Modern Gretsch Guitars

Dynas vs. T-Armonds

Well. I've spent a couple of days playing my 2 Jets back to back and if I didn't know better, I'd guess that Gretsch has changed something in the latest generation of Dynasonics. Compared to the TAs in my Red Sparkle, the Dynas are louder, brighter, more dynamic and just overall better. They are also less noisy, with virtually no single coil hum. Heck, I can't even make them squeal like a pig.

Gone is the weak sounding bridge pickup too. Something definitely seems different. When I get a chance I'll put a meter on the leads.

Keep us posted on your findings. I have not had much luck with Dyna'sonics; TAs, yes, but not Dynas. I do love the sound in the lower register, which is probably why Duane Eddy likes them so much. My experience was that they were weak and thin in the upper register on the 1st and 2nd strings, and yes, the bridge position was also weak compared to the neck. If Gretsch has improved them, that's great news.

I also found the Dearmond 2000 (Fender designed) a bit weak in the upper register on the 1st string, but by raising the magnet the frequency response balanced out. I just couldn't get it right with the Dynas though.

Well. I've spent a couple of days playing my 2 Jets back to back and if I didn't know better, I'd guess that Gretsch has changed something in the latest generation of Dynasonics. Compared to the TAs in my Red Sparkle, the Dynas are louder, brighter, more dynamic and just overall better. They are also less noisy, with virtually no single coil hum. Heck, I can't even make them squeal like a pig.

Gone is the weak sounding bridge pickup too. Something definitely seems different. When I get a chance I'll put a meter on the leads.

– Uncle Daddy

one huge difference in instruments, the red sparkle is a plastic drum lam top.. much darker than the standard duojet. Put those TA's in the other jet and you'd get an even better response albeit smoother top end and more defined low end from the TA's over the stock dynas.

one huge difference in instruments, the red sparkle is a plastic drum lam top.. much darker than the standard duojet. Put those TA's in the other jet and you'd get an even better response albeit smoother top end and more defined low end from the TA's over the stock dynas.

– TheNocturneBrain

That explains a lot. I found the TAs to be pretty middy in the Red Sparkle, and ended up swapping the bridge and pots trying to get a bit more top end out of it, the 1meg master volume pot making the biggest difference. It'd never occurred to me that the drum wrap would make such a difference.

However, I still think there may be something else going on. When i put the TAs in the Red Sparkle they were louder and punchier than the original Dynas. The new Dynas in the CG sig are that much again over the TAs. It could be something as simple as pot tolerances, I suppose, but they're definitely less noisy, better balanced and so on. They've finished the black bobbin differently too, so instead of being smooth and flat on the top, they now have fancy machining patterns.

If you have a chance to measure those Dynas, I'd be very interested to hear what your findings are!

Both are excellent.

– Billy Zoom

Billy knows what he's talking about. They are BOTH excellent. SD is smoother on the top, slightly more compressed in the lows. Tarmonds extra tad bit of punch and twang is perfect for the bridge but remember the Tarmonds are much more refined than the asian made dynas that I find strident for everything outside of just complete clean playing w no effects. Dont forget Chet hated those things and Duane Eddy loves them...and Billy loves both of them!

ps. i still choose the Tvjones on semi and plank guitars. I love them on my Nocturne Rooster build

That explains a lot. I found the TAs to be pretty middy in the Red Sparkle, and ended up swapping the bridge and pots trying to get a bit more top end out of it, the 1meg master volume pot making the biggest difference. It'd never occurred to me that the drum wrap would make such a difference.

However, I still think there may be something else going on. When i put the TAs in the Red Sparkle they were louder and punchier than the original Dynas. The new Dynas in the CG sig are that much again over the TAs. It could be something as simple as pot tolerances, I suppose, but they're definitely less noisy, better balanced and so on. They've finished the black bobbin differently too, so instead of being smooth and flat on the top, they now have fancy machining patterns.

– Uncle Daddy

I have a silver jet and was wondering about the top and this explains a lot. It has a really specific sound that I'm not sure I like. I swapped in the CS Seymour Duncans and a tru-arc but it still sounds sorta dead to me and I've been trying to figure out why. I was thinking about trying pots next but maybe it's just the fundamental sound of this guitar. It just doesn't cut with the band at all.

I tried changing the pots in my red sparkle, swapping out the 500k for 1 meg. I started with the 2 individual volumes and the tone, and it became a bit more lively, but swapping the master volume made the biggest difference.

I'd like to try to get hold of one of the no load tone pots fitted in the current players edition, but don't know the part number.

I tried changing the pots in my red sparkle, swapping out the 500k for 1 meg. I started with the 2 individual volumes and the tone, and it became a bit more lively, but swapping the master volume made the biggest difference.

I'd like to try to get hold of one of the no load tone pots fitted in the current players edition, but don't know the part number.

– Uncle Daddy

I think i'll start with the master volume then and see what that gets me.

Register Sign in to join the conversation