Modern Gretsch Guitars

Duo Jet G6128T or G6120DS

I'm having a hard time deciding my next guitar. At the moment, I have a Country Gentleman that is probably my favourite sounding guitar. I also have a Jazzmaster that I'm in the process of putting Filtertrons in.

Having recently sold my 335 (not really a Gibson guy), I'm now in the market for another Gretsch, and thinking of getting something with Dynasonics, and a 24.6" scale to cover more Gretsch tone territory. I've played a G6120DS, and a G6128T, and instantly fell in love with them; however, I honestly can't decide between them. What would you guys pick?

What pickups are in the Duo Jet?

I am not sure why you would put Filters in your Jazzmaster if you are buying more Gretsches. Why not hang on to the JM with its distinctive tone?

The Duo Jet also has Dynasonics.

I have a '65 AVRI Jazzmaster that pulls most of my guitar duties. This other Jazzmaster will be a separate beast, and is comprised of mostly spare parts. I just wanted to marry my favourite guitar, with my favourite pickups.

Both, obviously. Different beasts, both superb and with uniquely different tone.

Start with the one that lights you up most at the moment.

I have setzer filters in a thinline jazzmaster and it’s great, sounds halfway between a gretsch and a regular jm, the vibrato has a lot to do with it. I have a hollow gretsch with tv classics and a 6128t with t-armonds and don’t feel that they overlap that much. I would recommend the jet if it’s a dynasonic model and you’ll have more variety (plus a fantastic easy to play guitar).

I'll be interested to hear the Filtertron JM for just the reason you mention - it's my favorite solidbody as well (but with JM pickups).

(This is not disloyal to Gretsch; the Jet is my favorite chambered solidbody.)

I've been more curious about DynaSonics on a JM - like you, to marry two favorites - but then I thought I'd want the JM chambered.

Finally I decided to leave them as two distinct species.

Cirecc - by thinline JM, do you mean it's mostly hollow? I didn't know they made such a beast. Now I'm wondering again...

I have a G6128T-57 with stock Dynas. I also have a G6120DSV with stock Dynas. I have never come to grips fully with the Duo Jet whereas I love the stock Dynas in the 6120 (as well as in a Country Club). Those pickups, to my ears, sounds slightly anemic in the Duo Jet.

I would highly recommend that you get your hands on one of each and try them out and see what sounds best to your ears. They are definitely different beasts.

Cirecc - by thinline JM, do you mean it's mostly hollow? I didn't know they made such a beast. Now I'm wondering again...

– Proteus

I ordered the body and built it up. It’s mostly hollow alder with a spruce top.

I have a G6128T-57 with stock Dynas. I also have a G6120DSV with stock Dynas. I have never come to grips fully with the Duo Jet whereas I love the stock Dynas in the 6120 (as well as in a Country Club). Those pickups, to my ears, sounds slightly anemic in the Duo Jet.

I would highly recommend that you get your hands on one of each and try them out and see what sounds best to your ears. They are definitely different beasts.

– Ric12string

Upgrading from the stock dynas to tv Jones as well as changing to 1meg pots made a huge difference, though I played it stock for years.

Yes, Google was my friend. Saylor Guitars, Oregon? Looks like he'll build whatever a feller wants, huh?

– Ric12string

I've tried both and have come up with this list of pros v. cons:

G6128T Pros - More comfortable to play - Cadillac Green looks amazing Cons - Sounds thinner than G6120DS

G6120DS Pros - Sounds fuller than Duo Jet - Classic Gretsch styling Cons - Not as comfortable to play as the Duo Jet

I didn't think choosing between these two would be that hard. A good problem to have I suppose. Ultimately I'm just looking for something to compliment my Country Gent.

As for the JM, yes, Saylor will build you just about anything. I don't know if he finishes the guitars, but the bodies can be made to order.

Yes, Google was my friend. Saylor Guitars, Oregon? Looks like he'll build whatever a feller wants, huh?

– Proteus

Yep! I didn’t special order it, he just had it listed, so I jumped on it. I was going for a 6022 aesthetic on the build.

I've tried both and have come up with this list of pros v. cons:

G6128T Pros - More comfortable to play - Cadillac Green looks amazing Cons - Sounds thinner than G6120DS

G6120DS Pros - Sounds fuller than Duo Jet - Classic Gretsch styling Cons - Not as comfortable to play as the Duo Jet

I didn't think choosing between these two would be that hard. A good problem to have I suppose. Ultimately I'm just looking for something to compliment my Country Gent.

As for the JM, yes, Saylor will build you just about anything. I don't know if he finishes the guitars, but the bodies can be made to order.

– TWRC

I used reranch orange (modeled after gretsch) and some tinted lacquer to yellow the orange a bit. The reranch orange is actually very easy to work with and I had no issues with unevenness in the color. I also did a very thin finish, so it’s starting to wear a little already.

It is perhaps just me, but I don't seem to have any difficulty in holding a hollowbody Gretsch and don't find it to be the least bit uncomfortable. That is whether a 16" or 17" lower bout. And I am not that big of a guy, probably being of average build. In fact, the 6120 would feel much like an acoustic guitar in my arms.

If it were I, I would probably opt for the 6120 because I think that you get a better sound from those with the stock Dynas than you do with the Duo Jet. On the other hand, if you are willing to spend the money to swap out the stock Dynas for some T-Armonds or some Seymour Duncan Dynas, then the Jet might be the way to go because you would have a chambered smaller body guitar. If you come from a Les Paul background, that might feel more familiar to you.

Upgrading from the stock dynas to tv Jones as well as changing to 1meg pots made a huge difference, though I played it stock for years. -- Cirecc

I am confident that it made a huge difference. I was relieved, actually, when I spoke with a friend yesterday who had observed the very same thing about the stock Dynas in the Duo Jet. He also felt like they were weak and that he tended to overplay the guitar because he couldn't get it to sound and feel the way he thought he should hear it.

I guess I shouldn't say that the 6120 is uncomfortable. I have some time to ponder, and will be playing the guitars again this week, at which point, a decision must be made!

I found the stock Dynasonics work best in my Duo Jet when I flipped them around 180 degrees. I also added 1 meg pots. This fattened up the bridge pickup and cleaned up the neck pickup. I have a TV Jones spacer underneath the bridge pickup to raise it up. These pickups are also very sensitive to pole height adjustments. I've been playing it for 5 years now and I'm still in the honeymoon phase. It's my favorite sounding guitar. I love the hollow sound with the focused midrange tone. Every time I play this guitar it's a revelation.

I found the stock Dynasonics work best in my Duo Jet when I flipped them around 180 degrees. I also added 1 meg pots. This fattened up the bridge pickup and cleaned up the neck pickup. I have a TV Jones spacer underneath the bridge pickup to raise it up. These pickups are also very sensitive to pole height adjustments. I've been playing it for 5 years now and I'm still in the honeymoon phase. It's my favorite sounding guitar. I love the hollow sound with the focused midrange tone. Every time I play this guitar it's a revelation.

– BuddyHollywood

This is extremely interesting, and could very well be another tick in the pro column for the Duo Jet, as the bridge pickup is a touch on the thinner side than it is in the 6120. If I do indeed end up with the Duo Jet, I'll have to do this mod! Thanks so much for the insight.

Can I ask, did you use Linear or Log pots? Did you include the tone pot, too? Thanks.

Can I ask, did you use Linear or Log pots? Did you include the tone pot, too? Thanks.

– Uncle Daddy

I followed Billy Zoom's experience and wisdom and installed linear pots for the individual volumes and tone and an audio pot for the master volume.

So I ended up going with a slight variant on the DS...I now have an incoming 6120 Duane Eddy, and I couldn't be more excited! I played a DE for the first time yesterday and upon first strum, I knew I had to have one. Stay tuned for a "NGD" post!

THAT is an excellent choice for your first 6120.

THAT is an excellent choice for your first 6120.

– Ric12string

Thank you!

To your earlier point about pickups, this DE is coming with a T-Armond in the bridge, which I think will compliment the stock Dyna in the neck. Every Dynasonic guitar I've played in the last little while all had amazing sounding neck pickups, but the bridge was ever so slightly a bit thinner / lower in volume. Either way, I would have done the bridge pickup flip as BuddyHollywood recommended, but I feel that I have more options at my disposal now.

Thank you!

To your earlier point about pickups, this DE is coming with a T-Armond in the bridge, which I think will compliment the stock Dyna in the neck. Every Dynasonic guitar I've played in the last little while all had amazing sounding neck pickups, but the bridge was ever so slightly a bit thinner / lower in volume. Either way, I would have done the bridge pickup flip as BuddyHollywood recommended, but I feel that I have more options at my disposal now.

– TWRC

I was ready to spring for T'Armonds to get my guitar from 95% to at least 99% but when I flipped the pickups it solved my balance and tone issues. All of the reviews on the T'Armonds I've read confirm that TV Jones dialed in these pickups so they are already balanced.

Register Sign in to join the conversation