite their similar outward appearance, they are very different pickups internally, and also very different mounting configurations. Let's make sure we are talking about the correct pickup before proceeding, because it will definitely affect the correct answer.

To begin, what model guitar are you referring to?

Good evening

I am referring to the hilotrons that come stock in my electromatic G5622T

thank you Roy

Here is a pic of my Electromatic G5622

OK, so we're talking about Super HiLoTrons. With these, you should be able to easily substitute any TV Jones Filtertron-sized products using the dual screw mount adaptors.

Give the Super Hilotrons a try for a while before replacing them. I have two 5622's with the Super Hilos. I did a gig Saturday night with them and really liked the clarity and overall sound. They seem to take pedals well too. Band members continually rave about the sound.

Let your ears do the judging! If you like 'em, keep 'em. Totally your ears and your choice!

Register Sign in to join the conversation